First (very short) ride report story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First (very short) ride report story

Some of you may know that I am in possession of a 1983 GS650 L with less than 1000 original miles on it. I found it in a climate controlled storage facility when the owner wanted to clear it out as he was preparing to move soon. It has not been running for nearly 30 years except a feeble attempt to get it going over 2 years ago.

Now I have it going with all new fluids, a carb rebuild, brakes R &R and new rubber and tires. I have tried to make it as new as possible and return it to the road. Last night I finished the carb synch and put the tank on it and snapped the seat down....and it was ready for a test ride...!

I poured in a cup or so of fuel that I had left in the gas can and went up & down the block slowly (in the dark) as the bike began to geet it's legs once again. Running smoothly and powerfully it became clear that I need to ride it further to "get a good feel" of it...But fuel was going to quickly become a problem so I decided to ride it the 2-1/2 miles to the gas station enar my house and fill 'er up.

I pulled into the station and pulled up to the pumps . As I swing my leg off the bike the lightsa thte station went out! It was closing time and they had shut off the pumps so I was unable to get gas.

I decided that the next station (24 hours) was only 4 miles away and I had only been on reserve for short time so I would run over there and fill up. The ride over is country highway at 55 mph and the cool night air was refreshing as I enjoyed the feel of a new-to-me motorcycle. The bike had fully warmed up by this time and was really showing its ability and strength as I rode to the nest station.

Seeing the lights on I was encouraged that I would get gas and ride a bit more on this wonderful machine. Pulling up to the pumps I saw a red bag over the handle ..? The pump was out of order...so I moved to the next one..another red bag..?! And each pump had the red bag on it...?!?!

THEY WERE OUT OF GAS ! The filling station was out of all levels of fuel...?!?!

SO now I had a 6 mile ride home, and was on reserve for the past several miles already...But it made it and now it sits..waiting for me to get some gas and take a proper test ride...

But so far it is a magical thing...A bike that has been sitting for nearly 30 years is now back on the road. Pictures will ahve to wait until I get the time to add some washing and polishing to it...but soon I will be enjoying the ride on a nearly new 30 years old motorcycle from 1983.

Totally dig your "magical" little story. It captures the excitement of getting a GS and the feeling of that first ride.
    The cool night air.....the first twist of the throttle.....the pull of the bike......the danger of running out of gas. Lol
    Looking forward to hearing and seeing more of this bike.
    Congrats.

Comment

I can totally understand the desire to get on that thing and take her for a spin before the day is through. Since my weekends are pretty much full with family stuff right now, all of the days I have been able to test ride my bike (my first bike!) have looked something like this:

- Wake up
      - Go to work
      - Get home from work
      - Eat dinner
      - "Oh crap, there's only 1.5 hours of daylight left"
      - Tweak/tinker with something on the bike for 1 hour
      - Ride around neighborhood for remaining 30 minutes of daylight
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

You used up quite a bit of good karma, which you earned by saving a fine bike. Good on ya.

Comment

I was expecting a bad ending, luckily I was wrong.
          So, the bike found a good home and a proud owner.
          Congratulations!
          Surely you must take a pic or two and post it,
          we LOVE pic's.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Strange but amusing...

I found it incredibly coincidental that the first station closed just as I pulled in and up to the pumps..Literally the light went off as I removed the gas cap...Then to go to another station that had run out of gas...? Anyone ever experience that before..?

All new to me....just like the bike...

(Pictures after cleaning and polishing - I promise)

Comment

That sounds like someone wanted to make sure you had time on the bike. Congratulations and I am looking forward to seeing pictures as soon as you can.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

LOL great story! My issue has been when finally getting back on the road at the beginning of a season and thinking "I'll just ride over to the gas station and Walmart." and then totally forget both stops and try riding for a half hour until I run out of gas . Victim of the GS siren song lol

Comment

Working...
                X