Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ride Safe

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
    Cagers look right through us......... An everyday experience for most riders which has fascinated me for many years. I would like to share my homespun philosophy on the particular subject of cagers not seeing riders.
    Warning - I may have dreamed up all this stuff to stay sane.

What if it's actually true that cagers don't see us when they are looking right at us and it's not carelessness or disrespect?
    Reading research in the 70's it was reported that to cagers, motorcycles were the least conspicuous vehicles on freeways, however the most conspicuous were police motorcycles.
    At one point in the 80s Volvos pulling out in front of cycles in the UK got so bad you could buy aerosol cans of Volvo repellant for your bike. Most reckoned Volvo were too successful in their safety cage marketing and drivers felt invulnerable.
    My IT friends tell me that there is no way the brain processes all the data collected by the eye - the brain applies a need to know filter based on perceived threats or opportunities and perhaps cultural conditioning.
    It's famously said that if the human eye were an instrument it would be returned to it's maker for repair.
    My first flight instructor taught me the difference between looking into a space and seeing into it - sort of the optical equivalent of hearing and listening.
    We all know the stories about the sad lives of the immortal, the invisible and King Midas and how their powers ultimately lead to tragedy. Guess what. I think riders are actually invisible in some situations. When we say we're invisible what we really mean is that a cager person has had no respect or care for me and has chosen to treat me like a lower life form with no rights. Socially 'invisible' if you like. The truth could be a lot weirder than that.
    Depending on the demands on the brain at the time I believe a driver can look into a space , make eye contact with a rider on collision course, relegate the threat level to low and then their brain completely erases the rider and his or her machine. They never actually saw you and you don't exist.
    I don't think there is much point in getting mad at them for some perceived failing, lack of courtesy or respect. That will only reduce your survival chances.
    The way I look at it I have to deal with true invisibility and it's not the cagers fault. Makes us superheroes in a way
    Based on your assessment, I would sooner make myself invisible by getting as far away as possible from cagers. (It's not always possible but only in the moment)

Look at them as obstacles in the road instead of objects that think. Do their thinking for them...and when you can't, let them have the right of way.

It takes total concentration & commitment to operate a motorcycle safely. It takes even greater ability to manuever from point A to B with the courage/courtesy/wherewithal in making the right decisions. We're not perfect and neither are all operators on the road.

Your clincher leads me to to believe that WE riders need to balance confidence & cockiness--that is the challenge.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Too bad this cager cost the motorcyclist and the passenger (the passenger died later than when this story was posted) their lives,
      and the driver only suffered minor injuries. Stuff like this is just too frequent where I live.

See the story,

See the video, (I wonder if that's the cager 28 seconds into this video saying "I want to go home?" I think it is)

Second victim dies.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

I was too afraid to look.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
        1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
          Based on your assessment,

I would sooner make myself invisible by getting as far away as possible from cagers. (It's not always possible but only in the moment)

Look at them as obstacles in the road instead of objects that think. Do their thinking for them...and when you can't, let them have the right of way.
          I completely agree with that! They are all bullets looking for a place to impact. Stay as far away from them as possible, and do all the thinking because they don't do any. Ride with zero trust of anyone else on the road.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

^^Thanks Earl.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              I completely agree with that! They are all bullets looking for a place to impact. Stay as far away from them as possible, and do all the thinking because they don't do any. Ride with zero trust of anyone else on the road.
              Many moons ago I was rolling up to a stale red light outside three lanes of cages. I knew the sequence well and hit the line at speed (silly I know) as the light changed to green only to see a police bike stopped on the inside lane. Well he chased after me and caught up and flipped the visor with a kinda what was that move about wave of his arm. Well, with another wave of my arm, I told him, all serious like, that cages are dangerous and you have to get away from them as fast as ever you can or they'll kill you . He sort of laughed and we rode on together the next mile or so in the middle lane chatting away as police patrolmen and their buddies do, waving our arms and pointing at stuff. Meanwhile there are three lanes of cagers behind us driving so careful it's like it's test day.They is no chance whatsoever that our bikes are invisible. Even after he turned off I stuck to the limit for the next four miles or so just to see all them cages in a line behind me scared to overtake. Some days the sun really shines.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                They are not looking for empty road for a certain distance. They just point their face in that direction and without much analysis just somehow decide to go or to wait without a lot of thought involved.

Which is why I have learned to look at driver some, but more watch the front wheel. That will give first indication of movement and acceleration and direction. Sometimes at night, can not see driver anyway, but maybe can see light of the brake light going off.

Another way to say the above: They are not looking for empty clear road, but just if they don't see a car or truck, they may pull out. And this may include if something is blocking their view (like a car turning, or a pole or sign blocking view of your bike for half a second), they don't see a car or truck, so pull out.
                So if I lost sight of them for half a second by a pole or sign or bush or car turning, I know they didn't see me for that time either.

Other thing I look for: If a car is stopped and looks like they are infact stopped and waiting, I think "are they stopped and waiting for me, or are they stopped and waiting for something else, such as; that other car coming from other direction, and are they going to pull out right after that other car". SO watch them more critically at that point after that other car goes by.

That's a remarkably good analysis, I will absolutely share this with others.

Comment

Working...
                X