My trip to Maryland to meet a fellow GSR member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My trip to Maryland to meet a fellow GSR member

This weekend I took a trip to Maryland to meet a GSR member "Cheryl" Perhaps one of the most prettiest memberes we have. She is a very nice young lady. She rides a cool little GS450L. I left my house at about 6:30am 47deg. Saturday morning. I arrived at Serverna Park Md. Around noon 78deg. So we planned a ride to Kent Narrows to get some Chesapeake Bay Crabs. Well to get there you have to go over the Bay Bridge (a very high, long, two lane bridge) Cheryl said she is nervous about riding her bike over the bridge but will give it a try. I tell her if she doesn't want to do it to pull off the exit before the bridge. Well, we pull off before the bridge. We decide to take her bike back to her place and we'll take my bike with her riding passenger. So we take off for the bridge I ask her if she is nervous. "No I'm fine now" I say "I'm nervous" she said "What!"Haha just kidding. We had a great dinner of Crabs a couple of beers then met her friends at Owls Tiki bar. What a fun time we had. As the gentleman that I am she allows me to crash out on her couch to save me a $120 hotel room. Sunday morning after a good breakfast I left to go home. This just proves once again "You meet the nicest people on GS Resource" ... Norm
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Cool, sounds like it was a fun weekend.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
      This weekend I took a trip to Maryland to meet a GSR member "Cheryl" Perhaps one of the most prettiest memberes we have.
      Pictures, ... or it didn't happen.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Pictures, ... or it didn't happen.

Hahaha! No pics of me please, he is just being nice. It was great meeting Norm, we had a blast, and I taught him how to pick crabs.

He failed to mention that I also dropped/fell off the bike causing a big scene. As I lay on asphalt, he yells "oh ****" and proceeded to pick up my bike as I'm still face planted, lol. Sounds worse than I make it seem, lol, there were people helping me up, I'm glad he picked up my bike. All is good, it made for a good story the rest of the day and were able to laugh about the situation/aftermath.

We definitely need to hang out again soon, and I'd love to meet other GSR members.

Last edited by Cheryl; 09-08-2013, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Great story! Yeah, I've done the Bay Bridge plenty of times going to BWI in my SUV. It's pretty scary in a car...would imagine it's intimidating on a motorcycle.

I'll stay on this side of the Chesapeake and enjoy the blue crab in Rehoboth. But I would consider putting my bike on a trailer and drive over; even though it would cost more to pay at the toll.

Sorry to hear you dropped your bike Cheryl. At least you had a gentleman at your side.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Glad to see you guys and gals getting together... ever since our inaugural get together in February last year, us locals get together once a quarter now for a decent day's riding, although the Katana Australia guys are outnumbering the GSR folk lately... mind you a lot of us are on both forums anyway
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

When I was still in MI., we rode across the Big Mac all the time. I always rode on the grating so I could look the 150Ft down to the water. The thing with grating is to not fight its making the front end "wander". The bike isn't gonna slide out from under you or tear the bars outm of your hands..its just gonna feel a little squiggly. Relax and just flow with it.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I have found that if your tires (the front one, especially) do not have a groove that goes around the center, they will not tend to wander on steel grates and "milled" highway surfaces.

My first time on "Big Mac" was on my Wing. Had not had it all that long, but felt comfortable enough on it to set the cruise control, grab the camera and shoot this video through the grate, as Chuck mentioned.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                  Great story! Yeah, I've done the Bay Bridge plenty of times going to BWI in my SUV. It's pretty scary in a car...would imagine it's intimidating on a motorcycle.

I'll stay on this side of the Chesapeake and enjoy the blue crab in Rehoboth. But I would consider putting my bike on a trailer and drive over; even though it would cost more to pay at the toll.

Sorry to hear you dropped your bike Cheryl. At least you had a gentleman at your side.

Ed
                  Will you be going to Ocean City bike week starting this weekend? You should join Norm and I for a ride sometime, didn't know you lived that close to me. I have a place over in O.C.

Comment

Tri State Area

Originally posted by Cheryl View Post
                    Will you be going to Ocean City bike week starting this weekend? You should join Norm and I for a ride sometime, didn't know you lived that close to me. I have a place over in O.C.
                    I wasn't planning on going (to bike week) since I have another engagement but it doesn't mean we can't meet up. Got alot going on with me right now and I haven't made time to ride much.

Thanks for the invite with you and Norm...I will keep that in mind.

Ed

EDIT: I might be able to attend Bike Week after all...
                    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 09-10-2013, 06:50 PM.
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

There is very little traction on a metal grate bridge.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I have found that if your tires (the front one, especially) do not have a groove that goes around the center, they will not tend to wander on steel grates and "milled" highway surfaces.
                        +1 on that! Having a center line, fore and aft tread groove or any straight front to back tread groove in the contact patch area makes handling wobbly on a bridge grate. Tread patterns that diverge from the center line at a 45 deg angle have almost no response to grated bridges.
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                          Tread patterns that diverge from the center line at a 45 deg angle have almost no response to grated bridges.
                          That is why my Wing was so stable on the bridge.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                          X