Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A message to all riders - what NOT to do with newbies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A message to all riders - what NOT to do with newbies...

Well guys, here's the result of a trip to Deals Gap...

On the way to Deals Gap, I was stopped at a light in Maryville, TN (highway 411) on my 2007 Yamaha FZ6. There must have been a previous accident at this intersection, as the ground was covered in a 50ft slick of oil and antifreeze. I was at the leftmost part of the lane, as I was trying to avoid being dead center in this giant pile of goo.

Within seconds, I was knocked feet-first onto the ground and my bike went down on it's left side between my legs - I was still standing upright with my hands on the bars. When I looked behind me, it was my buddy's 1982 Suzuki GS650G that had crashed into me. He hit the oily pile of goo and slid over 30ft into the back of my motorcycle.

The stator cover of his bike hit the R/R corner of my swingarm and essentially side-swiped the R/H side of my bike. After hitting me, his bike went down on its R/H side.

Damage to my bike:
    Gouged swingarm
    R/H passenger peg and mount completely broken
    R/H main peg and mount completely broken
    Rear tailsection bent at the R/H peg mount
    L/H clutch lever bent
    Miscellaneous scratches on RH and LH engine covers
    RH plastic frame cover completely broken off/missing
    etc, etc...

Damage to his bike:
    Shattered stator cover
    Destroyed stator
    Destroyed flywheel
    Bent handlebars
    Busted brakeline
    Oil everywhere
    etc, etc...

Both of us had our gear on, he needed 12 stitches in his knee, I received a nasty bruise on my right ankle. My bike is currently at a specialized collision shop for motorcycles in Knoxville, TN (Shrader's Cycle Center). My buddy's bike is sitting in my parents garage in Sevierville, TN - I have all of the parts on order to put it back together. I have to head back to TN in about 1.5wks to get my bike and fix his...

Overall, the cops were insanely courteous and my buddy's insurance company (Geico) is not giving me any hassle when it comes to having my bike fixed. Also, I'm lucky enough to have parents that lived nearby with a truck and trailer to get the bikes home.

Damage grand total:
    My bike - almost $3800, a hair away from being totaled
    His bike - $800 in parts alone

Lessons learned:
    Watch for oil slicks
    ALWAYS let new riders ride in front of you

Sorry to here of this. That's sucks major.

ALWAYS let new riders ride in front of you
    The absolute best advice for dealing with newbs. It is also the only way to be able to critique their riding and stay out of their danger zone.

Frankly newbs scare me and while I've done some mentoring I don't think I would do it again any time soon. I actually cringe when I see posts about newbs because its usually something like this. On our local site, there are often posts about newbs looking for riding partners and there is one going on right now about a "newb friendly group ride". That should be avoided like the plague in my mind. Its dangerous enough riding in a group of experienced folks but utter newbs is really scarey.

After formal instruction I think they should do some parking lot training to reinforce what they have learned then venture on the road by themselves. The first season should really be solo riding and when they do buddy up it should first be a one on one ride, not in a mass. Somehow they tend to want to 'gaggle up" right away it seems.

Again my condolences on your smashed up ride.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

Ouch!!!
      Yes, always have them IN FRONT of you or so far behind that you can just barely keep an eye on them.
      Sorry to hear of your pain both physically and without bike wise.

Daniel

Comment

When I first learned, I refused to ride in front, and I still think it's stupid.
        I'd rather follow someone and catch the rythm of riding and imitating the more experienced rider.

Of course if you don't pay attention to the road surface, you can wipe out.
        It wouldn't make a difference if he was in the Front or Back.

Let me also add this, when a duck first teaches her Young to walk, are they aren't in the front, because they can't learn when the instructor is behind them.

Comment

I've only been riding for a year and a half and the only person I ride with is my dad. I typically ride in front so he can make comments about my riding. Even though its a smart thing to do and I appreciate the tips, I'm a lot more tense when I'm being watched and I know that my riding isn't as smooth as when I'm alone. From what I've experienced, I'd say that new riders should take turns behind and in front so they can learn from the experienced rider and also get the help.

Comment

After a year and a half of riding I think to have the pressure of your dad riding behind and judging your every move is too much. If it is at this point taking away from your concentration it is nothing more than hazardous to you.

Comment

My 18 yr old nephew in UK got a bike in March. By end of april it was wrecked, similar situation-he was run into from behind by his buddy.

When I was a new rider, and even still today, when I ride with someone else I always opt to be last. When people are behind me I feel like the crowd me too much, sometimes just a length behind me but in their 1/2 of the lane (never single file) but I still feel limited to my 1/2 of the lane in corners which limits my options for setting up. Riding last I have control of my spacing for stopping distance, corners, etc. Plus if the others ride a pace they're comfortable with, I tell them in advance if we find some good twisties, I will likely hang WAY back so I can then 'ride my own ride'....harder to do in front without leaving the others well behind, and impossible if you're in the middle.

Curious though, if your buddy had not hit you, would have have continued to slide into the intersection/traffic?

Glad no one was seriously hurt!

Comment

I'm fairly new (second season) and newb position on a ride isn't something I've thought of before. Good info. The few times I've ridden with others I was in the back, mostly because I wasn't fast enough to be in front.

Comment

Another one: Don't take a newbie to Deal's Gap.
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                    Another one: Don't take a newbie to Deal's Gap.

+1 million on that! I just did the Tail last month for the 1st time. That is definately not a road for newbies.

Comment

Working...
                    X