No announcement yet.

Is this a sign I am riding too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After over 4 decades of riding, I no longer trust my mirrors. i always look in the lane I wish to merge with. Just common sense.
    I admit, there have been multiple times where I have ridden an obscene amount of miles just to attend a GSR rally. If have not yet done so, I encourage you to do so. Lots of fun before, during, and after the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      After over 4 decades of riding, I no longer trust my mirrors. i always look in the lane I wish to merge with. Just common sense.
      I admit, there have been multiple times where I have ridden an obscene amount of miles just to attend a GSR rally. If have not yet done so, I encourage you to do so. Lots of fun before, during, and after the ride.
      Like you, I want to KNOW what is around me, and I try to keep an image of what is behind or beside me all the time.

That requires very frequent looks in the mirrors, and noting any changes in the traffic, but it is always best to also do a direct check by turning your head.
      Even though I learned to be quite fussy about the position and angle of mirrors, on most vehicles there will always be a blind spot.

This habit was well-ingrained long before I got a licence to drive motorized vehicles, ( I went everywhere on a bicycle) and is used no matter what vehicle in am in or on..
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        After over 4 decades of riding, I no longer trust my mirrors.
        To quote Mr. Spock:

"In fact, I do trust you. But only to a point."

Before changing lanes, I check mirror, swivel head, check mirror, swivel head. Sometimes three or four times.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Ok, yesterday afternoon I took my mountain bike for a ride, it had been a while since I had ridden my bicycle. About 2 minutes into the ride, I was coasting down the sidewalk and there were some garbage cans in my way, so I was planning to jump off the sidewalk, to the street and keep cruisin! Well the first thing I did was to try and twist my right hand for more power? There was none! My bicycle does not have a throttle! I LOL and pumped my legs and kept cruising on my way.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            To quote Mr. Spock:

"In fact, I do trust you. But only to a point."

Before changing lanes, I check mirror, swivel head, check mirror, swivel head. Sometimes three or four times.
            Don't you get dizzy? Not able to swivel my head (only 3-4 degrees either way), all my upper cervical vertebra are fused together. So I'm limited to my mirrors and peripheral vision.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Common with me too! Obviously I DRIVE too much as well! There's times when I sit on the couch to watch TV and I think I should be putting a seatbelt on!
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by Willmrx View Post
                Ok, yesterday afternoon I took my mountain bike for a ride, it had been a while since I had ridden my bicycle. About 2 minutes into the ride, I was coasting down the sidewalk and there were some garbage cans in my way, so I was planning to jump off the sidewalk, to the street and keep cruisin! Well the first thing I did was to try and twist my right hand for more power? There was none! My bicycle does not have a throttle! I LOL and pumped my legs and kept cruising on my way.
                I catch myself doing the same in the car - twisting my right hand on the steering wheel.
                85 1150E

Comment

Some times after I've been on the bike quite a lot, when I get back in my truck and have to hit the brakes hard because someone else did something stupid in front of me, my left foot hits the floor as if I'm down shifting...funny.
                  sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
                  1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
                  1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
                  1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
                  1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
                  1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
                  1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
                  1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

After multiple days of riding my bike, I was driving my truck, when the first motorcycle I passed, my left hand smashed in to my window trying to wave to the the guy on the bike. It made me laugh!
                    I do this all the time but never thought of it as unusual behavior. I think you are perfectly normal.

One reason I do this though is to let them know I am a fellow rider and they are safe with me. There is a stretch of I-13 that people just drive like morons on and so I try and communicate with riders so they will ride close to me and I use my car as a buffer for them. I only would only hope others are watching for me the same.

Comment

Been there

Done that. LOL It`s even funnier when wifey and I are together in the cage and she does it.
                      Mike
                      After multiple days of riding my bike, I was driving my truck, when the first motorcycle I passed, my left hand smashed in to my window trying to wave to the the guy on the bike. It made me laugh!
                      sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
                      1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

Working...
                      X