First proper road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First proper road trip

So, Monday am I depart The D on the 1100 for southern (Bedford) Indiana to visit an old friend. I'll have a friend on a 1983 R80RT with me for that leg. Then, after hitting some of the good stuff around Bedford, I'll head up solo through Chi-town to Green Bay, then Escanaba, St Ignace, cross the bridge and follow the west side of the mitten down a bit, and then head home.

Fresh oil, valve lash, clean carbs, charging great, new tires & brakes, chain good & lubed, etc.

Any good tips for what to take and/or keep in mind? I've packed what I think is a good tool kit, and I'll be ready for cold/rain/high winds & scattered people, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Good to read.

All the best to you and your steed.

I am not from there but I followed your story well as I have gone through it once. And I now know (Thanks Dale) how to use "The mitten" to place things in Michigan.
    Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
    1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Should have come to Bedford LAST weekend, and visited the rally.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Should have come to Bedford LAST weekend, and visited the rally.

VERY True.

Could not, but really wanted to.

Hopefully I will catch some of the same routes

Comment

Originally posted by A-train View Post
          VERY True.

Could not, but really wanted to.

Hopefully I will catch some of the same routes
          Get a map, do not miss 450 (begins in Bedford), 150 and Indiana 66/62 (along the Ohio river)

There are others but these are worth making an effort to ride them.
          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Mountains

Well, I did end up heading down to Bedford, and hit some really nice riding while there.

However, when considering my next move, I caught a faint scent of the Smokies from the east, and it was impossible to resist.

Rode 3 hours in a serious T-storm in the dark to get me to Lexington, KY. The next day took me down to Deal's Gap/Tail of the Dragon, and then 321 out of Maryville into and up through the Smokies, before heading back north.

Definitely a must-do ride, even with the 500 mile rush to make it home on time

Oh, and the 1100 ran like a new machine. Hardly used a drop of oil for all 1,600 miles.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2014, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Man, that sounds like a great ride.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                Man, that sounds like a great ride.

T'was indeed.

Comment

Yah, once you are in southern Indiana, heading to NC & TN sounds better than Wisc or the UP.

Could have pointed you to Brian Wringer great maps of southern IN with highlighted great roads. If you want them in future, search for bwringer Brown County.

Did ya like Bedford area? Make the rally and annual event.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Cool ride!
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by A-train View Post
                      I've packed what I think is a good tool kit, and I'll be ready for cold/rain/high winds & scattered people, but any advice would be much appreciated.
                      You're going up there to scatter people?

Sounds like fun.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Yah, once you are in southern Indiana, heading to NC & TN sounds better than Wisc or the UP.

Could have pointed you to Brian Wringer great maps of southern IN with highlighted great roads. If you want them in future, search for bwringer Brown County.

Did ya like Bedford area? Make the rally and annual event.

I liked the Bedford area a lot. Tons of good riding, and very little traffic.

I need to make that rally next year.

Comment

Working...
                        X