Suzuki XN85 Turbo (GS650 with turbo?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki XN85 Turbo (GS650 with turbo?)

Here's some details on the Suzuki XN85 turbo found on a Canadian BBS (bulletin board Service) from the 1990's:

I've been reading a lot about turbo motorcycles again lately and I keep seeing the Honda CX500 & 650, Yamaha Seca 650 and Kawasaki 750 Turbo but almost nothing on the Suzuki 650 Turbo so I decided to tell what I know after trying to buy one in 1988. I knew they were not big sellers but I was hoping to find a new old stock bike much like leftover Honda CBX bikes that didn't sell and was on showroom floors till years after. Even finding a used one would have been a big score both from a dealer or privately. They just don't show up for sale used. I had a long chat about the XN85 from a dealer who told me what he knew and as a consolation prize for not finding one, gave me a large dealer XN85 poster, a brochure on the design and technical features on the XN85 and a framed dealer 8 1/2" glossy photo of the bike. I thanked him for my new treasures and hoped one day I would find a used XN85, even if I had to check the classified section in the newspapers and motorcycle magazines every weekend.

This is what I was told when I spoke with a large Suzuki Dealer in Ontario, Canada around the fall of 1988 after trying to find a used or new old stock XN85 turbo. The owner or manager was very knowledgable on the XN85 and said that they didn't sell well because of the high price for a 650, expensive insurance rates compared to other bikes and customers worried about the turbo/EFI giving trouble. He went on to say that Suzuki recalled some of the bikes to send back to Japan. When he asked why, he was told they would be taken out of stock. The manager took this to mean destroyed. When I ask if he knew how many were brought into north america he said the details he had heard from other dealers was that the United states received 305 bikes with 9 Cut away display engines also sent as technological show pieces. He said Canada received 29 Bikes, 2 Cutaway engine displays, an early prototype bike that originally had a full chain guard but was removed from the bike for some reason when put on display and 4 early serial number bikes (less than serial number 20) for display only while the standard production models were on there way from Japan. The bikes came with instructions to return them after the standard production models arrived. Some of the early serial number bikes had Turbo emblems on the muffler that were removed from the pre-production bikes to make them look more like the production bikes.

The early serial numbered bikes were later returned to Japan but he's not sure why. He also heard that at least one of the early serial numbered bikes was sold by mistake and at least that one did not return to Japan. I also heard that the bike's with serial numbers under 50 were a kind of pre-production bike to test production line, checking quality, make minor improvements, etc and from around serial number 50 and up were the real production versions to be sold to the public. The early serial number models was the first to enter Canada with the cut away engines to be send to various dealers while the other 29 bikes were on it's way. Out of the 305 US bikes and 29 Canadian bikes, some of the unsold bikes were recalled to Japan (to be sent to other locations or destroyed?) Out of the 305 US bikes it's believed only around 150 were sold and of the 29 Canadian bikes, only 20 was sold. It's possible that over the years some of the Canadian bikes went over to the US and vise versa in the used market. He told me he knew many details on the bike because at first it was looking like the future of Motorcycles with more power, more engine efficiency and less weight. The Suzuki XN85 was the talk of the town between dealers and drew a lot of interest to the showroom but unfortunately very few buyers. He also said the XN85 bikes original had more power and a bigger turbo kick but after intensive testing, the factory decided it was best to detune it to give a smoother off/on boost and focused more on handling improvements just weeks before the press had a chance to test it on a Japanese test track. That's why the XN85 don't have the doctor jekyll and mr hyde personalities of the other 3 factory turbo bikes.

The manager explained that the XN85 Turbo was considered by Suzuki a test platform that was Suzuki's first EFI motorcycle and employed an early form of oil cooling that was later refined and improved for the state of the Art GSX-R750 oil cooled motorcycle. It also has styling cues taken from the original Katana designed by Hans Muth, a race inspired 16" front wheel, clip-ons handle bars and a mono shock rear suspension. Suzuki was going to closely monitor owners of the XN85 for real world reliability and customer satisfaction. It was possible that this was the first of several Turbocharged models they would release in the future. That's part of the reason Suzuki recalled all the unsold bikes in Canada and USA (being a limited production test platform) that just didn't sell. He believed Suzuki wanted to cut its losses with this designed as a public model and distance itself from its sales failure. The XN85 was a solid reliable bike that was the best handling bike they made at the time, it just didn't sell. It may have been cheaper to take unsold bikes off the market then to continue to try and sell a new complicated design at bargain basement prices that may come back as customer headaches. Approximately 1100 bikes were produced worldwide and one realistic estimate of the bikes titled and sold, totaled around 600 units. The serial numbers of the bikes sent to dealers were usually not sequential so two bikes shipped together could be a few hundred numbers apart. Suzuki dealers from other countries have also reported sending back unsold XN85’s to Japan as complete bikes or the steering column cut and engine side case removed from the bike with the serial numbers on them. Sadly, a non-turbo Suzuki GS750ES released about the same time as the XN85 was quicker, cost less, a lighter design and didn't have the owners worried over the EFI or Turbo giving problems. Suzuki seems to go out of their way to erase the bike from the public's mind by secretly recalling unsold bikes and little or no mention of the bike in Suzuki's dealerships or literature. As time goes on, it's very unlikely that many of these bikes will show up for sale except for the few private collectors or museums that already own them. Some people call bikes like the Honda CBX or the Kawasaki Eddy Lawson Replica rare but I don't know of any factory production motorcycle that is as rare or scarce as the XN85 and likely to sky rocket in price in the next 10 to 20 years. It looks like it will be extremely hard to find a chance to own a bike that was ahead of it's time in technology and that most people don't even know exist.

Rocket Dave
    Last edited by Guest; 11-06-2015, 09:33 AM.

there were a couple of these on ON kijiji a while back

Comment

I'd rather have the CBx or the ELR Kawi. I had a GPz 750 Turbo, and that was a beast, especially after rebuilding it. The XN85 was a sheep in wolf's clothing.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

OMG some loon has one on sale now in Kanata for 12 500 a true nutjob

Comment

Only 20 sold in Canada. Amazing.
          Suzuki GS550; Kawasaki H-1E, GPz900; Honda MT250, CB400F, CB550, GL500, CBR929.

Comment

The Suzuki turbo must be one of the most misunderstood motorcycles of all time, you either love it or hate it. Just like the Katana that it shared some styling and colors from. Unlike the other turbo motorcycles, this one was designed with handling as it's priority. It's 1/4 mile times didn't impress but it had lots of roll on power (open the throttle at 60 MPH with the RPM up and it stayed with the 1100's). I remember seeing one on a dealer's showroom floor and he said that the bike was a display model but some were on the way from Japan. Shortly after that, the display model disappeared and I never did see any more show up on the floor. Supposedly the Suzuki Turbo was made in such small numbers that most of the bike was hand assembled instead of the usual automation assembly line or automation assist. The Turbo was one of the most expensive Suzuki motorcycles they sold at the time, even more expensive than the GS1100 Katana.

Mr Turbo made a system that worked on GS1000 and GS1100 bikes in the 1980's that made some real power. It wasn't that expensive and drag bikes used them for an advantage over normally aspirated motorcycles. Too bad Suzuki didn't do what Kawasaki did in the late seventies with the Z1R Turbo. Kawasaki dealers sold a modified version of the Z1R that made around 130 hp in 1978 or 1979. Think of a GS1100 or even a GS1150 Turbo sold at Suzuki dealers making 150 hp. We can all dream. I think Suzuki had a prototype of a 600cc turbo at the Tokyo Motor Show just a year back but I don't know if they will put it into production. What would be your dream Suzuki with a Turbocharger bolted on?

Comment

Here's a link to the NEW Suzuki Turbo 600.

New patent drawings show elements that would only be included if Suzuki is going to actually build the Recursion. Will we see a production turbo model?

recursion-top.jpg

Comment

I have 2 friends that have them - one's just about perfect and one's a project

If you ever want to get rid of your XN 85 stuff, let me know
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That's one fine bike. It looks brand new. I see a blue ribbon award on the gas tank. What award did it win?

Comment

Blue ribbons at that event are basically "cool bike" awards

You can see his TS 400 has one, as does the triple next to it

He was mad he didn't win 1st place
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      Blue ribbons at that event are basically "cool bike" awards

You can see his TS 400 has one, as does the triple next to it

He was mad he didn't win 1st place
                      Tell Dave it's probably because of the ugly white chain wax.
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                      https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Well, you can be sure that it is the finest chain lube available and it's on there to preserve that chain forever, since the bike may never get ridden again
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Seeing what they can do with turbos and superchargers nowadays, They could make some very interesting stuff if they choose to. I really wish the "Jetson's" look would go away in modern bikes.
                          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

What is a Suzuki XN85 Turbo doing at the Honda Collection Hall in Japan, a transport museum housing a collection of Honda Motorcycles that's owned by Honda? You can watch the youtube video called "1983 Suzuki XN85 Turbo". They have a 0 mile example on display. I find it strange they would have a motorcycle on display from another manufacturer. It's sitting right next to a Honda turbo but I don't see any examples of the Yamaha or Kawasaki Turbo in case they had it for comparison of the 4 factory turbo bikes

673cc, 4-stroke, transverse 4-cylinder, air-cooled, DOHC, 2 valve per cylinder, IHI turbocharger以前にスズキ歴史館でも撮影染ましたが、Honda Collection Halの企画展で他メーカーですが、新たな世界を切り...

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                              Seeing what they can do with turbos and superchargers nowadays, They could make some very interesting stuff if they choose to. I really wish the "Jetson's" look would go away in modern bikes.
                              How about a 2015 Suzuki Recursion Prototype Bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVv0PDdPYaYI know this is a Suzuki GS forum but what about the Kawasaki H2 & H2r Supercharged bikes. The first supercharged production motorcycle. Do you think Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha will follow with similar bikes.

Finally the waiting is over! After all the hype, Bike World gets to ride Kawasaki's Supercharged H2 & H2r in Qatar. Crank it up and feel it! Check out our ...

Turbocharged vs. Supercharged. What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                              X