Thanks to my friends...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to my friends...

Well, sadly the season draws to a close here in the Midwest. The air is quickly chilling, getting wet, and completely unstable as it does in this part of the US around this time. I get a ride here and there, mostly just to work and back as with it only being 10 miles away, even when the temps dip into the low 40s by the time I get off at 2AM, I can endure it. But soon enough the snow will fly and so will the salt and that'll be all she wrote for the 2011 riding season.

On the one hand Im quite sad, as I got pretty cheated this year. It rained sooo much this spring I only put about 2/3 the miles I normally ride each year on. But on the other hand this year was one of the most enjoyable seasons of riding I've ridden in a while.

As most of you know last season Pretty Wife and I had it off early on in the season on the way out to the BC rally, and I spent the rest of the year struggling with myself to get out of my own head. The season, while quite memorable and eventful for good, bad and heartbreakingly tragic reasons, wasn't my favorite. I ended up quite frustrated with myself.

This year I still had some issues at the start, but after re-focusing myself and teaching myself some new "tricks" and by the time we pulled out of BC this year I was feeling back to my old self. As the season wore on I was feeling better and better and finally felt like I progressed in my riding way more than I had in previous seasons. I feel faster, smoother, seeing things better, etc. I also regained the satisfaction of just riding. Ive enjoyed simply taking a ride with pretty wife out in the country as much as riding bleary eyed screaming fast through the twistiest roads I could find.

I also had the wonderful experience of riding quite a bit with my closest riding mates this year. Well, most of em. (miss ya Mikey!!)
    Brown County was fantastic, as was West Virginia. Rob Dale Rose and I found quite possibly the longest twistiest single road I've ever ridden in WV16.
    And it was a great close to a fantastic season with the lot of us making tracks to ride OH555. So far, in my humble opinion, the single most fun road I've ridden to date. Seriously...if you haven't, RIDE IT. You won't be disappointed.

I got to ride with our Aussie friends again, ride with some new friends and swap stories and see new and wonderful sights.
    All in all a season to remember for sure.

So, to all of you, and to my fantastic riding mates: Brett, Jimmy, Rob, Dale, Steve and others, thank you for a great 2011 season, and I look forward to more outstanding rides and experiences with all of you next year.

TCK

That was indeed a good season. Lots learned, lots of fun. I'm very much looking forward to riding with everyone again next season. Great bunch of people.

But it's not over yet, Fearless Leader. The hand guards project is coming along to keep my fingertips warm, and I hope to ride into December this year.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Very well said, Josh.

I didn't ride near as much as last year, for reasons I can't really explain.......but, any day riding is better than one not riding. I've had a difficult time getting motivated this season to do any wrenching either. I have a few minor repair items on both bikes that I could do, but, just don't feel like it. Perhaps because they're minor and I could knock them all out in about a week has me putting them off. I suppose I'll get around to them eventually.

I am NOT looking forward to winter.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Cold weather sucks!!
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Yep. Weekends have been getting spotty here too. Wanted to get out last Sunday but by the time I got out to the garage, wind kicked up and clouds rolled in. Looks to be good this weekend though. Been running StaBil for the last few tanks just in case.
          Don't mind the cold weather but the first salt truck will be the end. Roll Suzi into the basement and call it a season. Can't complain. Did quite a few miles this summer, as I did last summer.
          Then, a few months of staring at it in the basement.
          1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
          2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
          2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            ... So, to all of you, and to my fantastic riding mates: Brett, Jimmy, Rob, Dale, Steve and others, thank you for a great 2011 season, and I look forward to more outstanding rides and experiences with all of you next year.

TCK
            And you, sir, are quite welcome for the few miles we managed to share.

Like some of the others, I had far too few miles this year.
            The Wing only got about 1800 miles' worth of air through its lungs,
            Junior managed about 5200 before he was "retired".

I am in Vermont, without a bike, so my riding season is basically over.

Still looking for "victims" that need some weekend wrenching, though.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I got to ride more than years past just by virtue of being home for a change. I was on the road so much that when I did get home there was no time for bikes.

Comment

Very well said my fairly new friend. This was a good year for me as well, having gotten to ride with some new folks on two outings this year (BC and 555). Both trips were very instrumental in helping me get more intimately familiar with the 1000G...especially 555. Since triple nickle, my confidence level has been...well..on a new level. I've been debating on whether to go ahead and winterize or not. Can't wait too long without riding though. Sure don't want to have to disassemble those carbs again...at least not for a while. I'm thinking about pulling the head and cleaning the tops of the pistons to see if that quiets the ticking, which may be because of pre-ignition. Don't know yet. Anyway, thanks to all those I've ridden with this year as well who helped me reestablish some lost confidence. Looking forward to the next BC.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                  Very well said my fairly new friend. This was a good year for me as well, having gotten to ride with some new folks on two outings this year (BC and 555). Both trips were very instrumental in helping me get more intimately familiar with the 1000G...especially 555. Since triple nickle, my confidence level has been...well..on a new level. I've been debating on whether to go ahead and winterize or not. Can't wait too long without riding though. Sure don't want to have to disassemble those carbs again...at least not for a while. I'm thinking about pulling the head and cleaning the tops of the pistons to see if that quiets the ticking, which may be because of pre-ignition. Don't know yet. Anyway, thanks to all those I've ridden with this year as well who helped me reestablish some lost confidence. Looking forward to the next BC.
                  I had the same experience with my riding at WV two years ago. I got back into town and had to rein myself in.

This time of year, I always have stabilizer in the tank. You never know which ride will be the last of the season, or at least the last for a while.

Cleaning the piston tops did not get rid of the ticking on my 1000. I used the water injection method instead of disassembly. I'm wondering about springs on the advance weights lately.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The arrival of cool weather here has separated the "riders" from the fair Weather riders. 42 Degrees on the way in this morning, I broke out the leather jacket for the first time. Only four of us braved it on two wheels, an old Harley, a newer BMW, My SV 650 and a KAW Versys had the bike parking area all to ourselves. Much warmer weather is predicted for next week so we are no where near the end of riding here yet.
                    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      I had the same experience with my riding at WV two years ago. I got back into town and had to rein myself in.

This time of year, I always have stabilizer in the tank. You never know which ride will be the last of the season, or at least the last for a while.

Cleaning the piston tops did not get rid of the ticking on my 1000. I used the water injection method instead of disassembly. I'm wondering about springs on the advance weights lately.
                      Yeah its crazy coming back from a "one of the guys" rallys...i find i feel like im CRAWLING along at 55mph

You have piqued my interest with these handgrip things...I may want a set. Hope you're prepared for that

Oh, Next year I may be doing some different things...
                      We may step away from the WV Elkins Wing trip in favor of Gettysburg that weekend. Neither Rose nor I have ever been. Theres supposedly some great riding in the area, and lots to see. Dunno if any of you would be interested in going, but welcome if you do...

Comment

TCK, Steve, Dogma, DDaniels, RageZro, and others - I also want to express my thanks to all of you for a great introduction to your area. I had a blast with you out there and hope I can come out to do it again next year at RRR. It was a great feeling to be around other riders who really looked out for each other and had a fun time doing it.

Looking forward to jumping back on mine about Christmas after I buy a new helmet and get everything put back together.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yeah, we all love to ride BUT it is the fellowship and Friendships that keep me coming to the rallies year after year. I was blown away at my first Brown County rally (2007) by all the genuinely Good people I met. All good riders who cared about safety while having fun. That one led to my eventful (Stator failure) participation in the Southern Ohio rally that Fall and the BC, Red River, and West Virginia rallies since. The people I have met through this site both in person and via cyberspace have enriched my life as a rider and as a human. Yes, some of us fight and fued (OT forum mostly) but in the end we are family and I'm glad you folks came into my life.

BTW, the support and prayers I recieved from this group during my Cancer fight almost a year ago meant more to me and Paula than you could ever imagine!
                          Last edited by marvinsc; 10-21-2011, 08:18 PM.
                          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
                          X