Heading north with bike in tow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading north with bike in tow.

Looks like a week at the beach has been put to rest. With the red tide and hotel rates going up, we decided to hit the road and visit some of my wife's relatives in the Carolina's, West Virginia, and Tennessee next week. I'm bringing my '92 GSX1100G and my new fishing kayak. I may not get to fish, but if I can find a few rivers to explore, that would be cool. I'm also looking for some cool roads to ride the bike on, while the wife catches up with the relatives. Maybe I can meet a few of you guys while I sneak away.

My wife is making some calls to see who's going to be able to put us up for a night and where we'll have to get a room. It may be from weekend to weekend if things work out.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Find some cool roads? More like "spoiled for choice".
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Once I find out where we'll be stopping, I hope some members will be able to tell me of some good three to four hour circular trips. I can look at maps, but maps can't tell you about the character of the roads. Florida isn't known for it's curves and hills, so I'm hoping for some local knowledge to steer me towards the best routes. If possible I'd like to at least ride some of the dragons tail. Some idea of what the weather is like, will also help. We will be dropping out of the 90's finally next week. I don't possess a large amount of cold weather clothes. Are there any color changing leaves left?
      GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
        ..... and visit some of my wife's relatives in the Carolina's, West Virginia, and Tennessee next week. ...........
        Any particular areas in those states....?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Nothing yet. My wife is checking with her relatives, but I haven't heard anything yet and getting her to agree on anywhere is as bad as pulling a loose tooth. Hoping to hit the road Sunday. I want to ride the Dragon, the rest is just sight seeing. I know she has a ex sister in law in WV and a cousin in Carthage, Tennessee, between Knoxville and Nashville. I'd prefer to hit the old roads and stay off the main highways unless we need to make time getting from one place to another.
          GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Have fun. Will be cooler for sure.
            David
            1998 Suzuki Bandit
            1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
            1978 GS1000 - gone
            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

I'm thinking Gatlinburg or surrounding areas as a first destination if she doesn't get some replies soon. I'd like to travel some of the old highways on this trip, so 441 looks to be a road that will pass through some nice scenery on our way north thru Smokey Mountain National part and it reasonably close to the Dragons Tail. I've take off starting today and heading to church in a few. We have a couple of members that have places up that way, so maybe one of them will donate a place to stay for a night or two so we can see the sights in that region.
              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Rick, a couple things. Be prepared that Gatlinburg rooms are expensive and pretty full this time of year, so call first. Don't forget the other towns in the area. Townsend is supposed to be very nice.

If you can, the "Wheels Through Time" motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley is suppose to be outstanding.

If you must do the Tail of the Dragon, go early in the day, during the week. Don't bother on the weekend. Understand, the speed limit is slow, and it is heavily patrolled.
                There are many other, and better, roads in the area.

You can look up the Devils Triangle, if you dare. Dangerous piece of road that, but the Brushy Mountain Prison tour is well worth it.
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I highly recommend the Cherohula Skyway. Runs on top of the mountains with fantastic views. Long sweeping curves, but beware of the troopers, they watch it close!
                  Ron
                  When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                  1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                  1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                  1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                  1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                    Rick, a couple things. Be prepared that Gatlinburg rooms are expensive and pretty full this time of year, so call first. Don't forget the other towns in the area. Townsend is supposed to be very nice.

If you can, the "Wheels Through Time" motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley is suppose to be outstanding.

If you must do the Tail of the Dragon, go early in the day, during the week. Don't bother on the weekend. Understand, the speed limit is slow, and it is heavily patrolled.
                    There are many other, and better, roads in the area.

You can look up the Devils Triangle, if you dare. Dangerous piece of road that, but the Brushy Mountain Prison tour is well worth it.
                    Thanks Bob, Gatlinburg is just a place to point the truck at in hopes of getting somewhere. My wife is driving me nuts. Now she looking at Gulf beaches again, so I don't have a clue as to where I'm going. I looked at some sites and yeah I will be trying to hit a few of the roads near the Dragon as well and it looks like we will be doing everything on weekdays. If we make it up there I plan on getting up early for my riding times and I'm not a peg scraper, so I won't be trying to break any records. I just want some enjoyable rides while enjoying the scenery. What are the temps like up there at this time? I see there is a front going through, so we are waiting till Monday to leave no matter where we go.
                    GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                      I highly recommend the Cherohula Skyway. Runs on top of the mountains with fantastic views. Long sweeping curves, but beware of the troopers, they watch it close!
                      Yeah I saw that on one site. I may take the truck that way on the way up so the wife can get in the views also. She already said she wasn't riding with me, which sucks, because we could make it a day ride if she did. I think I'll sneak her helmet along just in case she changes her mind.
                      GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                        What are the temps like up there at this time? I see there is a front going through, so we are waiting till Monday to leave no matter where we go.
                        Low to mid 60s, early in the week, with little chance of rain (right NOW), high 50s, low 60s later in the week, with 50%ish chance of rain.

Understand this is my forecast. There can be a considerable difference in weather between, the east side of the Smoky Mountains, the west side of the Smoky Mountains, the Tennessee River Valley, and the Cumberland Plateau. And it changes....A lot...So check your weather app.
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                          Low to mid 60s, early in the week, with little chance of rain (right NOW), high 50s, low 60s later in the week, with 50%ish chance of rain.

Understand this is my forecast. There can be a considerable difference in weather between, the east side of the Smoky Mountains, the west side of the Smoky Mountains, the Tennessee River Valley, and the Cumberland Plateau. And it changes....A lot...So check your weather app.
                          Weather app? I have a 20th century flip phone. I use a finger that I wet and hold up in the air and arthritis in my wrists to predict the weather. Weather apps are for pansies.

I appreciate the info. Bob.
                          GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Working...
                          X