It runs in the family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It runs in the family

I always wondered how I got hooked on motorcycling at such an ealy age, and how my love of wrenching, tinkering, and riding has developed over the years.

My father had a couple bikes as I was growing up, but never really got into the motorcycle lifestlye as much as I did.

A few weeks ago, I attended a family reunion of my mother's side of the family. As oft happens no mater what setting it is, riding and wrenching became a subject of discussion.

I was happily supprised when a picture of my grandfather started to be passed around.

I am told it was one of many bikes he had throughout his lifetime. My uncle says it is an Indian (if anyone has any insight as to the model/year that would be great!) that he had in his early 20s. He was a self taught wrench that owned numerous bikes and built a couple as well.

After talking to other uncles and cousins at least 85% of them own or have owned at least one bike.

Just something I thought I'd share. Fun to find out this type of information about your relatives.

Nic
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

That is so cool and a great family treasure. Keep it safe.

Thanks for sharing with us.
    Spyug

Comment

As spyug typed, Thanks for sharing!

Comment

My father was the one who gave me that famous line: "as long as you live under my roof ... there will be no motorcycles."

It was his brother that had the bikes and all the mechanical ability, not sure how it found its way over to me.

In fact, I have no idea how it got to all my siblings, too.
        Click on the link in my sig, you can see that all of us ride.
        Not sure that my sisters were riding before Dad died, I'm sure he would not have approved.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My father was the one who gave me that famous line: "as long as you live under my roof ... there will be no motorcycles."
          I had to laugh at that as it was the same in my teenage years, only it was mum saying it. My dad had been a flat track racer, engine builder and racing mechanic in Britain in the 40's and 50's and while he would have been ok with it, the boss was not. As a consequence I didn't get my first bike until they were long gone and I turned 50. My midlife crisis

cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

Fambly

My mom was totally opposed to bikes since my dad crashed his Harley and lost a leg. She blamed the bike, I blamed the fact that he was drunk at the time. Later we found some old home movies of my dad and uncle racing their Harleys and Triumphs on dirt tracks and TT courses, before motocross existed. I didn't get my first bike until I moved out at 20. Now my mom is cool with it and she even buys my copy of Motorcourse every year for my birthday.

Comment

My mom paid for half of my first bike.
              Always had bikes and snowmobiles when I lived in places where riding one was possible.
              My dad rides, as do a few uncles.
              My daughter goes four wheeling on her own quad, snowmobiling on mine and isn't bike shy at all.
              That study someone posted earlier said the thrill seeker gene or danger gene is often hereditary seems to be somewhat true.

Comment

Shockingly....

Originally posted by Steve View Post

It was his brother that had the bikes and all the mechanical ability, not sure how it found its way over to me.
                OMG - We had the same father -

And his brother too...
                My Uncle had a Harley in the mid 60's and would take us kids for a ride when we visited him. I can still remember my first ride at about 6 years old as we leaned over and I was looking at the ground below me...

My Father said I was crazy...but I had a bike anyway once I turned 19 years old and was legal age to disobey...

He had an affinity for boats - he had a few over the years and he never lived on a lake until all us kids had moved out..probably couldn't afford it with us around... But I liked his HUGE pontoon (party barge) the most...

Comment

My father actually helped me to get my first dirt bike. After a summer of cutting yards, he matched the money I saved to get a little honda.

He still helps me with my passion. If a project or bike catches my eye, he'll help with cost as much as possible. Heck he lets me tear down bikes in his garage (since mine is already full)

Great father and man. I realize often that I don't let him know just how much he matters enough of the time.

Nic
                  83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I grew up in a motorcycling oriented family My grand father was a board track racer in the 30's riding a Indian, my dad has always had motorcycles since I was a kid, earliest that I remember was a new 66 250cc Ducati he had then a 68 BSA Goldstar. As time went on in 74 he started Classic cycle works in Gibsonton Fla. He worked also for the city of Tampa as there head motorcycle mechanic. They sent him to Milwaukee, to the Harley factory training school. So in my teen years I grew up around Harley's and British bikes . I rode some Motocross threw the mid 70's riding a 76 Husquavarna CR250 . Then my first road bike was a 74 RD400, then a 79 Harley Sportster, what a POS that was. The RD would smoke that bike in more ways then 1. Then in 83 I bought my 83 750E and have never looked back. I will admit I have had a few Kawasaki's, but my favorites are the GS series bikes. Plus all my siblings are into riding and have a similar story So yes it gets in the blood I believe.
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                      I had to laugh at that as it was the same in my teenage years, only it was mum saying it. My dad had been a flat track racer, engine builder and racing mechanic in Britain in the 40's and 50's and while he would have been ok with it, the boss was not. As a consequence I didn't get my first bike until they were long gone and I turned 50. My midlife crisis

cheers,
                      Spyug
                      Ii never had that problem, but at 21 I acquired girlfriend and for several years she made it very clear that she did NOT want me to ride motorcycles.

I suspect it was because she was with me more than once when we pulled off some impossible manoeuvre with the car, and she just could not countenance my doing anything like those things on a bike.

She was also the funniest person I ever saw behind the wheel. On her first attempt at a go-cart track her car was hit and it spun out. She was stopped only momentarily, and then she just adjusted her helmet and drove on.....completely oblivious to the fact that she was going in the wrong direction.

Today, my daughter rides, but sons do not. One of them tried dirt and got hurt to the point that it scared him. He may yet try again. Another son thinks about it and may take my CM450 at some time,. We'll see. .
                      Last edited by argonsagas; 02-27-2013, 05:33 PM.
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Nobody I knew or was related to rode motorcycles when I was growing up, and as a result it wasn't until I was in my mid-20's before I even noticed that there were motorcycles that weren't made by Harley Davidson. (The "biker-guy" counter-culture thing never really appealed to me.)

These days I have a few friends that ride and I'm finally in a financial position where I can afford to have a bit of fun on two wheels. I find that I lean toward UJMs and entry-level sportbikes and guess which is the cheaper of the two to get started with?
                        Charles
                        --
                        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
                          I always wondered how I got hooked on motorcycling at such an ealy age, and how my love of wrenching, tinkering, and riding has developed over the years.

My father had a couple bikes as I was growing up, but never really got into the motorcycle lifestlye as much as I did.

A few weeks ago, I attended a family reunion of my mother's side of the family. As oft happens no mater what setting it is, riding and wrenching became a subject of discussion.

I was happily supprised when a picture of my grandfather started to be passed around.

I am told it was one of many bikes he had throughout his lifetime. My uncle says it is an Indian (if anyone has any insight as to the model/year that would be great!) that he had in his early 20s. He was a self taught wrench that owned numerous bikes and built a couple as well.

After talking to other uncles and cousins at least 85% of them own or have owned at least one bike.

Just something I thought I'd share. Fun to find out this type of information about your relatives.

Nic
                          That's really cool, thanks for sharing.
                          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

My cousin Danny got me interested in motorcycles. I remember being a kid of around 5 and riding on his Honda 90 out in the feilds.He is ten years older than me. Then when he turned 16 he asked my Dad to co-sign for a bank loan to buy a new Honda 750. Which I remeber riding on the tank, holding on to the cross bar with a helmet that was too big. My Dad did and told him that if the day came that I wanted a motorcycle that he would be obliged to return the favour and co-sign for me. My cousin did just that when I was 18 and I bought a brand new 1983 gs750e. Now my cousin is coming here to BC with his wife to spend two weeks with me and my wife riding on my bikes. It will be the first time in almost 30 years that we have rode together.
                            No signature :(

Comment

Yeah, my dad had an influence on me as well! Although he didn't ride in his later years, when he was a youngster he bought this 1927 Harley and used it for his only form of transportation on Salt Spring Island, BC. It was said that you could hear him coming from miles away! Also, there were more than a few deer brought home strapped to the bike.

IBA# 12860
                              Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                              1984 KZ1100R
                              2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                              2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Working...
                              X