Joshua Tree Natioinal Park from Scottsdale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joshua Tree Natioinal Park from Scottsdale

Spent the last three days airing out the "G" on a trip to JTNP, San Diego and back along the old Hwy 80. It was the first trip with a set of Nelson-Rigg 850 bags on the bike. They are huge by the way and too much bag for the trip. You could easily pack enough gear for three weeks on the road and mount camping gear on the top. The trusty G ran flawlessly, easily cruising 75-85 on the slab, at that speed the mileage suffers with those big bags attached. Only averaged around 39-40 mpg. Love taking that bike on trips like that, I am always surprised by how many people comment and admire a classic like the G.

Enjoy

Entering the park....

Great camping spots throughout the park, several nestled between the rocks.

Gotta remember moderation is the key..

Ocean Beach Pier..

About a 40 mile stretch of the old hwy 80 through Jacumba, CA

Need to make a note to self, Never go near a large city on the eve of a holiday like Thanksgiving, Hwy 74, 371, 79 through Palm Desert, Warner Springs and Ramona on my way into San Diego was for the most part a PIA Wednesday afternoon, it's all good though, great scenery and was traveling slow enough to see it .

Originally posted by bbjumper View Post

Wife asks if onions came with liver?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

There's alot of beauty down there. Thanks for pixs. Glad you had a good, safe trip.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Wife asks if onions came with liver?
        Good fried liver always comes with onions...

Comment

I've been that way many years ago. Those bags are big. I would think half that size would be fine. What do you think of the construction? I've been thinking of getting a smaller set from that maker. Nice pictures.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Looks fun. I rode out that last January. It was a blast, and mostly empty. That whole area is nice. Do the 1100G airbox tail and side covers go right on the 1000G? Is that an 1100G with a 1000G tank?

How did you go from Scottsdale?
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Charlie,

I have the same bags, and the way I camp wouldn't dream of carrying anything smaller. Of course, I'd have a climbing rope, gear, and shoes packed in there, too!

Is that a picture of Jumbo Rocks in the first shot? Years ago I met a Vietnam Vet who was essentially living there, dodging the Park Rangers. Actually, I think they probably just left him alone as he wasn't a danger to anybody. These days they are very strict on the 14-day camping limit, which puts a bit of sour note on the JTNP experience, as it is an internationally renowned winter climbing destination.

We were down through JT last year at Christmas...I think my 4th (?) trip, but my first time through the southern part of the park. If I was to go back with a motorcycle, I'd want a capable dual-sport for forays into the washes. There's not a lot of (legal) off-road riding available in the park, but plenty of dirt/gravel roads leading you away from people.
              Last edited by BigD_83; 11-25-2012, 07:39 PM.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                I've been that way many years ago. Those bags are big. I would think half that size would be fine. What do you think of the construction? I've been thinking of getting a smaller set from that maker. Nice pictures.

cg
                Construction is top notch throughout, I have a Corbin tank bag that I use almost every time I ride and it is made out of much lighter material with lighter stitching. It really hasn't stood the test of time either. looks the Riggs's bags will last a long time. Nelson-Rigg has a reputation of taking care of there costumers which is the reason I chose them. And yes smaller would be better for anything up to a week or so. And if you have the space you'll figure out how to fill it with more stuff to drag along with ya.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                  Looks fun. I rode out that last January. It was a blast, and mostly empty. That whole area is nice. Do the 1100G airbox tail and side covers go right on the 1000G? Is that an 1100G with a 1000G tank?

How did you go from Scottsdale?
                  It's actually an 82 850, I bought it wrecked, a front ender that got the bars, headlight, gauge cluster, both side cases and the tank plus a few other parts. The tank is off a 81 850, the rest of the parts are correct for the year and model. I have been looking for a 82 tank but haven't found one yet. I have superbike bars with shorter cables and brake lines, new Progressive fork springs. the seating position with the windshield and the way it handles make long days in the saddle no problem. Fun ride for sure....

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                    Chralie,

I have the same bags, and the way I camp wouldn't dream of carrying anything smaller. Of course, I'd have a climbing rope, gear, and shoes packed in there, too!

Is that a picture of Jumbo Rocks in the first shot? Years ago I met a Vietnam Vet who was essentially living there, dodging the Park Rangers. Actually, I think they probably just left him alone as he wasn't a danger to anybody. These days they are very strict on the 14-day camping limit, which puts a bit of sour note on the JTNP experience, as it is an internationally renowned winter climbing destination.

We were down through JT last year at Christmas...I think my 4th (?) trip, but my first time through the southern part of the park. If I was to go back with a motorcycle, I'd want a capable dual-sport for forays into the washes. There's not a lot of (legal) off-road riding available in the park, but plenty of dirt/gravel roads leading you away from people.
                    Nice to hear on the bags, I originally got them for longer rides wich they will be perfect for. All I need to do is throw my tent, bag, mattress, camp chair on there and I'm set. I couldn't do an overnight this trip but planning on going back out with a riding buddy MiloBramble mid December with enough groceries for a good dinner a bottle of Jack and a cigar.

Jumbo Rocks it is I think, there was a Dad and several boys around the 10 year range getting their first rock climbing experience. Fun to watch. And yes I agree, I was thinkin maybe a DR650 would be perfect back there. Nothing technical but a good bit of gravel roads waitin for ya.

On the trip out I went through Wickenberg and Parker really a worthwhile route, not much traffic and I really enjoy the desert. Plenty in the park to keep you busy for a full day.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Bookmon View Post
                      There's alot of beauty down there. Thanks for pixs. Glad you had a good, safe trip.
                      I had flow over that area hundreds of times and always looked down thinking it would be interesting to explore some time. I really like the wide open of the desert..

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X