Baffling behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baffling behavior

I took my co-pilot out today and we had a fantastickal ride. Sunny and 60, and I just love that we can go through miles and miles of scenic, sweeping, twisty country roads without ever actually being more than a half hour's drive away from the house.

But anyway, yeah there were a few 'boy racers' out and about... We picked up a tail at one point while we were behind a couple of cages frittering away at the speed limit. I know, how rude, right?? Anyway we come up to a 'T', and we're all turning left apparently. Car 1 goes. Car 2 goes. I go. As I go, Tail takes it upon hisself to shoot past me on the inside, noodging in behind car 2. I'm there riding behind him, wondering WTF that dumb stunt was supposed to prove. It wasn't really what I'd call dangerous, but on the other hand it seemed completely pointless. Or am I missing something? Ah ah, I know what yer thinking, no it wasn't a shoddily accoutered youth on a crotch rocket. Nor a he-manly herculoid hunkering on a hog. Just some dood on a Sprint ST.
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Sometimes you just can't help it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Baffling?

And I thought we were going to talk about exhaust noise!
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
        I took my co-pilot out today and we had a fantastickal ride. Sunny and 60, and I just love that we can go through miles and miles of scenic, sweeping, twisty country roads without ever actually being more than a half hour's drive away from the house.

But anyway, yeah there were a few 'boy racers' out and about... We picked up a tail at one point while we were behind a couple of cages frittering away at the speed limit. I know, how rude, right?? Anyway we come up to a 'T', and we're all turning left apparently. Car 1 goes. Car 2 goes. I go. As I go, Tail takes it upon hisself to shoot past me on the inside, noodging in behind car 2. I'm there riding behind him, wondering WTF that dumb stunt was supposed to prove. It wasn't really what I'd call dangerous, but on the other hand it seemed completely pointless. Or am I missing something? Ah ah, I know what yer thinking, no it wasn't a shoddily accoutered youth on a crotch rocket. Nor a he-manly herculoid hunkering on a hog. Just some dood on a Sprint ST.
        Similar thing happened when out with two pals the other day, guy came past on a pocket rocket (no biggy to me but we weren't hanging around either) I was at the back but what I didn't see was the way when he came past my pal who was in front, he just cut back in right in front of him, well that did pee my pal off who then preceded in hot pursuit and got passed him, in a similar fashion, not saying I agree with my pals actions but, it just shows how folk can react when people show little respect to others on the rode.

Comment

A lot of the time, a sharp or even a hairpin corner is the safest place to pass. Talking about left turns for us right side drivers, would be a right turn for those so afflicted. The passee is at his slowest, he can't cut in to block you, you are done in a half a second with zero risk to anyone else. Usually the vision forward is unimpaired. As long as you can see that the lane ahead is clear and there are no driveways or pedestrians or anything, go for it.

Cutting in sharply in front of your buddy or anyone else is just stupid.

Comment

Just toss him a muffin and call it a day.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              A lot of the time, a sharp or even a hairpin corner is the safest place to pass. Talking about left turns for us right side drivers, would be a right turn for those so afflicted. The passee is at his slowest, he can't cut in to block you, you are done in a half a second with zero risk to anyone else. Usually the vision forward is unimpaired. As long as you can see that the lane ahead is clear and there are no driveways or pedestrians or anything, go for it.

Cutting in sharply in front of your buddy or anyone else is just stupid.
              Yeah I get that, it would have made sense if I'd been the only one in front of him, but he wasn't really any better off after having done that. I just shrugged and took my turn off about an eighth mile up the road. Didn't see another car or bike for quite a while.
              "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Road trolls abound. Same thing happened to me on a hairpin out near Tortilla Flat a month ago when an asshat on a Fat Boy decided to clip the turn to ... get a better view of the boat being towed by an Excursion. It's all double yellow, so it was simple idiocy. He stayed there the rest of the way into TF, where I made a point of asking him if his derring do afforded a better view. He had no idea what I was talking about, so I'll chalk it up to stupidity.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Reminds me of the scene in Pushing Tin, where Billy Bob makes a left hander on the Triumph in front of Cusack. Makes me laugh every time I watch it.
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Adrenaline / newer bike / macho BS - take your pick. It's the time of year when the rocket jockeys are waking up from their hibernation, pulling on their fitted-leather suits and dusting the cobwebs off their hobby toys. Pity that it takes more than a few miles to re-gain their common sense (if they had any).
                    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I'm right there with you guys. I live 10 miles south of Ft Campbell, so the first time it's at least 65 and sunny, I'm surrounded by 20 to 25 year olds in tank tops and shorts on brand new liter bikes. I call them 'statistics'. If I'm not dealing with them, I'm putting up with all the big bad HOGs rolling around. I've had groups of them come up behind me trying to be all intimidating with their great big showroom queens thumping behind me. The best part is when I goose it in third and leave them sucking on hydrocarbons.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthTAiness View Post
                        The best part is when I goose it in third and leave them sucking on hydrocarbons.
                        They like the hydrocarbons, it's the reason they ride in tight parades of hundreds.

Comment

They like the hydrocarbons, it's the reason they ride in tight parades of hundreds.
                          Really? I always assumed that they had already
                          gotten their fix and that's what caused a $22k motorcycle to seem like a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthTAiness View Post
                            Really? I always assumed that they had already
                            gotten their fix and that's what caused a $22k motorcycle to seem like a good idea.
                            A $22k motorcycle only makes sense if you haven't figured out a $1200 motorcyce is faster, more reliable, and more fun.

Comment

A $22k motorcycle only makes sense if you haven't figured out a $1200 motorcyce is faster, more reliable, and more fun.
                              1200? I payed 275!

Comment

Working...
                              X