You almost made it he said.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You almost made it he said.

As he came running up to help me pick up my bike.

The day started pretty lazy, woke early and attempted to make coffee but my stove wouldn't stay lit and work properly. No matter Sandy rescued us with his trick coffee making mug. A slow pack down and load up, conversation and goodbyes as the riders of the PNW rally took their leave. With only three bikes left and the sun starting to warm the world, Charlie and I said goodbye to Wallowgreen and his beautiful lady wife and hit the road.

I rode with Charlie to Redmond where we parted ways, him continuing south on 97 and I turning west on 123 heading to 20 out of Sisters and connecting to 22 and headed towards Salem. Traffic was average for a nice day on a country road and was moving along between 65 and 70. I hang back around 10 or so car spaces at least for that reaction time needed on two wheels.

The traffic slowed to around 20 while going around a right hand bend which turned left following the river. My spacing is now 3-4 car lengths from the car that I was following and I was slowing further. There was an accident with a Hog rider crashing and being sent to the hospital and leaving the rescue of his bike to his lady. Of course we didn't know it at the time.

I glanced down to check my mirrors and when I looked back the car in front of me had stopped, The highway patrolman said that she was rubbernecking when she stopped, I am now down to 3 car lengths or less and by the time I reacted and got the binders clamped down I am down to two or less. Oh POO, the last thing I want to do is rear-end this dizzy blond, I am stopping, but am I stopping fast enough...it is going to be close...I push harder on the breaks and I guess I pushed too hard on the rear break for it started coming around to the right, I am about 5 feet from her rear bumper, 4 feet, 3 feet, 2 feet, I might make it...no I won't 1 foot off her bumper and the bike is starting to do the old heave ho for a high side throw.

Now I don't want to be heaved into her rear window so I dropped my bod down on the left side and the bike followed onto the Samsonite luggage and Hannigan fairing. Luck for me the gal driving the car decided to drive on as I was deposited down on the road and Scruffy slid for a couple feet.

You almost made it as the rescue worker came running up.........Yes it was close and the only real damage is to the luggage and fairing, all of it fairly easy to fix, I do have a 50 cent piece sized raspberry on my left elbow. I was asked if I was all right over a dozen times in the next few minuets and I just pointed to the gear and said "yes, that's why I wear all this gear" The hog rider was in T shirt and shorts with one of those micro caps they like so much, the patrolman told me when I asked what kind of gear the other rider was wearing. "He crashed, pointing at the hog laying on it's side, "you didn't" he said.

In 54 years of riding that is my first git off in traffic, it can happen fast. Stay safe and wear all the gear.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

I hate nosey rubbernecking **$""%s.

Good to hear you got up again, safe and well.
    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Saw the post on the PNW thread, glad you set the record straight with a full account and soooo glad the get off was no worse. Happy to know you're still in good health, had me worried for a bit Vince!
      It's smoke that make electronic components work.
      Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
      '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
      '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
      '82 GS1000SZ
      '82 GS1100GL
      '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

I saw that accident also, but traffic only slowed to 30 or so

Glad you're only "scruffed up"!

Did the HD rider forget what he was doing and ran wide? That was just a curve in the road
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The raspberry is only the size of a dime so I fared well, my jacket has a scuff mark on the forearm besides a few scratches on my helmet.

The HP didn't say how he wrecked, just that he "Wrecked" it took a half dozen guys to get the hog onto the trailer, they were just getting it out of the bank when all this happened. More embarrassing than anything else, and now I know where to make some skid plates for the Hannigan, should something like this happen again, and I see a couple loops in the rear, in front of the bags. The fairing and bags kept me from serious injury when the bike flopped down, now I have to fix that mount.

V
          Gustov
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          80 GS 550 L
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Glad you faired so well Vince, yikes...scary stuff. Doesn't sound like the bikes 'too' bad.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I am so glad I am a super dork and wear my gear. Thanx for the confirmation

Comment

Yikes. Glad you're ok. When one can contemplate bike repair after a crash, and not personal injury, its a "good" crash.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Glad your not hurt! You need sliders for that faring and luggage.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story, glad you're (mostly) unscathed.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Yes, thanks for sharing and so glad you got away as good as you did. Could have been so much worse.
                      Good on you for wearing the proper gear.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Glad you walked away! That's a good day after all
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yes fellows, most of the damage is to the ego.

V
                          Gustov
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          80 GS 550 L
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                            Yes fellows, most of the damage is to the ego.
                            Yeah, doesn't it suck when people are helping you, and ask, did you get the plate number? And you have to say, "It was my fault." I hate when that happens.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                            X