No announcement yet.

5 days before the crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stuff Rob. Glad you found some good scenery, not hard in this part of the world. And guys, it's just a sample of what's in store for next years rally. For the day after our longish day ride I was thinking of a ride to Fernie and do some some stuff on the Fernie ski hill , it's in the background in Rob's Fernie picture. The chairlift runs all summer, there's a restaurant at top, some short and long hikes and for the more adventuresome with good medical coverage there's downhill mountain bikes for rent. Rob, I'm really glad you at least got some great pre-crash riding in.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
      The chairlift runs all summer, there's a restaurant at top, some short and long hikes and for the more adventuresome with good medical coverage there's downhill mountain bikes for rent. Rob, I'm really glad you at least got some great pre-crash riding in.
      We'll have to keep Rob off of those mountain bikes for sure!

Thanks for posting this Rob, that Little Joe Rd. has my interest piqued! I wonder if there is a Hoss Rd. or Adam Rd. there too!
      IBA# 12860
      Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
      1984 KZ1100R
      2008 Kawasaki KLR650
      2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Hill Climb

Sandy: "I was thinking of a ride to Fernie and do some some stuff on the Fernie ski hill , it's in the background in Rob's Fernie picture.
        The chairlift runs all summer, there's a restaurant at top, some short and long hikes and for the more adventuresome with good medical coverage
        there's downhill mountain bikes for rent."

Hey Sandy, since You, Me and azr have Off Road Experience with our 1000s, can't we just ride our bikes up the Ski Hill?
        We'll get some Enduro Tires, chase down a Kokanee carrying Sasquatch?,,..

Lemme know if ya wants me to be a Servant for next years Rally.
        Then the Host can get in more riding.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures.

Were some of those taken near the Crow's Nest? That rock in Alberta looks familiar.

Chris
          1983 750 Katana
          1982 750 Katana (parts use)
          1983 RZ350

Comment

Great pics..thanks for sharing.

Comment

Ok, finally have some more time to post. It's amazing really how long it takes to post up pictures. So from St. Maries, Idaho I headed down the East side along #3. I remember riding past this watering hole a few times before, was due time to stop in.

There are so many little spots like this in the US, nothing but a post office and a bar. From there I headed further south stopping in Kendrick. A great little town in the middle of know where. A local rider pointed out a great short cut to the #12, and this time it didn't involve dirt, Hubbard Gulch Road. Great little road brings you right up along the Clearwater River and the #12. From there I headed down the #95 thru Grangville. Once I was there I knew exactly where I wanted to spend the night, at the Swift Water RV park in White Bird right along the Salmon River, Hells canyon they call it. A real treat if you ever get the chance. There's a real decent restaurant/pub that will open just about anytime of the night if you have cash and a bar beside it that stays open even later. So my bellies full, the beer has made me dosile, I hit the hay hoping for a good sleep. At 03:30 the first crack of lightning hits, out I go to put the fly on and notice that the 4 guys beside me are also worried about the approaching rain...

I wonder why. Poor fella, at least there was a gazebo for him to haul his sleeping accommodations under. The dark clouds stayed so I took off early right after some shots.

It's a real pretty part of the country, dry hills, canyons, winding rivers. If you ever get the chance it's well worth the effort.

My goal for that day was a black line I had seen on the map just west of the Brownlee dam along hwy #71. I forgot how twisty that hwy #71, starts off real nice, lots of curves, stuff you can really sink into. Then it gets down to 10 mile an hour corners or less. FUN. Just after the dam I saw a sign that pointed to "Homestead", I was hot and thought it would be a good time for a pit stop. Not a mile down the paved road.

but I was determined, and after what seemed like 1/2 and hour..Homestead.

I sure laughed. And man was it hot and dusty. But again the side track adventure paid off.

Sometimes the dirt is just as interesting as the asphalt.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

From there it was off to a black line down hwy #86.

They didn't say anything about no motorbikes...

Again, an unbelievable road and no pictures I have do it justice. Rivers, forests, winding roads that take you to the top of the world it seemed like. You crest the top and the view is spectacular.

North Pine road of hwy #86. It will take you right over top and down again bringing you eventually into Joseph and Enterprise. From there I wound my way left and right heading west. Thru barren forests

over stone mountain tops

this was the Anthony Lake Ski resort along non other than Anthony Lake hwy. Another must do road if you haven't already. Next is vast platues and roads that would make a West Coaster droll.

This went on for the rest of the day until I stopped in Heppner for the night.

I really found some great back roads that day, a real adventure.
                Rob
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Awesome scenery Rob!
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

loved the pics rob,thanks for posting.

Comment

And after the crash...

Azr came over to my place yesterday to have a few "pops" with me and my cousin. This is all he can handle now.

No signature :(

Comment

The bike may be small but it sure felt good to be back on the road and hitting it WOT. Anyways, finally getting a chance to finish up this thread. I tell you my stay in Heppner may have been the strangest but the road coming out was amazing, way more of a wake up than any cup of coffee that's for sure.

Hwy #207 was recommended by Sandy and I'm sure glad I took his advice. Corners, dry land, plateau's..nothing better first thing in the morning.

I travelled all the way down #207 till I hit the John Day Hwy then turned West up until Service Creek (if you ever get a chance to stop at Service Creek there is a fantastic restaurant/motel there, and that's all there is there), then south to hwy #26 and back east. A great day of back and forth with canyons, canyons, canyons. I had to take at least one shot at the John Day Meuseum, Lisa and I have this exact same picture from our trip last year but on the 78' 1000.

From there it was down to John Day City and down the #395 as I had seen another black lined road that would take me west. #63 is what google map calls it. Another amazing road, curves, plateau's, views and not a soul to be seen. The unfortunate part was the fact that had recently done miles of fresh tar and gravel and it was thick with loose gravel. It turned out fine though as I was able to enjoy the scenery more, in between watching the gravel of course. An amazing road that I will definitely take again. Along the way in the middle of no where yet another 'local' store, it also had a salon attached to it.

On wards to Prineville which most definately was the hottest ridding I had done yet. I took a great road #27, the "crooked river hwy" and man was it but holy cow did it get hot. Neither the bike or I was liking the heat so a pit stop was in order.

That road take you right onto the Prineville reservoir. Talk about bikini's and power boats. From there I saw some more local sites

That piece of property reminded me of Charlie's friend that hosted last years rally. A real eclectic mix of art.
                        Rob

Comment

From there it was down the #97, the first real boring hwy I had been on the whole trip, amazing really. I camped for the night just south of Cresent, at the Big Pines RV park. Set up the tent and headed back to town for cool pops. I stopped at the gas station on the way back and ran into the most interesting fella.

I saw the Washington plate and the helmeted guy in the station. Out he came, 72 years of age. Flew up to Seattle area from the California border to buy the bike, licensed it and has been riding it back in one day. As you can see it's dark and he lives somewhere around 30 miles from the California border. He has another Ducati that he is going to sell that this one will replace, has a 'ton' of carbon fiber parts to swap out on this one and ALSO has another Ducati that he track races he said he has no intention of sitting down and letting old age wash over him, he's fitting with every muscle he had. Then off he went. Yet another example of the 'moments' and people I've met. The next morning I met Charlie at the Union Creek Resort, just west of Crater lake and we took off with great plans riding and adventure. We made out way up the the #138, I had told Charlie there was 'another' black lined road that would take us from the #138 to the #95 as long as he didn't mind a bit of gravel at the end. Along the #138 I realized that is where I lost half of my master link on the way home from last years rally, I laughed as I passed the spot where I was stranded and felt glad to be riding the road on two wheels again. We turned North on Steamboat creek rd. and then onto Canyon Creek rd. It most definitely was a small road, a lane wide sort of thing, nothing but tight corners with little to no viability. A great place to wind the bike out in 2nd and 3rd I thought..dumb, dumb, dumb. Anyways the rest is history. Not sure how long it took the ambulance to get there but some local forestry crews came to the bikes rescue and straightened her up and took care of the bit of gas that had spilled. And I was sure glad I carried Tramadol in my med kit that's for sure. It's a long story that I'm sure I'll share over beers with some of you again but a great Sheriff helped Charlie to retrieve the bike and his Aunt put us up in Roseburg and the next day Charlie rode his bike and I drove mine up to Vince's in a Uhaul. A couple of days later me and the bike were back in Victoria thanks to Glenn and his truck. An amazing trip, full of adventure and mishaps but all in all things couldn't have turned out better. Can't wait till the next trip!
                          Last edited by azr; 08-11-2013, 01:24 PM.
                          Rob

Comment

Great pictures Rob. I'll have to keep a lookout for that Ducati. I don't get down to the south of my county much, but anything that isn't a crusier stands out.

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Rob. A couple of family members of mine (step-sister and a couple of step-brothers) live between Madras and Bend so I know that area well. Yes, it does get very hot.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X