I went down Wednesday night.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ikantbreave View Post
    WOW!!!! And I like to ride a 1/2mile to the gas station sans gear.... NEVER AGAIN!!!
    It's stories like this that reinforce my ATGATT rule. Except that I need to get some actual riding pants.

Other than the pants issue, I won't ride around the block without helmet, gloves, jacket, boots. Even just to test a jet change, I still run upstairs to change from sneakers to boots.

A couple weekends ago, we had a pretty solid heatwave in Chicago. At a stop-light, some squid (sunglasses/shorts/t-shirt) on a Ninja rolled up next to me (helmet/jacket/jeans/boots).

Squid, grinning at me, "Hot enough yet?"

Me, deadpan, "I don't like skin grafts."

Comment

I don't get it. Anyone who's ever worn a mesh riding jacket knows they are much more comfortable than bare skin in the sun.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your accident, hope you heal soon. About the ribs, when I feel at 10 mph, 6 of mine were broken. My damage probably was greater due to being quite a bit older than you, yes that hurt! Hang in there, Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
          It's stories like this that reinforce my ATGATT rule. Except that I need to get some actual riding pants.
          Get those riding pants man. I bought a pair of Bilt textiles with mesh for $90, it's not Dainese or whatever but it will prevent some skin grafts if I ever go down hard. It's cheap insurance that's not worth putting off.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            I don't get it. Anyone who's ever worn a mesh riding jacket knows they are much more comfortable than bare skin in the sun.
            Probably safe to add this to a long list of topics under the category of "Things He Doesn't Know."

Comment

Hi Mr. toejams1,

I am thankful, for your family's sake too, that you are still with us. You show great wisdom in riding with ATGATT. I suppose you'll have to work a little on following mechanical clues.

I hope and pray you heal quickly, recover completely, and that all your material needs are met. Do you have enough insurance and sick/vacation time so that you and your family can get by while you're recuperating? Please let us know. Also, if I have any spare parts in my garage that you could use, you are welcome to them.

A few years ago, after my accident, this community came through for me in a big way. I received a lot of parts, some for only the cost of shipping, some were absolutely free. Mr. Nessism came over to help me straighten part of the frame. Ms. SqDancerLynn came over with her welder. I'm very appreciative of this community. Keep us informed.

All the best to you and yours,

Cliff
              Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                Get those riding pants man. I bought a pair of Bilt textiles with mesh for $90, it's not Dainese or whatever but it will prevent some skin grafts if I ever go down hard. It's cheap insurance that's not worth putting off.
                Ordered some big-boy-riding-pants yesterday.

Comment

So glad you're still with us, toes.

I've also collected my own firsthand evidence on the efficacy of good gear...

You might never figure out what exactly happened, so don't get too caught up in guessing. There are lots of things witnesses will miss.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Any gear is better than none but not all gear is equal. Some materials are better than others, some are better made than others.

Of course there is the "tell me what accident you're going to have & I'll tell you what gear to wear element too".

Friend of mine went down on the freeway recently. Decent gear protected most of him but two dislocated shoulders (torn ligaments/tendons) meant he can't wipe his own butt too well & he was wearing a 3/4 helmet. One side of his face looks like something from a horror movie.. Pretty much the only skin injury he got.

He was very lucky though....

I have been gradually upgrading all my gear to higher specs. The Olympia Cordura stuff / Rev-it is about the lowest grade gear I have now. All the generic Polyester & Nylon gear is gone/going.

Rest up & get better soon. Glad you're basically ok.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Anything other than a full-face helmet and you may as well be wearing a salad bowl.
                      I learned when the face shield blew off on a 3/4 helmet on impact when I was 15 or 16 Y.O. and saved my money for a full-face helmet.
                      Nothing but full-face after that get off!

Eric

Comment

First, I'm very glad that you're relatively unscathed. It would be nice if your family doesn't freak out seven ways, too.

Please try to recover your motorcycle, and study it to try to figure out what happened. We can all learn something from your painful and expensive experience.

And start planning for a replacement GS!
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

cracked cheek bone sounds painful. sorry to here that bro.

Comment

I'd guess the engine locked up...spun a main bearing or threw a connecting rod. The crankshaft stopped spinning suddenly. The rear wheel stoped turning when the chain stopped. The bike must have taken a tumble. The bike's ruined. I'm glad you're relatively ok. It's a scary story. It's a good thing you were wearing a full face helmet and not some silly open faced lid like so many other riders wear. In Maine, there's no helmet law and I've seen hundreds of riders with no helmet at all. I hate to imagine what a face would look like after a crash like yours with no helmet. Get well and be safe.

Comment

That noise you heard which sounded like an exhaust leak was probably a rod knocking.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                                Great to hear you survived relatively intact.
                                "dressin' for the slide" paid off.
                                Did they save you some wings?
                                Probably hard to chew them with a broken cheekbone.

Easier than chewing while dead though.

Congrats on the use of ATTGAT.
                                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                                X