First 'long' ride, lessons learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First 'long' ride, lessons learned

Took my first ride on the GS550es this last month. Took a little time off from everything having to do with the motorcycle afterward, getting ready to go back at the repairs/maintenance.

While some of you may know (and some not) that I purchased the 83 gs for $50 (with title) I didn't really announce on here that it was more or less running. Made the decision to try a ride on it, took it out on a 50 mile loop including highway miles, and the thing operated admirably well. Geared up a bit further with insulation (being an Idaho 'winter') and prepared for the first 'long' ride of my life.

Having no idea what repairs I was going to have to do on the road, I tossed in my set of wrenches, and some screwdrivers. Did a final tweak of the gas mixture before leaving, and headed out into the great unknown.

Being the stubborn SOB that I am, I decided to go out to work at a friend's house in Colorado. Those experienced with riding probably see where this is going.

Not only was this my first 'long' ride, but my first winter ride, night ride, ride with wind/ice/rain, ride with a backpack, and ride on this bike.

My prior longest ride was about 150 miles, on a fairly quiet little two-cycle bike from the early 80s. This one was on a 550... and an education.

Got started late after the thing didn't quite have a mixture I was happy with going out of the parking lot, so enriched it just slightly, and headed out. Went along I-84 to Tremonton, missed my fuel stop, and stopped at the next available point. I discovered, by this point, a disconcerting tendency for the throttle hand to start getting a bit numb in the index finger, thumb, and middle finger. First rest stop, I managed to almost tip the bike over on myself getting off of it.

No matter, I continued along the ride up the Devil's Slide canyon, eying the clouds above with trepidation. Had a feeling I was heading into inclement weather, but the best laid plans....

Halfway up Devil's canyon, the rain cut loose, and I was blinded enough I could only go about 55, even knowing the road. Stopped in Evanston, got a cup of hot coffee, and examined my gear, fueled up, and headed back out. FInally got out of the rain about 50 miles later, but by then, the old leather jacket wasn't quite cutting the chill, even with the multiple layers of insulation under it.

Finally had to pull off at the next rest stop, and hour further, and warmed up for three hours, it having gotten dark in the interim.

Had recognized by this point the signs of hypothermia, the pack was holding the leather on the back close enough to the skin it was rapidly conducting heat away through the ventilation built into the pack to prevent sweat buildup.

The rest of the ride from Fort Bridger to Colorado was starts and stops, warming up about every 50 miles or so. The thinsulate gloves weren't holding thier own until they dried out, but at that point my body temp had dropped enough on the first one I didn't want to take any chances.

Came in to my stop at 4am. Seemed like an endless nightmare.

A week later, I decided to go back. Had, by this time, purchased a better motorcycle jacket with CE armor, a better helmet (I didn't mention that the visor decided to let go on my cheap one) and a better pair of gloves.

Got out before first light, at about the same time I came in the previous trip. I'd adjusted the valves, checked the fuel level, oil, etc. Ran it back to Laramie, adjusting the new gear now and again, to prevent chafing. At Laramie, I hit a sign labeled 'Light trailer traffic prohibited, 50+ mph gusts.

Knowing there were no accessible routes otherwise (routes to the north were unreliable/closed due to slick conditions/closed for the season) i gritted my teeth and rode. I think it burned more rear tire in the miles between Laramie and Wamsutter than the entire rest of the trip, with it slipping sideways now and then.

Winds finally died down to 30mph gusts, and then it was smooth riding until Evanston, where it started getting dark... The bike was running beautifully, and the canyon run was uneventful, smooth, and quiet. When I was heading down the canyon, a train to the north was lighting up the entire canyon with its headlights, an oddly beautiful sight.

Turning on the 550 was a breeze compared to the other bikes... the bike started getting better and better, and by the time I hit tremonton, I was having to check the speedometer repeatedly to keep it below 80, as it had a tendency to creep upward unnoticed toward 90.

Came back in through the Eden exit at around midnight, and had some genius from the bar crowds decide to follow me to tell me my backpack was too heavy to ride the bike. I think I noticed how heavy it was after 650 miles or so....

Parked, trudged it up the stairs, dropped it off, weighed it the next morning at 77 lbs or thereabouts. Military rucksack, modular sleep system good to 40 below, and the various tools, clothing, etc that were 'might needs'. The full frame helped a lot with it, and it was actually far better to ride with strapped down tight.

Bike's done darn well... going to do a compression test on it later this week, and possibly hone/rering it. Noticed some signs of some blowby at the beginning of the trip, will see if it cleared up.

Need to pick up some different luggage for the bike, though. I admit I was a tad sore when I got home.

All in all, it was an educational trip. I think the bike's capable of a lot more than I gave it credit for, and my confidence in my riding has improved a bit. Looking at a much lighter toolkit, and other gear for any further rides. Keeping the new jacket, helmet, gloves, and the leggings.

The bike's getting repainted at this point... neglected since 97 with a rattlecan job on the fairings, it's the least I can do.

So far, the total outlay into the bike is a new air filter, tank cleaning, new front fork seals, oil filter, oil change, a can of berryman's dip, chain lube, fork oil, and a new voltage regulator to preempt the stator failing, and o rings set.

This forum has been a great help in getting it up and running. Hoping for many more, less adventurous miles.

TL;DR version? Ice is no fun. Crosswinds not much fun. Heavy pack, not much fun. Getting out and moving and seeing the countryside on a bike I fixed myself? Priceless.

Firsts on this ride: First ride at night, first ride 150+ miles, first solo drive over 600 miles, first time riding on slick roads, first time riding in crosswinds, cold, and rain.

I'll look back on it fondly as a 'character building learning experience'... as my father would say.

-- Old Wolf

Sounds like a good trip. How did your bike do on fuel over the trip? Any other recommendations for the ride on that size?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

an "endless nightmare" that you will "look back on fondly"....you're one of us now and will never be the same.
      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
      82 gs1100L probably the next project
      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Great story. Nice imagery of following the trains lights. Nothing like bad weather and a long trip to build those skills!

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Sometimes there is only one way to know what you and your bike are capable of, and that's to point it and just go. I did the same thing on my slightly leaking GS850 this summer and spent 3 weeks traveling from coast to coast to coast. We made it through, a little battered perhaps but damn if I didn't want to keep on riding when I got home. Good on you for going for it.

Life on a motorcycle trip is the best kind.

Seems like you learned a lot of valuable lessons. Get some luggage, you want your bike to be carrying your stuff, not you. Saves your body from being too beat up.

Also get some rain gear and keep in in the saddlebag. Much better to have it and not need it, than vice versa.

Funny thing about these GS's is they like to be ridden. I swear my bike was better at the end of the trip then the beginning. Or maybe after countless hours in the saddle I was so connected to the machine we acted as one. Not sure why but the best thing you can do for your GS is the ride the snot out of it!

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Comment

You lived through it, which is most important. Paying attention to signs of hypothermia may have saved your life.

You won't always be as young as you are now, or as lucky as you were on the trip. List everything that was a problem, then everything that was a potential problem, followed by everything that made you even a bit uncomfortable. Fix them all, going from the top of the list to the bottom. You enjoy motorcycling more that way, and live a lot longer.
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Oddly enough, my first long ride was in Colo as well. Alamosa to Evergreen just outside of Denver and back. Went to the annual Two Wheelers barbeque. Rained all day and about half the way back during the nite ride back. Tis was fun. brrrr
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

It looks like you picked up a lot of "learning" from this trip!

Excellent efforts for a first long ride. glad to see you planned it fairly well.

Mine was not as eventful, but I sure did learn about cold. It was about 60F when I left in the morning on a 300 mile round trip but it was close to freezing when I returned at night, and, unlike you, I had not planned for it at all.

I was wearing a leather jacket and flannel shirt and had not thought about the jacket being closed with snap fasteners.....until I encountered the cold wind that blew through it on the way home.

Padding the inside with newspapers from a truck stop got me home, after I had shivered there for half an hour before deciding I had to brace myself and carry on.

I remember that trip very well.

The jacket stayed with me in riding for many years....after being slightly modified to include a zipper
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Great thread, I remember my first long ride on my new then FJ1100. Had to ride the last 150 miles through heavy rain late one night west of Amarillo. Followed a semi, close, most of the way, just like you, got there cold, wet and tired.

Great memories, I always look forward to the long road, even at night..

Comment

Worst part of the trip was coming out of Evanston as the sun was going down in wet gear. The bone-deep cold didn't leave for two days. Temp dropped below 30 degrees F, coming through the Fort Bridger area.
                    Best part of the trip was when the wind died coming back. Seeing the stars overhead as I started, the sun rising, and just... being there.

I remember most distinctly though the train in that canyon.

It's an amazing feeling when the weather is good, and everything is just running.

The 'endless nightmare' was a below-freezing trip in 30mph crosswinds at night, part of the trip on ice. Every time I closed my eyes for the next few hours after I stopped, I'd be back there, correcting the bike's course in the narrow track that the semis had blasted through the glare ice.

The rest of the trip in comparison was paradise, even the high winds coming back weren't bad with the higher temps and better gear.

Looking at getting a cruiser for the longer trips... sports bike is beautiful for what it's made for, but really isn't made for long trips.

's funny how some machines just 'fit' right off though. Good experience, all in all.

Now on to planning the next one, preferably remembering to bring the camera this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Wolf View Post
                      ....The 'endless nightmare' was a below-freezing trip in 30mph crosswinds at night, part of the trip on ice. Every time I closed my eyes for the next few hours after I stopped, I'd be back there, correcting the bike's course in the narrow track that the semis had blasted through the glare ice....
                      Do you realize that you needlessly risked your life by riding in those conditions?
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Welcome, sounds like some of the rides I use to take when a lot younger. We gonna see ya at the 4th. PNW ralley next year?
                        V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                          Do you realize that you needlessly risked your life by riding in those conditions?
                          Realized it, and still do. Doesn't change the necessity for the trip, nor does it change that many would argue we needlessly risk our life every time we ride one of these bikes. Made the choice to continue because by that time there was nowhere to turn off that was safe. By the time I got somewhere to turn off, it was no longer icy on the roads. My biggest concern at that point was not my own safety, but making sure i wasn't a road hazard for others. Worked this time, can't say it would in identical conditions with identical gear. Can say my rides are confined to late spring/summer/early fall at this latitude, from now on.

Comment

Realized it, and still do. Doesn't change the necessity for the trip, nor does it change that many would argue we needlessly risk our life every time we ride one of these bikes. Made the choice to continue because by that time there was nowhere to turn off that was safe. By the time I got somewhere to turn off, it was no longer icy on the roads. My biggest concern at that point was not my own safety, but making sure i wasn't a road hazard for others. Worked this time, can't say it would in identical conditions with identical gear. Can say my rides are confined to late spring/summer/early fall at this latitude, from now on.
                            Hey, sometimes life is just the adventure you weren't looking for, thankfully.

Comment

Just Do it...

There are always naysayers who will second guess the things we do. I agree that some would argue that even riding a motorcycle is an incredibly dangerous thing to do...in fact it is...but that doesn't stop us from doing it...

Hindsight will help you gain wisdom should you be fortunate enough to live long enough...

Read my blog story for such an example --> http://neverlost-justexploring.blogs...ride-2008.html
                              Currently in the Stable :
                              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
                              X