Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Daytona Bars on the L followed by a weekend of firsts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Daytona Bars on the L followed by a weekend of firsts.

Thursday I got my new black Daytona handlebars fron Bike Bandit. A buddy came over that night and we swapped out those damned buckhorns. I love the new look. New cables for the clutch and throttle are probably in order since the I can feel the extra resistence in the clutch. We looked over the whole bike and discovered that my front brake lever wasn't turning on the brake light so we cleaned the connection and got it working again. Tail light wasn't working so a new bulb fixed that.
    When I rode to work Friday morning I had to come back home and re-adjust the clutch cable, any more than minimal throttle and the clutch would slip. Once that was all set I was off again. What a difference in handling! These new bars have got to be the best way to spend $20 on an L model. It is actually fun to drive now and I dare to take it into a corner now.
    Friday afternoon I rode to Burlington (about 50 miles away) with a buddy and his new Yamaha Raider. It was my first time on the interstate. Other than a minor scare when I passed a log truck (learned about the wind thing) the ride was awesome. I learned my speedometer is way off, what I thought was 65-70 mph was actually 80-85.
    Heading home on Saturday brought my first ride in the rain. While some small part of me was still having fun, it pretty much sucked. I was very happy my new jacket is so reflective.I learned that my cheap rain gear does a better job of keeping the water in than out. I wanted to get off the interstate but knew that meant my ride would be 20 minutes longer so I sucked it up. I was soaked and frozen by the time I got home but it was still a great weekend overall.
    My 3 year old helped me clean all the road crud off today so the bike is ready to ride as soon as the rain lets up.

Ah yes, that's roughly how it was with my L. Wait to you get some air in the forks, or better yet, Progressive springs. It'll leap into corners.

Rerouting the clutch cable will help a lot with getting the sharp bends out of it. On my 850GL, running the cable outboard of the #1 carb instead of between #1 and #2 took up the extra length quite nicely.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
    X