First startup in 10 years. Got me thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First startup in 10 years. Got me thinking

Hey all, just a quick post about a ride that I'll never forget. I'm about to get my GS1000 back on the road after 10 years in storage. (another story), so it's got me thinking.

I figure you folks will appreciate my first big ride many years ago. Shortly after getting this same GS1000, my first and only bike, I carved out a 6 weeks and loaded it up with a tent and gear and set off one rainy day from Toronto with a plan to ride from Toronto Ontario to Victoria British Columbia and back. As an aside the second best ride was picking the bike up for the first time after taking a motorcycle riding course on a 50cc bike. So I show up at the shop and they bring out the tuned up 1979 GS1000N and say here you go. And I think really? What a blast getting on it that first time and riding away.

Anyway, just me and the bike and a 6000 km round trip and no rush and no schedule. There are lots of memories of that ride, but I'll just tell you about one day riding across the canadian prairie's. In case you haven't been there they are as flat as flat can be. And the road from Winnipeg to Calgary is almost entirely dead straight for 1000 kms. When I started out that morning in the sun was rising behind me in the east. I watched it rise as I road west in both my rear view mirrors. For most of that day I just zoned in at 140kms / hr and road. It was perfect. It flew by, I felt like I could have road forever. As the sun passed overhead and started to set in front of me It was beautiful...amazing colours. The sunset seemed to last really long and I realized that at 140km / hr you are actually chasing the sun around the curve of the planet. No ****, do the math, the sunset actually lasts a half hour or so longer. Anyone noticed this? So I have this moment as the sun sets and I think I can't stop. And I can't remember how much gas is in the tank, and I look down and it's like three quarters full. That's a good moment.

I'm really looking forward to the first start up after 10 years.

Good riding.

Fabulous story. Thanks for sharing that, I can see it in my minds eye. Never been west of Winnipeg (coldest city in Canada in January......brrrrr!) but I imagine the prairies.

Enjoy the ride & stay safe.

spyug

Comment

Originally posted by RobertGS1000 View Post
      The sunset seemed to last really long and I realized that at 140km / hr you are actually chasing the sun around the curve of the planet. No ****, do the math, the sunset actually lasts a half hour or so longer. Anyone noticed this?
      I have noticed it, but not on a motorcycle. Sunsets can last for 6 or 8 hours, the sun can rise in the North, when it does it is mostly blue.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
      X