What a ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a ride

I bought my first bike in Japan in 1981 an 81 GS750L, I was getting ready to head back to the states from being stationed in the east for two years. I picked the bike up in San Francisco at a pier and rode it back to the base in central California. I had the bike for 3 years and loved it...I moved to Texas after the navy and drove the bike exclusively...One day traveling down the freeway, I was doing about 50 mph in fairly heavy traffic, I noticed that something big was in the road up ahead. I went around the object and noted that it was a huge driveshaft from a truck, I didn't have time to see the huge pool of gear oil in the road...As soon as I hit that gear oil, I went side ways to the left. I cranked the handlebars and went side ways to the right, still at the same speed...My butt was on that gas tank as I tried to correct my sway, the bike stayed upright but I was still fishtailing mightily...during this time, a thought went through my mind. So many people have told me that if I ride a motorcycle I eventually would go down, I felt myself slacken my grip and said to myself well this is the time...Just as quickly I said Hell no, I am not giving up and managed to get out of the slick and get off at the next exit...I stopped on the side of the road, got off and fell directly to my knees. I was exhausted, I knew then that I was in charge of what happens to me and to not listen to the horror stories about what could happen to me...

That's impressive, good job keeping yourself and the bike in one piece. One of the regulars here just posted a few days ago about hitting oil and laying the bike down.

Comment

Good job on keeping the bike upright. Though remember, it's not if but when it happens. Just wasn't your turn yet ( hope it never is).
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Good job!! Never give up. If you give up, crashing is certain. Besides, at that point, you really have nothing better to do than to keep on trying. heheh
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I felt myself slacken my grip
          You say you almost gave up at this moment, but this may actually be what saved you. When a motorcycle is going straight, it wants to keep going straight and wrestling with the bars in a panic situation probably only makes things worse.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
          X