Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1000G vs. ST1100-UJM (riding impressions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G vs. ST1100-UJM (riding impressions)

I've recently completed most of the work on my ST1100 project. I bought a wrecked bike sans plastic parts and added a Vetter Windjammer and a regular set of bars to it, hence the Universal Japanese Motorcycle (UJM) designation. Since I have almost 100 miles on it now, I thought I'd post up the initial impressions of it vs. my beloved GS1000G (which has around 3K miles since I got it on the road).

The ST is not 100% as yet. I need to wire in a tach adapter, and it has a carb issue that limits upper RPM power.

The GS seems like a 500c mid-size bike compared to the ST. The tank is larger on the ST, and the fake tank (cover) is much wider. The V-4 engine puts a lot of heat on your legs.

The GS just flat out sounds better. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's just one of those things you know (both have their stock exhaust system).

Due to the mounting, the fairing sits several inches higher on the ST, so you can't look over it. A cut-down windshield would take care of that issue. Due to the excellent fairing design, both bikes have a nice pocket of calm in my normal riding position. I think the ST will do better for hand protection in cold weather (this was an issue w/ the GS last season until I got some good 12V gloves).

Both bikes do well on my dirt/gravel driveway, something my Concours (now sold) never did well on. I was surprised the ST did as well as it did- it seems much taller and heavier than the GS.

I have yet to wring out the ST on my favorite back road w/ S curves- may do so on Sunday.

The GS is a little buzzier at road speed (65~70) than the ST.

I can't do a fair power comparison test yet due to the carbs.

Although I'm definitely biased, I think that even if the carbs were right on the ST, I enjoy riding the GS a lot more.

If I sell the ST, I think my next bike will be a GS1100G. I have a V65 Sabre to finish first though.

You will tire of the V-65 Sabre too.
    I sold mine as the 1000 bored to 1100 2-valve that I built for my 750 frame is way more FUN to ride!
    The Sabre was better for slab riding with the 63" (?) wheelbase.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
      I've recently completed most of the work on my ST1100 project. I bought a wrecked bike sans plastic parts and added a Vetter Windjammer and a regular set of bars to it, hence the Universal Japanese Motorcycle (UJM) designation. Since I have almost 100 miles on it now, I thought I'd post up the initial impressions of it vs. my beloved GS1000G (which has around 3K miles since I got it on the road).

The ST is not 100% as yet. I need to wire in a tach adapter, and it has a carb issue that limits upper RPM power.

The GS seems like a 500c mid-size bike compared to the ST. The tank is larger on the ST, and the fake tank (cover) is much wider. The V-4 engine puts a lot of heat on your legs.

The GS just flat out sounds better. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's just one of those things you know (both have their stock exhaust system).

Due to the mounting, the fairing sits several inches higher on the ST, so you can't look over it. A cut-down windshield would take care of that issue. Due to the excellent fairing design, both bikes have a nice pocket of calm in my normal riding position. I think the ST will do better for hand protection in cold weather (this was an issue w/ the GS last season until I got some good 12V gloves).

Both bikes do well on my dirt/gravel driveway, something my Concours (now sold) never did well on. I was surprised the ST did as well as it did- it seems much taller and heavier than the GS.

I have yet to wring out the ST on my favorite back road w/ S curves- may do so on Sunday.

The GS is a little buzzier at road speed (65~70) than the ST.

I can't do a fair power comparison test yet due to the carbs.

Although I'm definitely biased, I think that even if the carbs were right on the ST, I enjoy riding the GS a lot more.

If I sell the ST, I think my next bike will be a GS1100G. I have a V65 Sabre to finish first though.
      Paul, do you have pics of the ST anywhere?
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I've got quite a few from the past 8 months or so, here's a couple:
        Before:

After:

Album link

Comment

The GS definitely looks better....in my humble opinion.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

If I remember right those sabres are about 120hp aren't they? Not too shabby if ya ask me. The GS without a doubt looks better.

Comment

Well it's 0 HP until I get it running.

I rode the ST to church last week, and a guy that rides an old RD350 asked me if it was a 'Guzzi. I asked him what he thought it was and he didn't know. He was surprised to hear it was a Honda ST1100.

The GS definitely looks better
              Amen, you're preaching to the choir. I have about 100 or so miles on the ST and like 3900 on the GS since last fall. I'm seriously biased FOR the GS due to my younger days, though.

I'll say this- both models have excellent forums- lots of people willing to help. I had a big issue with the timing belt on the ST, ended up bending some valves when I set it per the shop manual. We brainstormed it through. They also gave me some tips on rebuilding the cover mounts for the bags. Not as many hands-on riders there as here as far as tearing engines down, but a great group nonetheless.

Now if my right honorable friend TKent would be interested in trading that GS1100G he has for an oddball ST1100...

Comment

If you get an 1100G you will love it! I like the 1000G too but have never riden one to compare to the 1100 and am sure that it would be very nice also. I own several ducatis, a 1000S Katana, Triumph Daytona and have ridden numerous BMWs and my father's V-Strom 1000. There are better machines but None that give me the enjoyment and riding experience that the 1100G gives me. It is a very well balanced simple motorcycle that is a great road bike. Goodluck in your search for your 1100G I have owned mine for over 20 years.

-viperG
                1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

You can't buy advertising like that. I really regret selling my first '81, and also not being able to find it last year. I have a few leads, but as usual most Craigslist sellers (even the ones within driving range) don't answer inquiries. It would also help to sell the '91 ST1100. I'm planning some clutch & brake work on the GS and will need a reliable bike to ride while it is down.

Comment

My 1100G in my sig pic has its original clutch with 78,000 miles on it. Only thing I did was install Barnett clutch springs in 1990 when the bike had only 3000 miles on it. I have relpaced the Stator twice and the Reg/Rec once and the turn signal relay. It has been a cheap bike to own even with the upgrades that I have performed. I ride it hard with frequent trips to redline. When I lived in CA it did many Sundays of canyon scratching and sliding around corners Wes Cooley style. These bikes can be what ever you want them to be; sport toure, tourer, big vintage sport bike.

-viperG
                    1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Interesting and informative thread. I've had the pleasure to have ridden a yr old ST1100 on the autobahn in Germany. I remember really enjoying the smoothness and an electric motor kind of torque curve. But what struck the most was that, in my opinion, the bike lacked what I would call personality. Its the only bike that I've ever felt that way about. I've also had a couple of GS1000's and GS1100's, both shaft and chain. I thoroughly absolutely positively love the 1100G and see my latest one as a keeper. Each time I ride it I'm reminded of just how much I like it. My plans include "updating" the front brakes this Winter and replacing the fork springs with a pr from Progressive.
                      Yeah, get yourself an 1100G and I think you'll agree with my opinion.
                      I also noticed that you didn't keep your Connie for very long. I had a feeling that would happen.
                      Willie
                      PS
                      Great write up there Viper G. As I've PMed you before, I really like your G.
                      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

I think my friend TKent said it best when he opined the best two days of owning a Concours are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

I can't really do a full power comparison between the GS & ST since the GS clutch has started slipping @ higher RPM (it's on the to-do list), but since I changed the carbs on the ST, it really has good get up & go. It just seems huge compared to the GS.

Comment

Working...
                        X