the old motorcycle in the basement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the old motorcycle in the basement

Hello folks- im new to this site and I want to share my GS425 story. One night while at my girlfriends very elderly grandparents house, we were talking about how the old man used to be an indian dealer back in the 40's. As the conversation got deeper, someone spoke up about "the old motorcycle in the basement." He went on to say that out of any motorcycle he has ever owned, the one in the basement is his favorite. Being the collector of old iron that I am, My interest was immediately sparked. With my hopes up so high that I might see a "barn find" indian chief or something of this vintage, I demanded that I see this favorite old bike in the basement. As I went downstairs, my excitement turned to dissapointment as I saw this 1979 suzuki GS425 covered in layers of dust in the corner. Because I had been bragging about what a mechanic I am- it was suggested that I buy this thing. being one that tries to not shy away from a challenge, I reluctantly accepted. I also should include that I am the type that reads the instructions after I put something together, research a car after I buy it, read the fine print after....you get the point. Anyways, The bike was set up, the carbs and tank were left with gas in them and the last time it was on the road was 1983. After cleaning the carbs- trying to burn the gas out of the brass floats with a lighter (lesson learned), replacing the floats with new ones and freeing up the engine with some PB blaster- I have about 3000 miles on her. And after owning an assortment of motorcycles in my life I can agree with the old man. This is now my favorite motorcycle I have ever owned!

Nice story,
    Of course it would've been an extraordinary find to find an old Indian chief instead.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

I am sure that you have taken it by for his inspection??? I bet he was elated to see his baby back up and talking back again!!!
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Welcome! pics. are required you know. terrylee

Comment

Hey Denny, nice one! My 450 is still my favourite bike too...
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
          X