It runs in the family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post
    Yeah, my dad had an influence on me as well! Although he didn't ride in his later years, when he was a youngster he bought this 1927 Harley and used it for his only form of transportation on Salt Spring Island, BC. It was said that you could hear him coming from miles away! Also, there were more than a few deer brought home strapped to the bike.

Great pics Glenn!! Your Dad looks like he might have enjoyed the odd beer too. Just like his boy. Speaking of beer...the Moon Friday?
    No signature :(

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      Great pics Glenn!! Your Dad looks like he might have enjoyed the odd beer too. Just like his boy. Speaking of beer...the Moon Friday?
      Ha ha! I think the old man was a lot smarter than his kid! He really never was much of an imbiber! I think he was too busy working and bringing up kids to have enough time to goof off.

The Moon on Friday sounds good!
      IBA# 12860
      Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
      1984 KZ1100R
      2008 Kawasaki KLR650
      2011 Concours 1400

Comment

First of all, all great stories. My older brother Randy got me and my brother Jim into motorcycling. When we were young. (about 6) We went out of town with my parents. My older brother got to stay home. Well, when we come home leaning against the house was this old Bultaco dirt bike Randy had bought.Jim and I thought it was the coolest thing! Not so much mom and dad. The bike was loud and shot fire out the exhaust. That bike didn't stay around long. Then came the RD350, Z1, Drag Racing... I was hooked!
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I thought this was a fitting place to post this picture of my dad's last restoration project; it is a 37 ' Indian 4. I took him over 20 years to complete this bike. The bike began life as a Massachusetts state police bike , that is why it is painted those colors.My dad still rides this a couple hundred miles a year. Left hand throttle , right hand ignition advance, foot clutch tank shift, brakes are new but pretty much none existent.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            My father was the one who gave me that famous line: "as long as you live under my roof ... there will be no motorcycles."

It was his brother that had the bikes and all the mechanical ability, not sure how it found its way over to me.

In fact, I have no idea how it got to all my siblings, too.
            Click on the link in my sig, you can see that all of us ride.
            Not sure that my sisters were riding before Dad died, I'm sure he would not have approved.

When I started riding, mom said it was either the bike or the family. Being young and bull headed, I chose being disowned as the black sheep. Dad continued to be supportive, but secretively. Eventually, forgiven and back in the fold without a bike.

Decades my son took up riding, and we decided it is better that I should return to biking so I can ride with him. We keep an eye out for each other. He rides a bimmer, me the Suzuki and an Aprilia.

Comment

My family did not ride but did not say no when I bought a Doodlebug scooter while in the 10th grade. terrible thing but drove it for about 6 months. Later, 1957, I was in the Air Force in France and bought a 250 cc BMW, a 1949 R24. 3 months later I was transferred to Erding Germany and left on the R24.Went across Germany to Munich, in November. I had no idea how to fix anything on a motorcycle but made it with no problem. Wore my dress blue uniform ,raincoat, field jacket and our heavy winter overcoat, I looked like a blue Michelin man ! Qit riding the following year until 1975 and have been riding since.

Comment

Working...
              X