longwinded memories of a GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

longwinded memories of a GS

Hello to all. real quick shout out. thanks for this great site, I have lurked on occasion and I think I am on track...

But first, story of why I am here: (turned out way more longwinded than I planned-sorry)

I grew up in the Bay Area of California, and my dad always commuted by motorcycle. And....Some of My greatest childhood memories were going to Candlestick(3com or whatever it is now-i now abhor baseball) for giants games via his gs1000. I think I was 7...But it was 1984ish or so the last time I remember it running regularly ...I remember him smacking my helmet to keep me awake after the game... I'm thinking..."really?....sleep, now? this is AWESOME....riding a motorcycle next to the bay..."

so cut to 1988, most electronics built in china by now, no need for as many factories in the San Jose area, Dad gets the axe, we pack up and move to Iowa. yay. Already immobile since 84-85, His GS sits in the garage until 1992 when I decide to fire it up.. only takes a few tries -drain the gas, couple squirts of ether and a battery charger. SO I rode it for a summer, albeit having to pop the clutch repeatedly due to an electrical glitch(i have since read about). I feel like this is exactly how a bike should be built. I then graduate and move on. A guy who had seen it in the garage stops by a couple years later, and asks to buy it. Dad calls me to see if im ok with it...I said "sure go ahead"

This was a mistake. Like I said, all bikes should have been built like this. I base my taste in all motorcycles on that bike. Even later on The bike I bought on my own was an FZ-1. WHich reminded me of the gs- It's another great sport standard. Well..... I got rid of it too. (mistake again)

So I am bikeless. And with spring approaching...the bug is biting I want a bike. Got to thinking of that old GS, so I started doing research. I even had Mom trying to dig up old pics or paperwork-no dice. she did find a pic of his old kawasaki he had before, which was still very cool. I'd like to find a GS and restore it not only to ride, but to keep one of my favorite memories of my Dad alive. Or find a decent survivor to keep going...

Maybe you guys can make double sure i have the right info so I can search correctly? Here's what I know.....

It WAS a 1979, black and white striped, and it was chain drive not shaft. And it sounded cool.

I am 99.99999% now this means it was an "E" though i don't remember any letters on that side cover.

Again, sorry for the sappy long book I just wrote... LOL This site is a goldmine. I hope the next time you read a post from me, It will be because I have found a good one to restore and need help finding parts.

OH, Here is a pic stolen from google. This is just what I remember it looking like. Is this an "E"?

Oh, and long shot: anyone here from southeast Iowa area happen to buy a GS in the 90's, and still have it and want to sell it? LOL worth the shot.....

thanks for reading.

wow I just sat staring at that pic for 10 solid minutes.

I am now obsessed I think.

Comment

Welcome !!
      Nice story. The pictured is a '78 GS1000, otherwise known as a "skunk"...I don't think I need to explain why.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

got it. lol

Question: was it made that way in 79 as well?

if not...Dad's was a 78. Because that is EXACTLY what this bike was. Oh, And.... my memory is shot.

Comment

Welcome--reading your story only solidifies my thought process for keeping my "T".

I grew up in SoCal and admired a lot of bikes during the early 80s. The bike that got my attention was the KZ1000 in red. (This is before I knew red was not a good color to own in Cali)

Anyway, I hope you find what you're looking for and please keep GSR updated with your adventures.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by peels View Post
            got it. lol

Question: was it made that way in 79 as well?

if not...Dad's was a 78. Because that is EXACTLY what this bike was. Oh, And.... my memory is shot.
            The white stripe is on an indented portion of the tank.That tank was only made in 1978.The 79's ,same shape tank but without indent.
            Good luck with the search,they are still around for sale.
            http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
            1978 GS1000C
            1979 GS1000E
            1980 GS1000E
            2004 Roadstar

Comment

Welcome, reading your post brought back why I have my "G" now. Way back in 82 I let one go just like what I have now, thinking it was too much of an old mans bike to keep around then. The new 83 CB1100F was just the S$it and I just had to have one. Well now I'm "old" enough to appreciate the "G" again and won't make the same mistake twice. Even though I have an engine split in my near future on the G, I'm gonna get that done so I can still enjoy it during the summer.

Your right, they don't make em like this anymore, it makes even my Beemer, even though it's 13 years old feel homogenized in comparison.

You'll find a good Skunk, keep at it, and you'll also have the rest of us in the Asylum around for encouragement to keep you addicted to your addiction...

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                The white stripe is on an indented portion of the tank.That tank was only made in 1978.The 79's ,same shape tank but without indent.
                Good luck with the search,they are still around for sale.
                beauty...this helps!

it was NOT indented.

thank you VERY much.

Comment

or maybe it was...jeez. memory is fleeting. I remember polishing it, but dont remember an indent....

that doesn't mean it wasn't there though.....

Comment

Originally posted by bbjumper View Post
                    Welcome, reading your post brought back why I have my "G" now. Way back in 82 I let one go just like what I have now, thinking it was too much of an old mans bike to keep around then. The new 83 CB1100F was just the S$it and I just had to have one. Well now I'm "old" enough to appreciate the "G" again and won't make the same mistake twice. Even though I have an engine split in my near future on the G, I'm gonna get that done so I can still enjoy it during the summer.

Your right, they don't make em like this anymore, it makes even my Beemer, even though it's 13 years old feel homogenized in comparison.

You'll find a good Skunk, keep at it, and you'll also have the rest of us in the Asylum around for encouragement to keep you addicted to your addiction...
                    oh missed this -BMW R bikes.... no slouch either. I would LOOOVE to have 1100r or 1150 r.... I started looking at those back at the millenium turn as well...when I was starting to realize the mistake I made by letting dad sell the GS.

I think bikes should be simple... reliable OR easy to fix if they break.. As I feel BMW's air cooled USED to be anyways.

I want the GS for the memories...and the ride.

well see. I'm not gonna get in a hurry and grab hold of a huge problem.... i'd like to get an "OK" runner...then customize and restore a little bit later on...

probably be a busy summer anyways. Weve taken on boating as a family hobby this year...kids are a great age for it. I imagine that will gobble up most of my time.

Comment

this is local to me....

def. not a fan of the wheels. stock magz are fine. or the exhaust.

and not a fan of the price with the work Id have to do...gas tank....

not that the price is bad, just doesnt have all of what I want.

what do you folks think?

Comment

Originally posted by peels View Post
                        this is local to me....

def. not a fan of the wheels. stock magz are fine. or the exhaust.

and not a fan of the price with the work Id have to do...gas tank....

not that the price is bad, just doesnt have all of what I want.

what do you folks think?

http://ottumwa.craigslist.org/mcy/3626239626.html
                        Just my opinion, no way is that bike worth near that asking price. I have seen many that look better for less
                        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

1650 for a bike with a bunged up tank
                          nooooooooo way.

Comment

Your story was enjoyable. Old cycles and memories go hand in hand. Good luck on your search.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              Your story was enjoyable. Old cycles and memories go hand in hand. Good luck on your search.

yep....I think about it, and the noise of the exhaust...I can hear it in my mind...and remember that ride from San Jose to San Francisco. This was 1983 and I was 7 or 8 and it feels like yesterday in some ways....

marvin, and Jeep. I agree on that price, I was hoping more knowledgeable folks would concur.

thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X