Friend crashed. She's ok. Her story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friend crashed. She's ok. Her story.

A friend and colleague of mine went down recently. Here is what she told me about what happened. I omitted some details for her anonymity. Be careful out there and for heaven's sake...ATGATT!!!

==================================================

Well, I've finally joined the ranks of those motorcyclists who have crashed. Went down on my new bike Monday night on <some highway> on the way to <some other highway>. I was in the left lane behind a minivan and the van swerved to the right suddenly.

Someone had dropped a sofa right in the middle of the left lane and I hit it at speed.

The bike went down and I felt it go; watched it shoot away from me and registered I was going down. Then I slid/ tumbled about 200 ft. My goal was to make the shoulder so I didn't get hit / run over.

Had ALL my safety gear on as usual. My pants, jacket and gloves burned through in spots and the helmet has a huge scrape across the visor (would have been my right cheek/eye) but there's not a single mark on me except for 4 cracked fingernails --And my heated jacket got ruined too.

Bike is probably totaled but we'll see. The paramedics and med staff were amazed and the trooper (who initially thought I was dead because I asked them to cover me up with a blanket) (I was cold)-- was stunned. He couldn't get over the fact that I walked away at all.

In the aftermath feel like Ive been in an industrial dryer. Just wanted to let you know...
    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Thank goodness...

Wow ...What a story..Good thing she was able to walk away(somewhat).

Not to diminish the happening to her, but I am curious...
    What gear does she use..?
    Jacket material ? Leather, Mesh,Textile
    Pants material?
    Gloves - Motorcycle specific or otherwise?
    Helmet style ?
    Boots..?

Just trying to understand the dynamics of such a high speed get off...

And of cource -- Best Wishes for a speedy recovery
    Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Glad she's ok, if you want to pass on any good advice to help her prevent a similar accident in the future, tell her to increase her following distance, first rule of any safety class, not chastising her, just don't want to see her get hurt, or anyone for that matter. Some accidents don't leave you many options and require quick thinking, some are avoidable. Ride safe!

Comment

Increase following distance AND when behind any truck or van that leaves you "blind" as to whats ahead..my rule is that I stay to one side or the other far enough that I can peek past the vehicle. That or at the very first safe time I get ahead of said vehicle.

Under no circumstances do I allow myself to be held blind behind a large vehicle.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
          Wow ...What a story..Good thing she was able to walk away(somewhat).

Not to diminish the happening to her, but I am curious...
          What gear does she use..?
          Jacket material ? Leather, Mesh,Textile
          Pants material?
          Gloves - Motorcycle specific or otherwise?
          Helmet style ?
          Boots..?

Just trying to understand the dynamics of such a high speed get off...

And of cource -- Best Wishes for a speedy recovery
          I've seen her in a variety of gear over the last year or so but its always high end. I suspect she was wearing what I saw her in last which was a a high end two-piece armored leather suit (Alpine Stars?), a full face non-modular helmet (forget the make), and Lee Park's gauntlet style leather gloves. All top quality. The gear saved her bacon and probably her life.

And, as far as the suggestions that she must have been following too closely, I agree. When the time is appropriate I'll discuss what she might have learned from the episode.

She is a MSF and Total Control instructor. I suspect (and this pure conjecture on my part as I only know what I put in my original post) that she was not following what she knows to be best practices.

I'm very glad that she is still alive and the seems, for the most part, unscathed. Something like this must be very unsettling for her.
          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Glad to hear she is O.K. She is very lucky, but IMHO her preparation beforehand and ability to think during the event is what saved her life.

Comment

The gremlins are always there, watching and waiting and they strike when there is the least time or space available. I'm glad she is OK and only "beat up" a little. Cheers!
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I hope they catch the guy who dropped the load on the road. He has a lot of restitution to make.

Comment

Unfortunately following distance is out of your control on the freeway, if you leave enough for a car, someone puts a car there. Following something you can see through/around is critical though. I won't follow large trucks even when driving my truck.

Comment

Wow.....I am glad your friend is ok.

Who would ever think of getting taken out by a couch.

When I am in my truck or car and come upon a hazard, I always consider my surroundings, including the people behind me. I wonder if that is due to being a rider?

Unfortunately, we will never be able to avoid all the hazards.

Comment

Unfortunately, we will never be able to avoid all the hazards...
                      yes I agree...and better a couch than a refridgerator- I've seen a moron lose one of these on the highway...Many other hazards too-wheels and tires shreds off semis, for instance...sure, Ride defensively, and don't linger near these potential horror shows to lower the odds a lot, but there's a limit to it.
                      I'm glad she's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        Increase following distance AND when behind any truck or van that leaves you "blind" as to whats ahead..my rule is that I stay to one side or the other far enough that I can peek past the vehicle. That or at the very first safe time I get ahead of said vehicle.

Under no circumstances do I allow myself to be held blind behind a large vehicle.
                        I do that same thing but I'm always amazed at how many bikes I see going down the road dead center in the lane and following too close.

Comment

Gear is good, glad she's OK.

Comment

I'm glad to hear your friend is okay. That's a great lesson I'm passing onto my 15 year old right now as she's about ready to start driving/riding herself.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear she cracked four nails.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X