Edge of the Seat Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edge of the Seat Ride

Finally took delivery of my new to me GS650L from the bike shop yesterday. Just so happens a cold front just passes through during this time. I was fighting 30mph winds and it was all I could do to hold on to the grips.

That probably has more to do with the shape of the handlebars.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Now, that wasn't nice.

Comment

No, but it was true.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Strangest sensation I ever had on the bike was similar...A strong front came thru, with 50 plus mph winds. With the wind at my back, my jacket went still, and I had no wind blowing on me, as if I was riding in vacuum. Complete stillness, as I rode at the same speed as the wind.
          The ride back was a biatch though.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            That probably has more to do with the shape of the handlebars.
            What a prick.

Yeah, if you are not used to the weather, it can be a bit of a shock. You are fortunate that you do not have to deal with -20F weather.

Comment

I can handle almost any amount of rain, it's the high wind gusts is when I pull over...
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

There are a few simple facts of life. Taxes are due April 15th, this Monday is Presidents Day, and tkent hates L bars (and seats)....and if they are brought up (or even if they are not) he is still gonna hate on them. Haha

Comment

Not all Ls have L handlebars and when they do, any sensible person changes them immediately.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Nice looking bike...and yes, I have changed the bars on mine!

Comment

Which bars?

Originally posted by eil View Post
                      Not all Ls have L handlebars and when they do, any sensible person changes them immediately.
                      Hey Charles, did your bike come with L bars? What have you got on there now? I'm looking for suggestions for mine. Apologies to the OP for hijacking this thread, but he might like some suggestions too.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Wind and motorbikes.
                        My GS is not to bad in the wind.
                        My SecaII with faring though.
                        The sensation of going forward in a straight line but having to lean the bike over around halfway leaning into the wind to hold that straight line can be very tiring.
                        Cold front in Florida you say?
                        Pa. yesterday.

Comment

Congrats on the new addition. I watched your video and that is one nice bike. Very clean. The previous owner must have taken really good care of it. I don't think there has been any chrome things replaced though. If you keep these bikes out of the weather (as in not letting them sit outside over the winter) and just keep them clean, the chrome will last a long time.

I once rode from Albuquerque to Colorado Springs (to go up Pike's Peak) and hit a strong wind that kept me leaning the bike over for like a 100 miles so I know what you're talking about.

I see you're in Oldsmar. I grew up in the Tampa Bay area. Lived in Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater and Dunedin the first half of my life. Still have friends and family in that area. Wish I had what you call a cold spell here in TN. We had 7 inches of snow last Thursday!

Anyway, enjoy the bike. Don't be afraid to use the this forum as there is LOTS of good info and people here. This site has saved me several times with bike issues.

Now get out there and ride!
                          sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
                          1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
                          1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
                          1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
                          1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
                          1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
                          1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
                          1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02
                            In this case it's not my hatred of Ls, its the fact that the handlebars are not designed to control a motorcycle. Nevermind the fact that they are uncomfortable, they simply do not work very well. The leverage isn't in the right direction. You get in a condition like riding in wind that actually takes some input to the bars and you will have a hard time of it.
                            This is after all, the original reason for my hatred of Ls.
                            Perhaps I should sugar coat my message, but even if you shoot the messenger it's still true.
                            Perhaps but Nope, you're just a prick! "But even if you shoot the messenger....it's still true".

Comment

Congrats on the L!

Comment

Working...
                              X