Another 850G xcountry success story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 850G xcountry success story

I just heard from the young guy who bought my '82 850G a few months ago to take on a cross country journey. He made it from NH to California by way of parts of Canada without any problems. Only had 21k when I sold it to him. Poor man's BMW!

That's awesome! That GS850 was really nice.
    Jedz Moto
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2002 Honda Reflex 250
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
    2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
    Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

If you want to cross the country on a $600 dollar bike, and you don't want the bike to provide the drama, a GS850 is the bike. Better than any airhead BMW, for sure.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I sold it for a little more than $600 but it was still half the price of any reasonably priced older BMW on CL. In fact I put the word BMW in my ad and the caught the buyer's eye. He was intent on looking for a good used BMW for the trip because his xcountry riding partner had a beemer. Ironically he had no problems while the other guy's BMW had ignition issues that held them up! He even got more interest from lookers with the 850G on the trip than the BMW guy. I've owned 3 BMW bikes and now 3 850G bikes and for the $ I'd take the Suzuki on a long trip if I get the resolve someday to do. In the meantime I'll enjoy the GSes on my 400-600 mile multi day jaunts.

Comment

I just became the proud owner of a 1980 GS850G a couple of months ago. First bike and have only been riding for 3 months but I just got back from a 1400 mile trip to Colorado and up Pikes Peak. No problems whatsoever. It kept up with my riding buddies bikes which were much newer. Got a complement from one of them, and lots of compliments from other people. Its been a great old bike!

Comment

Welcome to the site, NE.
            How about a proper intro in the GS Owner forum with some details of your trip.
            Sounds like a fun adventure.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by NE850GL View Post
              I just became the proud owner of a 1980 GS850G a couple of months ago. First bike and have only been riding for 3 months but I just got back from a 1400 mile trip to Colorado and up Pikes Peak. No problems whatsoever. It kept up with my riding buddies bikes which were much newer. Got a complement from one of them, and lots of compliments from other people. Its been a great old bike!
              It's crazy that you can buy your first bike, and that it is 37 years old, and have an adventure like that! if that doesn't get you stuck on bikes I'm not sure what would. Welcome aboard.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

BTW, here is my old 850G on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah sent from the new owner on his trip...cool to see my old bike traveling the country even without me! Looks like the Shinko 705 rear tire Jedz123 gave me is still holding up. Justin and I were tooling around NH on this bike just a few months ago. He'll be doing a warmer southern return trip in the near future so if anyone sees him on the way say hi from me and buy him a cup of coffee.

[IMG][/IMG]
                Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                  I sold it for a little more than $600 but it was still half the price of any reasonably priced older BMW on CL. In fact I put the word BMW in my ad and the caught the buyer's eye. He was intent on looking for a good used BMW for the trip because his xcountry riding partner had a beemer. Ironically he had no problems while the other guy's BMW had ignition issues that held them up! He even got more interest from lookers with the 850G on the trip than the BMW guy. I've owned 3 BMW bikes and now 3 850G bikes and for the $ I'd take the Suzuki on a long trip if I get the resolve someday to do. In the meantime I'll enjoy the GSes on my 400-600 mile multi day jaunts.
                  Yes, but my $600 GS850 went from Oregon to Maine over 5,000 miles with no problems other than my brother running into a rock between Enterprise , OR and Clarkston, WA and breaking the front cast rim. You can't blame Suzuki for that. A used front rim, new bearings, and a new tire set us back a couple days.

I have owned lots of Bosch electrics and lots of Lucas. I still do. Bosch is anything but trouble free.
                  Last edited by 850 Combat; 10-03-2017, 12:51 PM.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                  X