Thought I would share

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I would share

I constantly hear about how people in cars cause accidents. I just figured I would share my story.
    I was 19, and thought I was "to good" to crash. I was out on a back road with my GS550L going as fast as I could on that road. Was not paying a lot of attention to the road, or the sides. A deer came out onto the road and my reaction was completely wrong. I grabbed the brakes and clutch, locked the front wheel so even if I had missed the deer I was going down. I did hit the deer. Ended up with road rash covering half of my back wrapping around to my sternum.
    I made several mistakes. To fast, was not paying enough attention, and overreacting. The one thing I did right was wearing a helmet. I hit hard enough to crack the helmet and rip the lens off.
    I learned that day just what not to do, the hard way. Everyone makes mistakes, even the riders. I watch more of the road and whats coming now, yes I have had a few close calls in 20 years of riding, but I am still here and still riding. Shaun

Never ride faster than your central processing unit can interpret the data. heh
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Good Story

Originally posted by Reddog170 View Post
      I constantly hear about how people in cars cause accidents. I just figured I would share my story.
      I was 19, and thought I was "to good" to crash. I was out on a back road with my GS550L going as fast as I could on that road. Was not paying a lot of attention to the road, or the sides. A deer came out onto the road and my reaction was completely wrong. I grabbed the brakes and clutch, locked the front wheel so even if I had missed the deer I was going down. I did hit the deer. Ended up with road rash covering half of my back wrapping around to my sternum.
      I made several mistakes. To fast, was not paying enough attention, and overreacting. The one thing I did right was wearing a helmet. I hit hard enough to crack the helmet and rip the lens off.
      I learned that day just what not to do, the hard way. Everyone makes mistakes, even the riders. I watch more of the road and whats coming now, yes I have had a few close calls in 20 years of riding, but I am still here and still riding. Shaun
      Thanks for sharing. My thought on "too good" to crash is this...

Ride with a sense that you aren't going to crash--not being conceited but to know it's not going to happen. My logic being: think it and you will do it. (This of course, taking into account riders have taken the MSF and wear all your gear all the time)

There is a "Do you wear helmet" thread going on right now where most everyone is siding with wearing one but not being told to.

You have experienced something that leads you to wear one. We all know the surface of the road is unyielding to soft skin but sometimes we make bad choices. You lived to tell your story and are a testament of why riders should wear helmets.

Thanks again for sharing your story.

Ed
      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 07-05-2013, 05:23 PM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Working...
      X