The journey of GS550C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The journey of GS550C

Bought this bike in Dec 2010 for USD300 and it was not in running condition with rust everywhere. At first im hesitate to buy this GS because of its condition and $$$ to rebuild/restoration but seems that the GS calling me & saying "Please buy me, the owner neglect me". I ask the previous owner what happen to the bike? he said that he had no time to ride as he was busy with his business and it been 4 years the bike store infront of his house. I called my mechanic to check on the GS and he said it in good working condition (engine) and ask the mechanic to pick up the GS send to his workshop for repair. Sorry, taken picture from my cheap phone. Before i took it from the owner of the GS, he said to me as when the GS fix up he wanted to have a last ride. Seem the owner very hard to let it go... so i said ok...

Many of GS here will say "do it your self to repair the GS, the mechanic will slaughter your $$$". But i have no choice, as i only rent a room.... So i waited for the GS to be repair, you know what.., the mechanic take 1 year to repair the GS... WTF. the GS after repair & restoration.. reborn on Jan 31 2012..

Cost repairing : USD 1200
    The mech rebuild the carb, change tire, body work and just to ensure the GS running in order (as per my request). Still lots of job to be done...
    Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2012, 09:25 PM.

im trying figure it out what model my GS is, from the frame & engine serial number cross referance check its from GS550C 1978 model. But the carb from 1980 model. maybe the previous owner either 3 of them before me modified it or it has been fitted specially for the enforcement agencies in my country.

last month i did another mistake buying dyna s ignition, my GS use kokusan but i buy for nippon (this another stupid mistake i made). Lucky for me, as my mech successfully modified it. Pls dont tell Dynatek....

Now the GS running fine but on & off with performance issues. Engine oil leaks from the left side, so i buy full set of oil seal and installed it with the help of GS search and my mech. But still leak out engine oil... old bike what to expect but manage to minimize the leaks. I bought KNN air filter to replace rusty air filter box.

2 day ago, when i start my GS in the morning to go to work suddenly it back fire... very loud bang. Then i went to my mech and as i arrived at his shop carb #1 over flow badly. My luck day, if not i'll become ghost rider...

With all the knowledge i get from this forum, i manage to remove the carb and check the carb float height. know what, all the float height is at 15mm and some below than that plus with all rust under the float bowl. This carb need to be rebuild but i have no time so i just set the float to standard. The petcock is faulty also as it cannot hold the fuel. My mech do another modification "DOUBLE PETCOCK" this what he called but i called it "PETPETCOCK". It works.., my mech to be honest ~ i hate him but i like him because i do it my self to fix it up with his advise as he busy fixing and servicing harley & virago. But today carb #1 still overflow, i suspect the float needle or floater got problem. When i wanted t pay, he said to me to try it first.

Comment

I just noticed your post and would like to welcome you here. Not to many people from Malaysia visiting here. I am off to work now and will read your thread thoroughly this evening, to see what your up to. Cheers!

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        I just noticed your post and would like to welcome you here. Not to many people from Malaysia visiting here. I am off to work now and will read your thread thoroughly this evening, to see what your up to. Cheers!

cg
        Thanks Charlie G, today before i go to work this morning i inspect my GS & found out carb #1 over flow again. After work will drop by at my mechanic shop to inspect the float & float needle. I will do it by my self but using my mech tool at his workshop... hahaha... The truth is, my mech is a busy men and he has many bike to repair. He's very well known in Penang, his name is Ah Guan. He can do almost everything from small bike to superbike. If his shop dont have spare part he will do his best to use other part by modifying it and make it work. If you go to his shop, dont expect that he will attend your bike immediately, remember about my previous post that my GS back firing and over flow carb #1, i arrived at his shop 3.30pm and job done at 11.30pm !!! 8 hours at his shop just to add up another petcock to make it double petcock or PETPETCOCK but carb dismantling and install it back plus installing the another petcock i do it my self. That why i hate him but i like him...

Just for info on how my mech modified my Dyna S, he only cut the advancer short a little bit as the kokusan advancer shorter than nippon.

Comment

Double petcock or i called it "PETPETCOCK" by my mechanic ~ Ah Guan (but I installed it by my self only his idea and petcock by him)

no more worries, performance wise excellent...

Comment

Welcome! I had a roommate in college at Indiana University was Malaysian. I understand he is a movie star there now, Azmil (can't remember last name, was almost thirty years ago). I also had a couple of Malaysian girlfriends around the same time. terrylee

l

Comment

I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to have two petcocks on your bike.If the first petcock is a factory vacuum operated one and it is bad, it could leak fuel into the carburetors through the vacuum line, even if the fuel is shutoff by the second petcock.

Your engine looks like a 1979 or older 550 because of the kick starter. The 1978 GS 550 came with VM carburetors in the US and yours has CV.The wheels look like 78 model but you fender/mud guards and seat don't look factory. I'm not an expert mind you. I'm just giving you my thoughts.

You have a nice motorcycle and as you know it's best to work on your own, but I understand not having a area to do the work yourself.

If you ask a question in the Carburetor/Fuel area of the forum, someone with greater knowledge than I may have better information.

Nice to talk with someone in Malaysia.

Charlie G
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by hakim5857 View Post
                Double petcock or i called it "PETPETCOCK" by my mechanic ~ Ah Guan (but I installed it by my self only his idea and petcock by him)

no more worries, performance wise excellent...
                I think the pink colored line from the petcock is the vacuum line. I prefer the factory vacuum petcock.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
                  Welcome! I had a roommate in college at Indiana University was Malaysian. I understand he is a movie star there now, Azmil (can't remember last name, was almost thirty years ago). I also had a couple of Malaysian girlfriends around the same time. terrylee

l
                  Cool.., nice to meet you terrylee .

Charlie G ~ yes you're right about the pink colored line, The current petcock on and off leak fuel so i need the vacuum to open up the valve to flow the fuel. We'll see first, even my mech told me to try it first. If the vacuum line leak fuel then i will shut off the vacuum line.

Comment

Originally posted by hakim5857 View Post
                    Cool.., nice to meet you terrylee .

Charlie G ~ yes you're right about the pink colored line, The current petcock on and off leak fuel so i need the vacuum to open up the valve to flow the fuel. We'll see first, even my mech told me to try it first. If the vacuum line leak fuel then i will shut off the vacuum line.

Very good. It sounds like you are well informed.

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Comment

Item that i bought from ebay for my engine rebuild project...

Oil seal from US and full set gasket from Japan plus i buy Viton valve seal.

Dyna S ( i bought wrong one should buy DS3-1 kokusan) from US, K&N air filter SU5500 from US, EBC brake shoe S611 from US, brake pad from Japan but brake pad that i bought 2 sets from UK they send 1 set wrong...
                      Actually its very hard to find part in malaysia, if got also it will be 20% higher.
                      now in my wish list:
                      - Dyna ignition DC1-1 plus plug wires DW200
                      - Carb rebuild kit
                      - Piston ring & piston
                      for piston ring & piston, i need to open up the engine to see whether its still in standard size or not. To summerize everything... $$$$ . Be patient my baby GS, i will make you roar... vvrrrooooommm.....!!!.

Lucky my wife given me green light to do all those thing and she supported me all the work to revive my GS... She said to me " Now you have 4 wifes, ME, your car, my car and your new wife Suzuki GS550, make sure you spent your money ONLY for your wifes" so i said to her... "YES MA'AM"

Comment

On 21/3/03 after work at about 7pm, i went to my mech workshop Ah Guan to check on the over flow issue for carb #1. I opened up the carb & inspect the float needle found out the spring faulty and Ah guan has no sparepart. So i & ah guan modified the carb float to ensure the float can shut the needle. The secondary petcock also faulty, so we change to new one. I spent 7hrs at his workshop from 7pm to 2am and lucky next day is my off day. He also had to fix up aprilla & kawasaki. Every half an hours my wife keep calling me asking where am i until my white shirt pocket dirty. Previous both the petcock i put vacuum but this time put only one vacuum and block the current vacumm which attached to the tank. Start the engine and everything fine, so i go to petrol station to refill petrol full tank.

Know what, within 5km i ride my GS suddenly the engine stop & its 2.30am in the morning...!!! Check & check and try to start still cannot. i said to my GS, "Please dont do this to me, i dont want to leave you at the road side and i want to go home". Out of no where my head pop up about the double vacuum, luckily i didnt throw away the T join. i put back both vacuum into the 2 petcock. Push start button... cannot start, pull the chock.., still cannot start Come on... stop a while cause tired & swearing alot too.., so i sat down to cool me down my heart & mind suddently remember a song from Micheal Buble " I wanna go home" so i sing the song beside of my GS. At the last phrase of the song, i go to my GS & sing out loud...,
                        Let me go home
                        I've had my run
                        Baby, I'm done
                        I gotta go home
                        Let me go home
                        It will all be all right
                        I'll be home tonight
                        I'm coming back home...
                        pust the start button..., suddenly the engine roar... fuuhhh... along the journey home i keep repeating the song until i reach home... . My GS got feeling also huh..,
                        Above all, i need to rebuild the carb plus buy new petcock for the long run.

Comment

Hakim,

Sorry for your bad luck. I hope you got some sleep and the wife wasn't to mad. Does sound like you need some carb and petcock work. Good luck.

cg
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g

Comment

Welcome to the fold hakim, if you pm me with your e mail address I will e mail you instructions with pictures on how to fix your petcoc if it does not have a bad diaphram. Interesting story.
                            V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Welcome, it's amazing to see your ability to overcome obstacles that are thrown at you like a landslide, I wish you all the best, I will monitor your post from now on, Don't take this wrong, but you make me laugh a little, sometimes a lot. I'm not laughing at your setbacks, but you have a humourous way of explaining everything. It's good to see you continue and not give up!! I'm surprised with all the parts you've bought already, one of them wasn't a petcock??

Comment

Working...
                              X