Nearly Trashed on Garbage Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nearly Trashed on Garbage Day

Out for an early morning ride down a narrow curvy two-lane road through the Santa Monica Mountains. Really pleasant ride. Limited traffic, nice set of twisties, one with the bike into a series of alternating leans. This is why we ride! Entering into a left bend, notice a large stopped green truck in the opposite on-coming lane. Of course, garbage day. Suddenly, a large black colored Jeep SUV darts out from behind the truck, accelerating directly at me. WTF!!!! Frozen for a split second, no flashes of my life before me, just a panic. Finally, composed enough to try to slow and move to the right, although not really knowing how much space I have. Jeep squeezes pass me, bullet dodged. Could have been road trash because our combined speed is around 50 mph. So count this as a blessing. My riding buddy sees all from behind, honks as the SUV passes, heading off with no acknowledgement of what transpired.

The good: live to ride another day. Any survival is good.
    The bad: another stupid cager out to get me. Not much one can do.
    The ugly: my response. Should have taken the truck as a warning sign, should have prepared just in case, should have responded sooner with an evasive move.

Hope I have learned from this experience.

I am Glad to here the story from you ! and not the news paper

Comment

Yeow, Crash averted ,lesson learned . I'm glad you're ok.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Reminds me of one of my close calls last summer. Some old guy pulled off the shoulder just beyond a corner. I was ready for a car to come around the corner but I was not prepared for the 18 wheeler that came through the corner right down the center of the road. He saw me and left enough room for my bike but I would have been in serious trouble if I were in a car. There was about 6 feet of room between his trailer tires and the ditch.
        Glad you made it through to tell the tale.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, I'll put that info in the vault.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks for your support and well wishes. I just needed to vent. There are things we know we should do, and many of them requires experience to sink in. Riding safely in a dangerous world is one of the latter. The more I ride, the more experience, and the better I become ... so long as I survive.

Comment

Working...
            X