Leaving a bike in Ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving a bike in Ontario

I think I've mentioned here that in May I bought an ST1100. Last year you may remember I bought an ST1100 (1991) with 140,000kms for $1700 with the idea of riding it to where I grew up in Ontario and leaving it there so I had a bike there when visiting.
    But my cousin talked me into selling it to him while I was there.
    Today I'm starting my lone journey to Ontario for my buddies 25th annual motorcycle party at his beautiful cottage in Tobermory Ontario on Georgian Bay. About 4300kms to get there..... I'm riding the 1992 Honda 1100ST that I just bought less than two weeks ago. I have personally put 200kms on it....a little scary riding an old

That experience on the ST was such a good one that I vowed I would buy another ST to leave in Ontario.
    My niece was going to get married Sept 21st so that gave me a goal.
    Telling my Friday afternoon safety meeting buddies about the trip I soon had 10 other guys wanting to join me for a couple of days as I explained that my plan was to cross right away at Blaine Wa. and head to Lolo Pass in Montana....I have never been there and always wanted to do it, Then head north to The Going To the Sun Road in Mt. before I would head east on my own.

So here we are waiting for the 7am Ferry on Monday Sept 9th to get off our island.

Once across the border a friend living in Washington joined us for the first day and night on his awesome 750 four

Of course we needed to make a stop in Twisp Wa. after an amazing ride over the Washington Cascade mountain pass

And as my tradition goes I picked a local retro motel in Grand Coulee Wa. a 530km day.

No signature :(

The boys posing after dinner in Grand Coulee

Day two Grand Coulee to Missoula Mt. about 630kms via the incredible Lolo Pass....100 miles of twisty mountain road. I highly recommend it!
    Glad I put new tires on the ST before I left home...
    Breakfast in Creston Wa.

Our digs for the night in Missoula Mt.

My friend Gord....he's having very serious health issues and has said this might have been his last trip and that he will be selling his bike. It was emotional having him along.

​​​​​​​

Comment

Oh this was just before Lolo Pass. What a road outside Genesee Mt

Then Wed Sept 11th we left Misoulla Mt for the Going to the Sun Road near St Mary Mt....another bucket list ride checked off. Incredible experience.
      Breakfast in Saint Ignatius Mt at an aptly named cafe

Comment

I said my good byes to my buddies at the Going to the Sun rd around 1:30pm...they headed north to Alberta where they would take a few more days to get back to the Island and I headed east another 300kms to stay in Havre Mt for the night....I wanted to here last year but there was no room at the Inn

Thursday Sept 12th I headed for Devils Lake ND...this would be my last motel reservation as I was winging it after that....because this was a day through North Dakoda I decided to make it a bigger day at 900kms.
        What a windy day...I was pushing the wind hard for the last 400kms....the mileage on the ST suffered...could have been the 85mph I did all day...lol...I filled up once at 330kms (the bike usually gets 500kms to a tank) and I put in 7.2 us gallons in a 7,4 us gallon tank....yikes that was close
        I made it to Devils Lake and to my delight 4 Canadians from northern Ontario were staying there....first thing they asked was "how did you like that wind today"? Lol
        Great guys and we had dinner at the steak house next door. They had been all the way down to Texas and then over to Sedona Az
        We may have gotten drunk

Comment

Friday Sept 13th I headed for Ironwood Mi. Slightly hungover and caught in the rain in the morning...hard rain...served me right. Lol
          But the rain did not last long although I did put my rain gear on.....
          I have no pics other that the bathroom of the motel I stayed in....

Got to bed early and ready to head to Gaylord Mi. on Sat Sept 14th

Breakfast in Wakefield Mi at the Korner Kitchen....I love finding place like this. two eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and toast...$7....love it

On this day I took lots of back roads

Then in Masonville Township I came across a car show so I stopped to look around

And I made a friend in Gaylord Mi. lol....good old Kracken Rum

Comment

What a great trip, Trevor! Fabulous photos!
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
              Thursday Sept 12th I headed for Devils Lake ND...this would be my last motel reservation as I was winging it after that....because this was a day through North Dakoda I decided to make it a bigger day at 900kms.
              What a windy day...I was pushing the wind hard for the last 400kms....the mileage on the ST suffered...could have been the 85mph I did all day...lol...I filled up once at 330kms (the bike usually gets 500kms to a tank) and I put in 7.2 us gallons in a 7,4 us gallon tank....yikes that was close
              I made it to Devils Lake and to my delight 4 Canadians from northern Ontario were staying there....first thing they asked was "how did you like that wind today"? Lol
              Great guys and we had dinner at the steak house next door. They had been all the way down to Texas and then over to Sedona Az
              We may have gotten drunk
              I'm from Minot, North Dakota, 120 miles west of Devil's Lake. You must have gone right through. It's never NOT windy there. Going 85mph with a cross wind, you almost feel like you're leaning over and heading into a curve while travelling on some of the straightest stretches of highway out there!
              - David

80 GS850GL
              Arlington, TX

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ARMNMTNDSDTXsm.jpg

Comment

Awesome.

Best wishes for your friend Gord.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dgates1 View Post

I'm from Minot, North Dakota, 120 miles west of Devil's Lake. You must have gone right through. It's never NOT windy there. Going 85mph with a cross wind, you almost feel like you're leaning over and heading into a curve while travelling on some of the straightest stretches of highway out there!
                  Bingo!! Lol......the ST has a pretty big fairing and windscreen to boot. I did go through Minot

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    Awesome.

Best wishes for your friend Gord.
                    Thank you Glenn, I really appreciate that.

Comment

Definitely sounds like you had a fun ride!
                      I also like meeting folks while traveling. When you're on the road, it doesn't matter what motorcycle you're riding, you are all in one group.
                      Yeah, high wind sucks. Especially without a accurate fuel gage, also loosing your odometer riding across Nebraska!
                      So Trevor, you have a motorcycle in Ontario? Canada let's me in, (believe it or not) maybe we could meet up sometime. Let us know when you're coming back this way.
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                        Definitely sounds like you had a fun ride!
                        I also like meeting folks while traveling. When you're on the road, it doesn't matter what motorcycle you're riding, you are all in one group.
                        Yeah, high wind sucks. Especially without a accurate fuel gage, also loosing your odometer riding across Nebraska!
                        So Trevor, you have a motorcycle in Ontario? Canada let's me in, (believe it or not) maybe we could meet up sometime. Let us know when you're coming back this way.
                        Hey Norm, that would be great!
                        There are a few trains of thought around me leaving a bike there....
                        1. I can go back to Ontario and ride around there without losing the time of travelling back and forth...I can just fly in and out.
                        2. I could just ride one way each year....so next year I could fly out and ride home and vice versa the next year.
                        3. And this is what I really want to do is to see Canada's East coast...the Cabot Trail in particular. So having a bike in Ontario would cut down the time needed to do this in a big way.

I will keep you informed as I would love to ride/hangout with you.

Comment

Great Trevor!
                          Great story, Great pictures of the frindships and the ride, and the bikes, and scenery......

So first part of the trip you start out with a group of frinds from home.
                          THen go on your own.
                          Then meet up with a group you did not know......

And... you did make it to your destination......
                          .... but need to get another ST...?
                          Last edited by Redman; 10-21-2024, 05:12 PM.
                          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                            Great Trevor!
                            Great story, Great pictures of the frindships and the ride, and the bikes, and scenery......

THen go on your own.

That's correct....I sold the ST I rode last year to my cousin in Ontario and flew home. So I bought this ST in May with the same plan to leave it in Ontario.....not sure what I'll but either fly there and ride it home next year or fly there and ride to the east coast and ride back to Ontario, leave the bike there again and fly home.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                              Great Trevor!

THen go on your own.

Here is the thread on the ST I bought in May
                              I bought a 91 st last year and immediately rode it to Ontario from British Columbia to sell to my cousin and flew home. That bike made a big impression on me…so much so that I went out and bought a 2010 vfr1200f but kept an I out for another st Found this one today with only 50,000kms (30,000 miles) on it. Tons of up

Comment

Working...
                              X