Met a new GS650G rider in San Jose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Met a new GS650G rider in San Jose

I was riding one of my usual routes on Highway 130 last Friday between offices and saw a guy going the other way on what I thought had to be a GS. In the spirit of TOM MLC, I turned around and chased after him. Now, as I had just recently dumped this bike and it was my first ride in the twisties since the fall and because I had a brand new front tire, I didn't push hard to catch him so it took me about five minutes.

The gentleman's name is Dennis, and he has a beautifully restore GS650G as shown below and in the video. I tried to get him to look us up but he said he didn't have a computer. I got the feeling Dennis is a retired mechanic who values his privacy and as I didn't want to push so I just gave him my business card and said call me anytime and I'll help you any way I can. He said he's turned the odometer over on her already and she's done about 170,000 miles(!).

Just a beautiful bike and a nice guy so I thought I would share.

Here is the video

And a couple cell phone pics

OK, only odd thing is that fairing, is it just me or is it angled up way higher than the designer intended? I can see how it does the job, though! I'd love to have one like that myself.

Comment

aaaah! More original TDCC engine emblems. It's just killing me...

I see upgrades: SS brake lines, aftermarket coil wires, recovered seat, not sure about that 4:1 header (is it a MAC?).

The bike looks to be in great shape, overall.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I had that same exact fairing on a GS750, bought by fly and ride in San Diego when I lived in Phoenix. The aerodynamics were terrible. Nothing but buffeting and noise no matter how or where you sit. It was so bad I took it off and left it at a road side rest area somewhere around El Centro.

That new 650G is a nice looking bike other than that.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've only ridden one bike with a fairing and it did/does the same thing. I figured that is how it is: takes the wind off your body but you gotta deal with the rest or tuck under. I imagine the huge Harley ones don't do that

Comment

Any well designed fairing doesn't do that, or at least not much. Some are worse than others. The one in the picture was absolutely terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Any well designed fairing doesn't do that, or at least not much. Some are worse than others. The one in the picture was absolutely terrible.
              I think the one on TOM's silver bike has the same issues. It is better than nothing, as I'm finding out riding without it at the moment. I've ordered the exact same replacement so the bike will look the same but with a 3" taller windscreen.

Comment

Bike looks like a 'G' with 'E' body parts-
                sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by recycled64 View Post
                  Bike looks like a 'G' with 'E' body parts-
                  Yes

the '83 is just that. Same front fender as an E. The side panels are different from the E, as is the rear cowl.

The '83 tank is like an E tank, and different from the 81-82 650G as well. The petcock is more centrally located, with the fuel and vacuum lines coming off the back rather than the forward part of the petcock.

The airbox is different than than the E as well.
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

Those side panels are the same as my '81 G.

Comment

Tom,

There might be some difference in the 81-82 G panels compared to the 83 G panels, as I currently have an 82 tank on my 83. The petcock gets hidden by the 83 side panels. Can't see it at all without taking the panel off.
                      '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
                      X