X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5000 miles in 33 years

They grow up so fast:

Geez! I've put more miles than that on a bike in two weeks. LOL
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

It is amazing to see the numbers on that odometer, alright!
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
      1979 GS1000

Comment

Very nice! I thought mine was pretty low mileage but you got me beat with 5000.

Comment

Looks great! Except of course the 85mph speedo.
          No signature :(

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
            It is amazing to see the numbers on that odometer, alright!
            im responsible for a bit more than 700 of those miles as i bring her back to life. original tires and tool kit and everything. It's exciting to see her living the life she deserves, even if it took a quarter century to happen.

Originally posted by trevor View Post
            Looks great! Except of course the 85mph speedo.
            The 85 mph speedo is staying. mileage aside, i won't be tempted to brag about how fast i went on 95 northbound if i don't actually know...

Comment

Originally posted by MOC View Post
              im responsible for a bit more than 700 of those miles as i bring her back to life. original tires and tool kit and everything. ...

PLEASE do yourself a favor and get those ancient tires off of there, unless you plan on parking the bike as a display item.

Most of us don't like using tires that are FIVE years old, let alone 33.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

"The 85 mph speedo is staying. mileage aside, i won't be tempted to brag about how fast i went on 95 northbound if i don't actually know..."

+1 On the tires...Probably should stay off 95 Northbound until you do

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                  "The 85 mph speedo is staying. mileage aside, i won't be tempted to brag about how fast i went on 95 northbound if i don't actually know..."

+1 On the tires...Probably should stay off 95 Northbound until you do
                  I would stay off my driveway with 30 yearold tires.
                  No signature :(

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

PLEASE do yourself a favor and get those ancient tires off of there, unless you plan on parking the bike as a display item.

Most of us don't like using tires that are FIVE years old, let alone 33.

Trust me, the originals are off. Sorry i wasn't very clear on that one. There was no way I was going to ride on the original tires. Yuck. I mounted and balanced some pirelli MT series tires before the bike had it's first foray out on the road. I love them btw. They're awesome:

90x90x19 front
                    120x80x16 rear

list of repairs/restorations to date:

1 Brazed and repainted tank
                    2 Replaced tires and balanced them (not as difficult as i had anticipated)
                    3 Rebuilt the front brake caliper with new rubber and new pads
                    4 Rebuilt the front brake master cylinder
                    5 Tore down the carbs and completely cleaned them from the bottom up
                    6 Rejetted for Pod filters (The PO had cut the airbox in half in an attempt to remove it)
                    7 Replace the factory sealed beam headlight with an H4 style setup
                    8 Replaced the factory handlebars with some Renthal dirtbike bars i got for free (think superbike bars)
                    9 Rebuilt, then re-rebuilt, then got angry and completely replaced the factory petcock

The list goes on

My goal is to make her exactly the way I want her without doing anything that can't be undone. I want to be able to return the bike to absolute bone stock original if I need to. No de-tabbing, no welding, no cutting, nothing. So far so good.

For only 4200+ miles when i bought her, she's showing her age. Most of it is issues with gaskets and seals as the dry rot has set in.

Like I said before, it's exciting to breathe new life into this old girl. She's a treat to drive.

Comment

Mate good stuff! I put about 10000km's on my 450 before I had to take her off the road in 2001 (bought her in '98), and since completing the rebuild at the very end of 2011 I'm close to 15000km's now... and they keep counting up
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Does that odometer shows the correct figures,Must be correct but very happy for them...

Comment

105,000, right? Maybe 205,000?
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
                            Here is mine last summer.

Of course you can see the trip meter.

So over 100,000 KMs it is..

Daniel
                            Well it's about time you got the damn thing broken in !!
                            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                            https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Hope you enjoy the bike.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X