oiled tires and fish tailed on the freeway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oiled tires and fish tailed on the freeway

Right now while I wait for my ride I figured I would share this...

10 min ago on southbound 15 by miramar I was rockin out in the express lane, the 2 lanes in the middle of the freeway... I look down and the last thing anyone wants to see I saw.. oil light. Before I can even grab my clutch and hit my killswitch my rear wheel locks up at about 75mph. My rear tire, soaked with oil fishtailed every which way and I can see my tire marks that go for about 300 feet because I had no braking power due to an oily tire and caliper.

My oilpan screw is MIA.

Now I'm laying down on the cement divider. I think its time for a nap.

Wow...you doing okay?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

oh frack! Thats ****ty, you're alright though, right???

Do you need someone to get you a pair of fresh underwear?!?

Comment

Sounds like that weekend ride is out for this weekend anyway....

Comment

I'm fine, I almost lost it when the back end was about 45 degrees sideways and my front wheels were forward but in the dust on the side of the road that's an inch thick.. front brake didn't help worth a damn.. Luckily I'm used to riding motocross so those skills carried over along with my ability to remain calm. No doubt I would have hit the ground doin atleast 60 if it was worse then who knows from there. I just want some food and to get out of the sun.

Comment

Why did the back tire lock up ? Did the engine lock up too ? Do you have somebody coming to get you and the bike ?

Glad you're okay.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Well if the engine was running on ZERO oil... Its a pretty sure thing that the... everything... is fried. I would guess that's what caused the lockup.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                Well if the engine was running on ZERO oil... Its a pretty sure thing that the... everything... is fried. I would guess that's what caused the lockup.
                '85 700E is the plain bearing crank. It runs right on the aluminum I think. Without oil, the crank probably friction welded itself to the cases. Maybe one of the cams would bind up first, but I don't know if the cam chain is strong enough to lock the wheel at speed. 300' of skid mark. I wonder if that was with the clutch in.

Ranger,

Glad you came through it all right. Too bad about the bike. Time for 7/11? '85... Would that be 7/11.5?
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Glad you have the skills.

Looks like the project's not done afterall.

At least you've got us to cheer you on and put in 2 cents here and there.

Look at the bright side......just think how much you just saved on hospital bills.

Comment

Originally posted by GSexpress View Post
                    Look at the bright side......just think how much you just saved on hospital bills.
                    Yep -- I can attest to that firsthand. My oil experience three years ago turned out much less well, and the total of the medical bills for my busted leg would have purchased several brand-new bikes.

Heck, even with medical insurance, my portion was easily enough to buy a very nice new bike.

Good on ya for keeping the rubber side down!
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yikes !

Good to hear you are okay.

Tell us more what you find with the bike.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Glad you are ok, Big question is why the drain plug is MIA ? Who changed the oil last ????

Comment

Bike turns over, the threads at the very top of the oil pan are broken, literally. No idea how, the bolt was secure prior to my riding. Strange.

I'm repairing the threads so I won't have oil in it til tomorrow morning at the earliest. For the skid mark this was after the clutch was pulled in, the skid is from me trying to brake but the rear tire was just sliding. When removing the bike from the truck at my friends everything was so oily that the front tire slipped off the ramp and it dropped, broke my mirror and the threads they went into and bent my clip bar.

Fun day.

Unfortunatley if anything else is wrong I don't have the time myself to fix it or money to take it to a shop since classes start soon and this was the whole point of the work I did last week.. make it road ready for 140 miles a day 4 days a week.

Ill put pictures up eventually. I did dislocate my shoulder I realized when trying to rapidly correct the bikes direction but its not uncommon.
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2011, 08:47 PM.

Comment

glad you are Ok
                            so could a thrown rod do this guys?

Comment

I think I'm just going to get the title and sell it then start over this spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X