X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True, true, true

Originally posted by eil View Post
    In my experience, there are three kinds of bad drivers:

1. Ones who don't pay attention to the act of driving out of sheer cluelessness. They talk/text on phone while driving, don't look before changing lanes, etc, but don't generally mean any harm.

2. The ones who do pay attention, but just don't care. These are the ones who pull out in front of you after they've guessed that you have enough space to brake for them, try to merge into you when they know full well you're there, and so on. You're occupying the space that they want to be in, and they expect you to get out of their way.

3. Those who actively seek confrontation on the road because they think they have something to prove. Tailgaters are the most typical sort around these parts, but you also on occasion see someone trying to intimidate or actively harm another driver. Like the goons who actively try to make motorcyclists crash.

From your description of events, I think the guy you encountered probably falls in category 3. I don't think he was trying to race you, I think he was trying to intimidate you. Some people are so insecure that they have this constant need to challenge others in order to make themselves feel like they're in control. Perhaps overcompensating for a deficiency in another department? Who knows...

It's fun to daydream about how we would respond in a manly or clever fashion to a particular situation. But when it comes down to it, the only rational response to is to simply look out for number one first and get yourself out of the dangerous situation as quickly and safely as possible. Regardless of traffic laws.
    Correct on all points...at least in my opinion. I just came back from a drive with my eldest and she pointed out that I notice WAY too much of what others do. She's got this impression that I always want to be right and that I'm condescending. I think I rubbed off on her but she won't admit it.

Anyway, driving and riding is just about a matter of survival these days. That's why I give the right of way even when I have it...unless I'm in my car.

Who knows why people do the crap they do on the road. Our responsibility is to avoid a bad situation and get to our destination safely.

Thanks for bringing up all these points...I thought I was being too critical of the road environment.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post
      Plus, you are in the States... guns.
      Works for me.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i've seen this before but with a twist,
        I was sitting at the light in the car on the other side was a bike next to him was a mustang doing same revving etc as you described. light turns green bike takes with a slight burnout mustang turns sirens on and pulls him over.
        After that when someone is trying to pull some crap like that I take off slower than a grandma just enough not to get rear ended but way slower than normal. and then proceed at 5-10 under speed limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodik View Post
          ....when someone is trying to pull some crap like that I take off slower than a grandma just enough not to get rear ended but way slower than normal. and then proceed at 5-10 under speed limit.

That can work as long as you don't have a nut behind you. If you do, that action could definitely pi$$ him off and he may do something really stupid with you somehow involved. Since we're talking safety here, I still say the safest response is to get out of his way and let him take himself out sometime in the near future.

Comment

I would have done exactly what your deep seated sense told you to do, with a smile on my face.
            You can either run from a threat or engage it. How much do you value your own life, he obviously didn't give spit about yours.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2013, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Works for me.
              A guy got out of his car and came at me with a bat, I pulled out my empty pistol and showed it to him. He got back in his car and left.

I try to avoid confrontation, let him have the road and you control the situation.
              V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

More often not, there is no winning against a vehicle many times more massive, so the best reaction is self preservation, although I fully understand the internal sense of injustice suffered by bikers. Aways good to return home in one piece, even if it means taking an unplanned turn or pulling over, or even violating a traffic law to get out of harms way.

Comment

Next time use your phone to take a pic of the plate or get the number and call it in. 11 years ago I was 33 years old and I confronted a 21 year old driver about why he drove up and over the sidewalk. He apologized and said he dropped a CD and was looking for it. Just then the 20 year old passenger told me to eff off and mind my own effing business. I got angry-walked to the passenger side and told him he better shut the eff up. He told me to bring it on and called me tough guy. I grabbed him by the neck and attempted to pull him out of the car but the driver took off pulling the guy from my angry hands. That night a deputy visited my house. A month later that deputy gave me the heads up about a warrant for my arrest. I turned myslf in. All 4 occupants of the car said their was NO sidewalk driving and that I - unprovoked confronted the passenger and I was the agressor. Cost me $400 in fines and probation for 1 year.

Deputy sympathized with me- told me he thinks the others were lying BUT NEXT TIME TO CALL THE POLICE IF I SEE RECKLESS DRIVING. So- I suggest the same to you.

THE DEPUTY AND THE JUDGE TOLD ME I NEED TO CONTROL MY ANGER. I have been behaving since then.
                  Last edited by mharrington; 05-22-2013, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
                    Next time use your phone to take a pic of the plate or get the number and call it in. 11 years ago I was 33 years old and I confronted a 21 year old driver about why he drove up and over the sidewalk. He apologized and said he dropped a CD and was looking for it. Just then the 20 year old passenger told me to eff off and mind my own effing business. I got angry-walked to the passenger side and told him he better shut the eff up. He told me to bring it on and called me tough guy. I grabbed him by the neck and attempted to pull him out of the car but the driver took off pulling the guy from my angry hands. That night a deputy visited my house. A month later that deputy gave me the heads up about a warrant for my arrest. I turned myslf in. All 4 occupants of the car said their was NO sidewalk driving and that I - unprovoked confronted the passenger and I was the agressor. Cost me $400 in fines and probation for 1 year.

Deputy sympathized with me- told me he thinks the others were lying BUT NEXT TIME TO CALL THE POLICE IF I SEE RECKLESS DRIVING. So- I suggest the same to you.

THE DEPUTY AND THE JUDGE TOLD ME I NEED TO CONTROL MY ANGER. I have been behaving since then.
                    I commend you on the try-

Comment

Wow! That's Rough

Originally posted by mharrington View Post

What an expensive lesson...thanks for sharing your story.

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

That is just plain nutty. You should have been given a medal for your acts, not a fine.
                        But on the other side of the coin, if there were 4 occupants in the car, you could have also been jumped by all of them.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

It is not worth confronting anyone! You never know who has a gun

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                            That is just plain nutty. You should have been given a medal for your acts, not a fine.
                            But on the other side of the coin, if there were 4 occupants in the car, you could have also been jumped by all of them.
                            That's hilarious- these sissy's of today only know how to fight with a game controller, and run their suck. The schools do their best to take any and all will to defend themselves away. Glad I grew up in a different time where we actually did fight, make up and move on. A guy I use to lock up with on a weekly basis, went to prison, got rehabed and we are still in contact to this day. It gives perspective and respect. There are things you just don't do- cause and effect. And on the other note- I never leave home without my CCW- most times when I ride I open carry- it tends to keep the stupids at bay. One other beautiful thing about Kentucky is when deadly force isn't authorized, physical force is.

Comment

It sucks not being able to give someone the beatdown they deserve- not injure or maim but just a good ass kickin lesson. To the original poster- by calling in the plate, the drivers action and the car theres high probabilty he'd get more than just a talking too. Chances are that punk has no insurance and the plate is off his moms minivan so he'd get some hardship with those tickets.

Comment

Interesting to hear everyone's take on this situation. The thought crossed my mind to get this guys plate number, but speaking from experience I really don't think it would have done much good. When there are no witnesses present to corroborate your story the police aren't much help, at least in the town I live in. Maybe a helmet cam would be a wise investment.
                                I have an aversion to violence, I try to avoid it at all costs, however, in this situation I feel strongly that a lesson was in order for this scumbag and I wish I could have served him a healthy beating. He absolutely deserved one. Running the light would have been fully acceptable too, and if this type of situation ever occurs again that is what I will do. This option did not escape me, but I suppose a certain amount of testosterone fueled bravado did not want to let this fool know that he had me sweating in the slightest. Reactive and stupid on my part.
                                I live in an area with a really healthy biker population. Funny thing is I have not one friend that rides... I'm going to make it a point to find a friend to go riding with.

Comment

Working...
                                X