Slightly strange (or Fun with Police)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slightly strange (or Fun with Police)

The early '80's, and my pal and I were riding in Queens, NYC. He's on his '75 CB750, I'm on my '73 KAW Z1 (sorry, no Suzi's). Both bikes had 4-into-1 pipes, and I was groovin' on the beautiful music we were making. I love the sound of a couple of big air-cooled fours with pipes riding side-by-side.

We were both showing a lot of restraint, as Union Turnpike, the road we were on, is straight and flat and was freshly repaved. (Two lanes plus parking lane in each direction, concrete center divider.) The speed limit is 30 mph, and we were doing no more than 35. I was wondering which one of us would be the first to cut loose. I was about to do so myself when an odd sight presented itself.

On the sidewalk to our right stood a boy of about ten. He did not look happy. In fact, he looked as if he were being forced to do something he did not want to do. He was holding out a tennis racket. A sign was taped to the face of the racket with two hand-lettered words: "POLICE AHEAD". I felt like 'Clean' from Apocalypse Now: "This is sure enough a bizarre sight."

Sure enough, on the next block an unmarked Highway Patrol car sat idling in a driveway. It's radar gun, mounted outside the back door window, was in plain sight. My buddy and I looked at each other and continued droning on at 30 mph.

We've all heard of flashing your lights to warn oncoming traffic of a speed trap, but this was...slightly strange. In any case, it's always fun to get safely by a radar trap, particularly when you're on a large four cylinder motorcycle.

1982 GS1100e red, stock except exhaust
    Last edited by Rob S.; 01-05-2014, 03:03 PM.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Good story, people do good things sometimes.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Great story. I wonder what the kid had done to earn that duty.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

You should have gone back and flipped the kid a five.

Comment

I wonder where he is now, and what he remembers of it.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Well, most kids I pass by dig cycles and often wave...that is a step beyond though...and cool.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

That kid, not too long before he warned you of the speed trap, might have been horsing around in the car that his dad was driving. Such distractions may cause a dad to be looking at the kid and not the road up ahead.......

Comment

Working...
              X