Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip to Windy Harbour

G'day all,

The account of our recent motorcycle trip to Windy Harbour, Western Australia is here for your perusal: http://www.theflyingbanana.com/biketrip11.htm

Cheers,
    Mike.

The Flying Bannanna ....
    I will have to take a look, just to see your story ... and to see if it is you or if it is your bike that is the bannanna that is flying.
    har har har

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Interesting story of riding, and camping and comradiery (if insults and acusations are comradiery, har har har), and intersting photos of the group and the scenery and the bikes.

I conclude that the "bannana" reference is relative to "a certain yellow Kat" that scared away the "buzzards".

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

G'day Redman,

Something that at least some Americans find puzzling about Australians is how camaraderie between men is usually expressed in ribald insults and relentless ribbing. I remember one time how I greeted a mate at breakfast with a rather off-hand "Good morning ugly!", only to have an American friend who had heard this come up to me later and ask, "Are you guys OK?!" My mate and I thought that was most amusing!

It's strange but true: unless my mates give me some crackingly good insults, I just don't feel loved. A polite greeting would make me suspicious that our friendship was suffering in some way.

Cheers,
        Mike.

Comment

Mike,

Many Americans live by the friendly insult, it's them urbanites that don't get it!

Nice trip there, loved the pics

I know what you mean about the ocean. I sometimes sit out at the edge of the Pacific thinking "Japan is just 6,000 miles that way". It's a far horizon
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
            how camaraderie between men is usually expressed in ribald insults ............

Mike, Yep, am familiar with that type of comaradderie.

Thanks again for posting the story with the great pictures.
            For those of us not familiar with your area; what distance is it between Perth and western coast?

Somthing of an annaul trip, eh.

Last edited by Redman; 12-30-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the photos of your trip this year. Always enjoy your pictures.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Perth is on the West coast. A typical weekender riding down south where they went is usually between 800-1000 kms 500-600miles
                I know because i was one of the Buzzard riders who couldnt make it

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
                  G'day Redman,

Something that at least some Americans find puzzling about Australians is how camaraderie between men is usually expressed in ribald insults and relentless ribbing. I remember one time how I greeted a mate at breakfast with a rather off-hand "Good morning ugly!", only to have an American friend who had heard this come up to me later and ask, "Are you guys OK?!" My mate and I thought that was most amusing!

It's strange but true: unless my mates give me some crackingly good insults, I just don't feel loved. A polite greeting would make me suspicious that our friendship was suffering in some way.

Cheers,
                  Mike.
                  This is very good information to know...about the insults/ribbing that is.

I haven't had a chance to read the narrative but I'm going to now.

Just had some exchanges with someone from your neck of the woods so I'm a little more understanding of this practice. (Even though the person I went back and forth with isn't a friend, I get it)

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

OK, just finished reading about this trip. Thoroughly enjoyed skimming through and identifying key words...my wife is British so I've heard some slang words before but nothing like this.

The uncooked sausage and the way you described your mates about feeling sorry for you...that was funny.

The wisecracks about the FZR1000 and how its lack of maintenance results in a slow ride...funny!

The use of the word "hypocrisy" caught my attention too.

You guys are alright...wouldn't think otherwise. Thanks for sharing the link.

Ed
                    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 01-03-2013, 09:05 AM.
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments/ feedback there guys... I would have replied sooner but have been bogged-down at this end changing internet providers, etc. What a chore.

Anyhow, good to see that Shedman has surfaced and put you all in the loop as to where Perth is, etc. When folks travel to Australia they usually give Perth and the South West a miss (Perth is most isolated city in the world... just look at it on Google Earth and you'll see what I mean). Yes it is a bit 'out of the way' but there's nothing like the south coast of WA, sheer beauty and a very unspoiled part of the world.

Cheers,
                      Mike.

Comment

Well, you just destroyed my plan to get up early and do some prep for work this a.m. Started reading the info about your bikes and couldn't stop.

Worth it.

Comment

Working...
                        X