Went down this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went down this morning

Leaving class this morning, make a right onto the two lane access loop to leave the school. Lady makes a left from the other side of the 4-way stop. As i am making the turn she swings wide into the right lane, i tried to stop in time, but as the MSF instructors put it Turning + Stopping = Falling
    I am fine, with the exception of my confidence, and some road rash on my knee. We exchanged info, but she would rather not go through ins.

Damage so far: Headlight bucket cracked, Bezel gouged, Brake lever skidded up ( it left a gouge in the aspahlt) turn signal scraped up, Ign. cover gouged up, and missing "TSCC" plate, and rear pass peg partially broken.

My question for the GSr is: Other than the superficial damage, could anything more serious be wrong with the bike? (Other than the operator)
    If so, is there a way to check? Or am I just bolting on new parts, and calling it good?

I'm sorry to hear you went down. Have you fired up the bike since to listen to it?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Rode it home, seems to run fine other than a slight whirring noise when i apply the front brake, but that could just be me. Was a little shook up on the ride home

Comment

Originally posted by Souske View Post
        Leaving class this morning, make a right onto the two lane access loop to leave the school. Lady makes a left from the other side of the 4-way stop. As i am making the turn she swings wide into the right lane, i tried to stop in time, but as the MSF instructors put it Turning + Stopping = Falling
        I am fine, with the exception of my confidence, and some road rash on my knee. We exchanged info, but she would rather not go through ins.

Damage so far: Headlight bucket cracked, Bezel gouged, Brake lever skidded up ( it left a gouge in the aspahlt) turn signal scraped up, Ign. cover gouged up, and missing "TSCC" plate, and rear pass peg partially broken.

My question for the GSr is: Other than the superficial damage, could anything more serious be wrong with the bike? (Other than the operator)
        If so, is there a way to check? Or am I just bolting on new parts, and calling it good?

Glad to hear you made it out ok

Check:
        your rims and rotors/brakes for any bent parts.
        brake lines for any abrasions
        body paint
        fork/triple T alignment
        rear wheel alignment
        frame cracks or anything bent

Does she seem like she is going to pay for the repairs?
        82 GS1100E
        five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
        Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

How would one check the fork/tripple tree?

Comment

Did it run on it's side at all/long?
            With most of the GSes it probably wouldn't be much of a problem if any at all, but with that particular model, with already known oiling issues (I'm not saying yours did, but it's a known issue with that particular motor) I'd suggest having a look at the cams soon. There may be nothing wrong at all, but it would be piece of mind if it were me.

Comment

Originally posted by Souske View Post
              How would one check the fork/tripple tree?
              I would give them a once over for straightness. Others on here may be able to tell you more.

-Dave
              82 GS1100E
              five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
              Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Good advice TCK,
                I dont believe it ran on its side, By the time i got up and turned around, the bike was off and gas was leaking from the filler neck. Guess i will pull the cam cover later and have a look. Anything in particular i should be looking for?

Comment

Glad you are alright. Roy

Comment

Glad to hear you're OK. Luckily you weren't going straight.
                    She doesn't want to go through her insurance? So how is she going to make it right for you? Sounds like at least a minimal of $500 parts and labor, maybe even alot more. I'd be willing to bet as the bill goes up the less likely she'd be willing to settle outside her insurance company. You could get several written estimates from reputable shops and give her the bill then fix what you want for less.
                    Are you sure nothing hurts? Sometimes the pain for injuries shows up the next day.
                    If she doesn't want to go through her insurance she should be willing to settle quickly I would think.
                    Stay vigilant!
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Don't forget to include any damaged clothing. Or if you had a meticulous helmet that is now scratched. She is lucky you are not putting in a damage to you claim !
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

DON'T DO IT Go thru her insurance ! That is if she has any current insurance. SHe will squawk when she gets the bill and you should get your knee checked !!! Don't give her a chance to screw you.... When they want to pay without the insurance it is a VERY BIG RED FLAG..
                        Tell her you want a check for a $2,000 for damages and injuries
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2011, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                          DON'T DO IT Go thru her insurance ! That is if she has any current insurance. SHe will squawk when she gets the bill and you should get your knee checked !!! Don't give her a chance to screw you.... When they want to pay without the insurance it is a VERY BIG RED FLAG..
                          Tell her you want a check for a $2,000 for damages and injuries
                          Agreed. I would at least have gotten the insurance info on the spot it you didn't already. Were the police called? If not see if California has Texas' version of a Blue Form. In Texas if there is an accident and the police aren't called you can fill out a Blue Form so there is a record of the accident with the state. http://www.txdot.gov/txdoteforms/Get...vletConfig.xml

Comment

She did give me her insurance info, I think she was hoping the damage would be under the cost of her deductible.

I did not actually make contact with her vehicle, but low sided avoiding doing so. Does this mean anything?

My shoulder is sore now, took some Ibuprofin, hopefully Ill feel better tommorow

Comment

I'd still go in for a check up with your Primary Care Doc just to be safe
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X