tried a new tire...bad mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tried a new tire...bad mistake

long time no talk fellers....mainly cause i been busy an the ol 850 has been trouble free lol...

i abandoned my 230 shinkos for some kenda challengers...

kenda claimed good handling and good wear...which is what i do

2 weeks of riding an oh 1200 or so miles...my rear tire is at half tread...

they handle like poo...i had maybe 1/4 inch or less of chicken strips with shinko 230...cant even get close with these cause the damn bike starts to wobble..

needless to say ill be taking these tires off in a few weeks to replace them with the good ol 230s...

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
    long time no talk fellers....mainly cause i been busy an the ol 850 has been trouble free lol...

i abandoned my 230 shinkos for some kenda challengers...

kenda claimed good handling and good wear...which is what i do

2 weeks of riding an oh 1200 or so miles...my rear tire is at half tread...

they handle like poo...i had maybe 1/4 inch or less of chicken strips with shinko 230...cant even get close with these cause the damn bike starts to wobble..

needless to say ill be taking these tires off in a few weeks to replace them with the good ol 230s...
    Why did you abandon the Shinko 230's? I'm putting my first set of them through the corners and really like them, especially for the price. Just curious on your thoughts of the Shinko's...too bad about the Challengers, I've heard that about them though.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I've heard a lot of tire comments, but I have yet to hear praise of Kenda tires.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The Shinko 712 is patterned after the Kenda Challengers, not sure if they use better rubber. I never have liked the Challengers.

We have a few bikes here on the 230s, no problems so far.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Was curious, so just checked. Kenda tires are made in Taiwan, China and Vietnam.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The Shinko 712 is patterned after the Kenda Challengers, not sure if they use better rubber. I never have liked the Challengers.

We have a few bikes here on the 230s, no problems so far.

I have 5K on my 712's and have had no problems with them.
            Although I could replace them, I sorta want to see just how far they'll go.

FWIW - I have my 3rd set of Kenda K270's on my dual sport and I get about 5 thousand each season out of them too! 50/50 street/trail

Neither set are optimal, but seem to be capable in all conditions and durable & inexpensive.

Comment

I made that mistake once. Hated the challengers. Just like you said wobbly with no tread life. Lately I've been running Pirelli sport demons, and those tires rock. If you shop around ypu can find good deals on them too. I got both tires for under 150 shipped tp my door. I get that everyone likes to save money but tires are the worst placr for that...

At least the kendas dont last long

Comment

Out of curiosity, what kind of life are you guys getting out of the shinkos? I'm running 1" wheels and it's almost all straight roads out here. I would like to have somthing than can deal with a canyon but really I want a 5000+ mile life.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                  I made that mistake once. Hated the challengers. Just like you said wobbly with no tread life. Lately I've been running Pirelli sport demons, and those tires rock. If you shop around ypu can find good deals on them too. I got both tires for under 150 shipped tp my door. I get that everyone likes to save money but tires are the worst placr for that...

At least the kendas dont last long
                  Plus one on the Sport Demons. I've got 7000 km on mine and am still outside the wear bars. Where did you get them for $150 ? Mine were $265 shipped.
                  Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                  https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                    Why did you abandon the Shinko 230's? I'm putting my first set of them through the corners and really like them, especially for the price. Just curious on your thoughts of the Shinko's...too bad about the Challengers, I've heard that about them though.

i love the shinkos best tire ive had yet...i ran the 712's which were ok, but the 230s are the best so far

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                      Out of curiosity, what kind of life are you guys getting out of the shinkos? I'm running 1" wheels and it's almost all straight roads out here. I would like to have somthing than can deal with a canyon but really I want a 5000+ mile life.
                      well as hard as i am on tires(cornering hard take off an maybe a few smokies) no joke i swear i got 6k ot of my last 230 shinko before it showed wires(i run back tires till they show wires..just ride carefull), and about 8-10k from the front

Comment

I put Kenda Challengers on one of my little fleet. Definitely a bad tire. I tried a set of Chen Shings on one of my 1000Gs These were surprisingly average. They were equal or better than Bridgstone Spitfires. I just ordered a set of Avons for this bike yesterday. Some time I'll try the Shinkos.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                          I put Kenda Challengers on one of my little fleet. Definitely a bad tire. I tried a set of Chen Shings on one of my 1000Gs These were surprisingly average. They were equal or better than Bridgstone Spitfires. I just ordered a set of Avons for this bike yesterday. Some time I'll try the Shinkos.
                          If they were the Cheng Shin Hi-Max, they were probably a bit better than "average". I liked them, but they are no longer available.

The Shinkos have pretty much stepped in to fill that void of "at least average" tires at a VERY affordable price.

Brian Wringer tried a set on his 850 and was reasonably impressed, except for tire life. You can read his report HERE.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                            I just ordered a set of Avons for this bike yesterday.
                            Oh Oh . I just found my recently replaced Avon (replaced due to cracks) is cracked worse than the first one .

Sorry. Didnt mean to start Avon bashing.
                            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                              Oh Oh . I just found my recently replaced Avon (replaced due to cracks) is cracked worse than the first one .

Sorry. Didnt mean to start Avon bashing.
                              It's not "bashing" if it's true.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X