X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rode To Idyllwild For A Cup Of Coffee

Hi,

EDIT: The video is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ReLglPxuBI

IanF and I decided to ride a little over 150 miles today to have a cup of joe in Idyllwild. It's a little community up about 6000 feet in the San Jacinto mountains a couple of hours east of LA.

This is a Google map link of the fun part of the ride:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8&ie=UTF8&z=11

It was a brisk ride today. At my house the high temperature was about 60ºF and the high in Idyllwild was about 40ºF.

Here we are starting up the mountain.

The higher the elevation, the more snow we ran into.

As you can see, there was something in the road that made us slow down a little. We couldn't decide if it was something that was laid down because of the snow or if it was just pea gravel that was washed onto the road from the wind, rain, and snow.

We stopped at a couple of places on the way up just to take some pictures. I really dig motorcycles in the snow.

My Jessie Blue.

This is Ian on his VX800.

And me on Jessie Blue.

We continued on our way, up the mountain to Idyllwild. Spring has not yet come to this part of California.

We rolled into town and found the coffee shop. It was a jumpin' joint.

That's 10 pictures. More to come.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2011, 09:15 PM.

Why is Cali so pretty when it inhabitants are soooo ugly.
    Nice pictorial thank you for sharing

Comment

Finished With Our Coffee

Hi again,

We finished our coffee and had a little pit stop. I didn't notice very many peculiar looks cast our way, even though we were dressed like fighter pilots in 70's colors. Our trusty steeds were there waiting to continue our journey.

Here are a couple of random shots of downtown Idyllwild.

IanF and I continued south on 243 and picked up Hwy 74 toward Hemet. That's where we found a stunning vista and snapped a few more pictures.

We were below the snow by now but you can probably see the rain off in the distance. After we turned back on the 10 freeway toward home it started getting windy. And we did pass through a couple of showers.

So we got it all today; sun, clouds, wind, rain, snow, hot coffee, lots of curves, a long slab ride, and a ton of fun. It was a great afternoon. I've also got about six and a half minutes of video that I'll put up later.

BassCliff

Comment

Great pics! It's like going a mile to get a camel, but further and less likely to cause cancer...

Does your bike lean out like crazy when you start getting way up there in the altitude? One time I took my dad's GS1kG from his home in Cedar city, UT un into the mountains near Brian head, and it was getting rich to the point that it was very noticeable. Then again Cedar city is pretty far up there to begin with and Brian head is higher still...

Comment

Hi Matt,

No, I didn't notice anything different as we climbed. Jessie ran like a champ the whole way. Last weekend I had just adjusted the valves and sync'd the carbs. She's running great!

It ended up being a 155 mile ride, just perfect for an afternoon jaunt.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi again,

We finished our coffee and had a little pit stop. I didn't notice very many peculiar looks cast our way, even though we were dressed like fighter pilots in 70's colors. Our trusty steeds were there waiting to continue our journey.

Here are a couple of random shots of downtown Idyllwild.

IanF and I continued south on 243 and picked up Hwy 74 toward Hemet. That's where we found a stunning vista and snapped a few more pictures.

We were below the snow by now but you can probably see the rain off in the distance. After we turned back on the 10 freeway toward home it started getting windy. And we did pass through a couple of showers.

So we got it all today; sun, clouds, wind, rain, snow, hot coffee, lots of curves, a long slab ride, and a ton of fun. It was a great afternoon. I've also got about six and a half minutes of video that I'll put up later.

BassCliff
            4 and 5 are stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
              Does your bike lean out like crazy when you start getting way up there in the altitude? ..
              Actually, it would richen up, if anything, but CV-type carbs tend to compensate a bit, so it's not really very noticable.

There is less power, for sure, but the mixture remains close to right.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Really good pictures. It looked a little "cold".

Comment

Originally posted by Schweisshund View Post
                  Really good pictures. It looked a little "cold".
                  Yeah, it's funny. A lot of GSR members can't wait for the snow to go away so they can ride. And what do I do? I take a ride to the snow.

At least I can just visit it when I want to.

BassCliff

Comment

Great pictures Cliff. Looks like a fun day.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Beautiful pictures. I grew up in the area and used to know the 18 miles from Hemet to Idyllwild quite well. At least Idyllwild is still nice, Hemet has really gone downhill (visited last May). Snow on the ground in April? Wow. If you hike there in the summer watch out for the Poison Oak, all over the place.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Cliff. I haven't seen that place since 1968.

cg
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Nice neighborhood ride…

Pretty stuff…
                          Bill
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Thanks Cliff.
                            Enjoyed that.

Nice on-the-road photos sequnce of how more snow the furter you went.

And I like the photos of bikes (and maybe the rider) overlooking scenicview. ALthough I did notice that these photos didnt have the sunshine and blue sky like your photos usally have (even in January when I am scrapeing ice and snow).

So you went up there knowing it was going to be in the 40s. And let me quess. it was 70s maybe low 80s down lower.

(40s...? That was like here yesterday.)

So, WHat is that Idlewild?
                            Just the top of the mountain(?), with a coffeeshop/restraunt/tourist area...?

Man, sure seems like nice places to ride in every direction for you. Well, maybe except for into the urban area.
                            ANd you are on the northern/northcentral edge of the metro area there. So many differerent directions for you to go.

Dave
                            Last edited by Redman; 04-10-2011, 11:54 AM.
                            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Great pics and story!

Comment

Working...
                              X