I hate helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate helmets

Back in 1981, when I was in my 20's and stationed at Ft. Bragg NC, I routinely rode my GS1000 to Myrtle Beach SC for weekend getaways.

I dont know about today, but in those days North Carolina had a helmet law, and South Carolina did not. Since I had grown up in a state without helmet laws I always detested the fact that we were "required" to wear a helmet.

After enjoying a weekend of riding around the beach community without a helmet, I headed back to the base. This time I decided to take a back road route instead of taking the highway. In addition to being able to enjoy the backroads, I assumed I could get away with not wearing a helmet through the back roads of North Carolina.

To my surprise, on the backroads when I entered North Carolina, there was a small sign indicating that helmets were required. I smuggly kept riding and thinking to myself how cool it was that I probably wouldnt see a cop, and if I did, I would just tell him I did not see a sign and did not know I was in North Carolina yet.

At that moment, BAM! I was shaken to my core when a hawk, I beleive a sparrow hawk, swooped in front of me and colllided squarely with my rearview mirror. Because of sheer luck I did not wreck, but my heart was beating so fast I did stop to regain my composure.

As I rode away with my helmet on, I did have a lot of time on the ride back to imagine what that bird would have felt like plasterd to my face. I live in Texas now, and frankly dont wear a helmet around town. If I am ever killed because of not wearing a helmet, it isnt because I wasnt warned.

gs1000 in 1984.jpg
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

I hear ya. I never wore one if I didn't have to.
    My thinking changed because of a couple of reasons. One being my wife's uncle just died when he struck a deer and ground his face off. They un-plugged him after 13 hours.
    And now that I got a family to support I need to think of them.

Comment

I don't understand the point of your post.

You realize that they can be a lifesaver but you still don't want to wear one. Odd attitude, its like you want to have an accident.

Keep on riding lidless and you just might but I hope for your family's sake that you don't. I have a wonderful life long friend (45+ years) right now lying in an intensive care ward in a semi vegitative state from a bleed in the brain. Admittedly not an m/c injury, but the effect on the family and we his friends is devastating. A wonderful husband, father, friend and mentor taken from us and maybe not to ever return.

Please rethink your stand on this.

spyug.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
        Back in 1981, when I was in my 20's and stationed at Ft. Bragg NC, I routinely rode my GS1000 to Myrtle Beach SC for weekend getaways.
        In 83-84 I was at Cherry Pt MCAS. Me and friend, who had a blue 83 1100E, would ride to Fayetteville for concerts. Always wore helmets.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I understood that my rebellious position doesnt make any intellectual or even emotional sense, especially in the context of the story. In this section it asked for GS stories, and I had one that could be helpful, at least in the sense of "dont do what I do".

True and good advise on all counts. Still a little rebel in me (defintion of rebel = stupid sometimes)

I havent got the new basketcase GS going and only ride a little street and trail bike to the store and back and around town with 30 mph roads.

When I get the GS fixed up and going, I may have to re-think my long held rebellion against helmets.
          Last edited by Gregory; 10-21-2012, 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

I've always wondered about the those guys that ride around without helmets but have them strapped to their bikes.
            Fact of the matter is, I don't think I could ride as long or as fast without a helmet, they keep the bugs off your face (and june bugs hurt), along with rocks semi's throw up, rain and sand. Now, if I'm gonna slow poke around the subdivision at 15-20mph, well OK I guess.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Before I went into the NAVY in January of '83, I hated wearing helmets! I was even involved in a couple accidents, one of them even totaled the bike after broadsiding a car, no helmet! I walked away with a scratch and a sprained wrist and still refused to wear a helmet!
              Then a friend of mine bought a motorcycle and was new to them to boot. She refused to wear a helmet, I told her she needed to wear one but she argued saying that I was a hypocrite telling her to wear one when I refused to wear one myself, she was right! The deal was made that we would both wear a helmet. Two weeks later, she rear-ended a car at a pretty good clip and ended up in the hospital with multiple broken bones and a totally destroyed helmet, the doctor said the only reason she was alive to talk about it was because she wore a helmet. Not long after that, I went into the NAVY, the NAVY requires the wearing of all the gear in order to ride on base now, pretty much thirty years later, I wear my helmet almost all the time. Once in a blue moon I'll take the bike around the block without a helmet if I have been working on it and am just checking it out. For the most part, I feel naked without a helmet now. That deal I made thirty years ago saved her life and made me realize how fragile life is and how important a piece of fiberglass can be to my survival!
              http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/imag...TXUTWAWIsm.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Not much point in wearing one if there's nothing to protect inside.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  I've always wondered about the those guys that ride around without helmets but have them strapped to their bikes.
                  Fact of the matter is, I don't think I could ride as long or as fast without a helmet, they keep the bugs off your face (and june bugs hurt), along with rocks semi's throw up, rain and sand. Now, if I'm gonna slow poke around the subdivision at 15-20mph, well OK I guess.
                  Agree with all you have said here and in addition I enjoy wearing a helmet for the relief I get from wind noise/fatigue. I dont know if its just me, but I get pain deep inside my ears from riding in chilly/cold conditions and the helmet saves me from that along with terrible ringing that I get from wind noise. My ears ring for hours after a half hour ride or longer with no lid(full face). Even when I thought I was a bad azz cruzer on my Shadow I would use ear plugs under my .5mm thick bandana helmet
                  I feel good for graduating to being safety minded. I like my helmet now.

Comment

I would not know what it is like to ride without a helmet. And I have been riding for over 4 decades. Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      I would not know what it is like to ride without a helmet. And I have been riding for over 4 decades. Nuff said.
                      I had a great joke going in my head something about how "you've been riding since before Koolaid was invented....but it did not quite pan out.
                      Wikipeia-
                      History

The building in Hastings, Nebraska, where Kool-Aid was invented

Kool-Aid was invented by Edwin Perkins in Hastings, Nebraska. All of his experiments took place in his mother's kitchen.[1] Its predecessor was a liquid concentrate called Fruit Smack. To reduce shipping costs, in 1927, Perkins discovered a way to remove the liquid from Fruit Smack, leaving only a powder. This powder was named Kool-Aid. Perkins moved his production to Chicago in 1931 and Kool-Aid was sold to General Foods in 1953.[2] Hastings still celebrates a yearly summer festival called Kool-Aid Days on the second weekend in August, in honor of their city's claim to fame. Kool-Aid is known as Nebraska's official soft drink.[3][4]

I do find my myself liking the term Fruit Smack....lol
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2012, 07:14 PM.

Comment

What very few years I didn't wear a helmet I now have a nice scar on my forehead from a June bug at 70mph and damaged tear ducts around my eyes. Besides from the wind/sun burn and fatigue....well I always wear a helmet now though it was my choice. I spent alot of time with ABATE chapters around the nation fighting the mandatory helmet laws the Feds were blackmailing the states to pass in order to receive their hiway funds. So it is your choice, weight the pros and cons. I did, I wear.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

left is helmet at home

Comment

When i was young handsome and vain, I often rode without a helmet so everyone could see my gorgeous hair flowing in the wind. Now I'd wear a helmet even if it wasn't required so no one could see what an ugly old man was riding that cool bike. Still vanity I guess. Oh. I also smacked a truck once so hard I blacked out. The paramedic told me I'd have been a vegetable if I wasn't wearing my helmet that day.

Comment

I grew up racing MX and hit my head on the ground many many times before i got on the street. The longest I rode without a helmet can be counted in feet, felt completely naked.

I came of a road race bike on the track and slid a good 300 feet across a curb and into the grass all on my back, the helmet was worn down to the inner padding but did its job.

My buds all have Harleys and wear the half brain bucket that I think is a poor excuse for a real helmet!
                              Before one ride with them in the summer I had taken a hockey puck off my jaw and was pretty bruised up, they were all commenting that I should wear a full helmet on the ice LOL!! (I wear a shield but the puck came underneath)

Comment

Working...
                              X