A long-awaited Blue Ridge Parkway venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A long-awaited Blue Ridge Parkway venture

I'm extremely happy that my vision issues seem to be behind me, and I've been busy planning out my venture from the Chicago burbs to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm starting at the south end in Great Smoky Mountain National Park and continuing northeast beyond its starting point through the Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Forest.

I've heard enough good things about the Skyline that I'm preparing to ride it in both directions. We will see.

So far, I'm spending the first night in Gatlinburg, TN so I can launch early a.m. to GSMNP; I really want to ride through Cade's Cove, maybe twice, but then it's time to get rolling; I intend to cover 170 miles of the BRP in the first day. I'm still toying with turning down the volume & pace for a while by renting a bicycle for the Cade's Cove circuit.

It's a challenge to plan the layovers because there are so many reasons to stop and see the sights and attractions. It's tough to guestimate how much clowning around time I'll need. I want to be a typical Joe Tourist this time and read the placards, photograph everything, ask stupid questions, browse through pamphlets, purchase postcards & souvenirs, the usual.

Second night is in Blowing Rock. I want to photograph the Linville Viaduct / Grandfather Mountain from a few vantage points. Then a quick stop to see what the frig the Peaceful Heart Alpacas are all about (?? MP 204) and onward to Mount Airy to enjoy Mayberry and Aunt Bea's Diner. I'm staying right across the street for night #3. Yep, pure tourist.

That's where I'm stuck for now. There's 200 more miles of parkway to enjoy and I'm not sure where to spend night #4. Perhaps I'll get a motel for two nights at around MP5, where I can launch my Skyline Drive cruise. With a max. speed limit of 35, maybe I never get beyond third gear.

It looks like everywhere I'm staying has wi-fi, so I can actually stay in contact with the civilized world. I've been trying to remember the last year I took an actual vacation!
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

brp is awwwwesome. i wonder if the blueberries will be ripe...
    last time i was there i ate all i could hold.
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

While on the western end of the BRP, be sure to take some time at Maggie Valley. MP455 is US Rt 19, go about 5.7 miles east to the Wheels Through Time Museum.

Hopefully Dale Walksler (the owner) will be there to be your guide. It is known as "The museum that runs" for a reason. He is quite willing to start up virtually ANY of the bikes there, even though many of them are over 100 years old.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Looking forward to the photos, sounds like a real scenic ride.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Sounds like a great plan. What are you riding? Definitely take Steve's advice re: Wheels Through Time. You'll be glad you did. I'd try to meet up with you if I didn't have other plans.Ride safe and good luck.
          Willie
          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Beautiful roads indeed which are best enjoyed in Autumn when the leaves are doing their thing but anytime except the weekends are great too. Don't forget rain gear just in case.

Comment

The bicycle for Cades Cove is a great idea -- it would definitely be the fastest way through that hellhole.

Otherwise, you're sitting for hours on a narrow, one-lane road astride an overheating motorcycle while oblivious flatlander morons stop their cars in the middle of the road so they can get out and take pictures of the exact same species of whitetail deer and squirrels they have at home. (Yes, they really do this. Thousands of them.)

On a bicycle, you can at least just ride around the morons much of the time.

Cades Cove is a beautiful valley and all, but it's ruined by the smothering crowds of blithering imbeciles. Unless it's early on a weekday and you have several hours to spare, be prepared to give it a miss. It's one-way, so if you go in, you're committed. There's a cross road (Hyatt Lane) that cuts off about half the loop if the crowds are too grim.

The BRP is indeed an awesome ride. Definitely a bucket list item. And the whole thing is open now -- parts of it in the mountains were closed for several years following some rock slides.

Enjoy!
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Enjoy your trip Mr. Barr.

I hope you sent me my o-ring kit before you left........
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                  What are you riding?
                  I'll be taking the Land Barge in my sig.

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                  Beautiful roads indeed which are best enjoyed in Autumn when the leaves are doing their thing but anytime except the weekends are great too..
                  I'm driving down there on a Sunday, specifically so I'll have an entire week of workdays to play with.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  The bicycle for Cades Cove is a great idea -- it would definitely be the fastest way through that hellhole... you can at least just ride around the morons much of the time.
                  It'll be a Monday morning, but not all that early. 10, maybe. This late in the season, both my bicycle-a$$ and motorcycle-a$$ are pretty well developed and callused.

I found some reference to something like "Peace/Love Alpacas". Here it is It looks almost too weird to pass up, but maybe I'll get my fill of weird without really trying. Looking forward to Mayberry, too!

Comment

Made it to Gatlinburg. Ran into a few tourists! Holy Cheeze-Whiz, when did this area turn into Branson MO? This was just nuts! The last 10 miles of my trip took over an hour because of traffic and pedestrian traffic jams. Madness! I'm glad these folks are making some money on tourism, but this is simply unreal.

The ride was mainly enjoyable. Got rained on 5 different times, including that last hour+ of walking-speed madness.

The scenery is simply stunning. You can look at all the top-notch photography there is and it won't do it justice. My sense of proportion doesn't quite register the heights and distances; I'm looking at peaks that might be 20 or more miles away, all shrouded in mist. Smoky! Kentucky was gorgeous, but Tennessee is incredible. I'm really making the most of my new 'bionic' vision, as my distance vision is better than I ever recall. Really good timing for that.

Great highways, too. Much fun. No photos to report yet.

On to the Parkway in the morning. See ya soon.

RB

Comment

Here's what most of the day looked like.

Sorry about the image size...

Comment

A few more photos on my Pbase site. Use the prior / next buttons in the upper right to navigate. I had to steal a few because of extreme fog. Text later.

Total of just under 2,100 miles. You folks living in the southeast sure have some gorgeous motorcycling roads, and I've seen just a small sample.

Comment

You look like you are having way too much fun in one of those pictures. A little early in the year for the colorful fireworks show. (That must be one of those borrowed pic's)
                          Foggy most of the time. Perhaps that is why they are called The Great Smoky Mountains. Now back to work! Where are my O-rings!?? J/K

Comment

Robert,

I'm glad you're having a nice trip. I'm enjoying these pics as I will be riding the BRP in October....

Joe
                            IBA# 24077
                            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Great looking pictures...can't wait to see more
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X