Washington state to South Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washington state to South Carolina

Thinking about making this trip around July this year. Not sure why but I was in the Air Force in Charleston 1971-74 and thought I would go back to see what it’s like now.I don’t doubt my 83 GS 1100E or 82 Yamaha Seca 750, but the longest trips I’ve ever been on have been a couple hundred miles. Mechanically both bikes are perfect but the big Suzuki is slightly bigger and heavier. Both get 40-45 mpg.Neither burn or leak oil. Anyone done this route?Northern or Southern route? Not really looking to sightsee but get there and back with least hassle.

Northern route or Southern route... Since your planning on going in July I'd take the northern route. Then drop south around Chicago, you want to hit Kentucky and Tennessee. I'd take your 1100e horsepower is your friend on long stretches of highway. I did a 6,000 mile southwestern loop on my 79 1000e I loved it! Cross country trips on a Vintage motorcycle is awesome! You got to do a little sightseeing along the way. Ride five miles off the highway and find a local diner or bar/restaurant. There's a lot of friendly people out there. Keep us posted on your adventure. 👍
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Thanks I’ll kick that around. I’ve only driven this once before when I got out of the Airforce in July of 74. Northern route in a 73 Dart 318/3spd towing a trailer with a74 gt750,73gt250 and 71 Ossa pioneer inside. I’m leaning more for the GS cause I have a set of hard bags and trunk that I would bolt on just for this trip.

Comment

Agreed. Liter bike for the win, especially if you're planning to do highway miles. It's nice to have that handful of torque on hand if needed when dealing with idiot car drivers.
        Make sure your charging system is up to snuff.... mine once left me stranded 200 miles from home when it failed.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'd do the northern route too but I would definitely drop south before getting to Chicago like Storm said. One question though - why not do some sightseeing? It'll break up the monotony of the ride and, when you run through Kentucky/Tennessee, give you some really nice roads to explore.

Keep in mind we are here to help if you get into trouble though.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I am/was considering attending the Brown County rally in Bedford, IN. the end of June and planned out a route going from where I live to Boise,Id to Wilmington, NC, via Bedford. I modified my plan to suite yours on Qoogle maps : https://goo.gl/maps/pLkKuM2th7B2 I had planned on a visit on to a family member in St Louis area, but you can easily change that out or remove the Bedford loop.
            Last edited by Charlie G; 01-05-2019, 02:49 PM.
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Having ridden 10's of thousands of miles on 650's and below I have decided when I am touring, I need a liter bike or bigger. On my trip in 2016 while riding my 1100g through eastern Montana and getting blown around by cross-winds I considered the advantages of a heavy motorcycle. The greater the mass the greater the resistance to a wind force. I'm not ready to use a 1000 lb Goldwing or Harley but our 1100's give a nice mid-point......

Go through that bike with a fine toothed comb. Fork oil, valves & gaskets, charging, tires, spare cables & Rr, tools, ect. I didn't change my $30 valve cover gasket when I adjusted my valves before my trip and it cost me $250.00 and a days delay in my trip. I was lucky in that there was a Suzuki dealer in the town I broke down in!
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I just went through a bunch of maintenance,flushed all fluids,valve adjust,carb clean and sync,new pads,tires,battery. Luckily I had just sold an 821100E that came with a truck load of new parts some of which went on mine.Ill have to look at my paperwork for the electrical.I bought this thing new and on the advice of other GS folks I replaced it with Electrix? I believe that’s the brand name. That was late 80s I think,45,000 later never a problem. I’m not familiar with this brown county deal. I’ll look it up today. Looking forward to a good trip.

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
                  I just went through a bunch of maintenance,flushed all fluids,valve adjust,carb clean and sync,new pads,tires,battery. Luckily I had just sold an 821100E that came with a truck load of new parts some of which went on mine.Ill have to look at my paperwork for the electrical.I bought this thing new and on the advice of other GS folks I replaced it with Electrix? I believe that’s the brand name. That was late 80s I think,45,000 later never a problem. I’m not familiar with this brown county deal. I’ll look it up today. Looking forward to a good trip.
                  https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-SAVE-THE-DATE!
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

Others have given you suggestions on which bike and which route, I'll offer a suggestion on timing.

If you move it up a couple of weeks, you can join Charlie G and visit us at our rally in Indiana.

If you leave mid-July (or a few days earlier) and don't mind a little detour, you can stop by for a picnic lunch in West Virginia.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Personally, I would avoid interstates, Particularly any Interstates around the great Lakes. US 26 Runs between Seaside, OR and Ogallala, NE, which isn't that far from the GS Rally. US 20, which runs from Newport, OR to Boston, is too close to 80/90 around the Great Lakes. 224 or 30 are is largely small towns and Farmland South of the Great Lakes. US 2 runs from Everett, WA to the Maine Coast, but I think its way too far North for your purposes. It peters out for a bit in Upper Michigan, as well. The original intent was a segment through Canada. Todd Cannon, (Big T here) has tons of great info on roads less travelled between the PNW and Wyoming. His advice has always lead me through places I was very happy to see, on roads I was very happy to be on. The great ones Google, along with your GPS, avoid. US 20 and 26 are sometimes the same. I like US 14 over the Bighorn Mountains, too. US20 happens to be the main highway through Yellowstone, as well. If time isn't of the essence, I would consider consulting with Todd for the Western part, and this list for other parts. That has worked great in the past for me.

You can't miss no matter which way you travel.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

All good suggestions. I don’t want the northern run in June or July if there’s any chance I’ll get rained on. Don’t want that at all. I’m still kicking it around.

Comment

Running through the rain in the northern tier of the US isn't bad that time of year, it tends to get pretty warm. Both I-80 and I-84 are hands down the two most boring routes across the US, even going up to I-90 is better and US-2 rocks from Eastern Minn through WI and Michigan's U.P. Hook a right at St Ignace and shoot south down I-75 then US-131 to Indiana.
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Regarding highway travel - I used to avoid it as much as possible. Perhaps I’m changing, but over the last few years, I’ve come to enjoy flogging my non touring bike on the interstate. I wouldn’t want to do it all day, but I’m fine these days for a couple of hours.

I read an observation a few years ago that while rural / small town riding is great, the ever increasing amount of traffic and lights can become a problem if time is a consideration.

About five years ago, I was riding home from Maryland to NJ. I was determined to avoid all highways, as I didn’t want to deal with a litany of tolls at the bridges and tunnels, plus if figured that on a Friday in October, traffic would be light..... it took 8 mostly miserable hours to do what took about 2-1/2 - 3 to do on the highway going there.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Glen, things are a bit different out in the west. Most towns you encounter may have a stop sign and are typically much farther apart. So, riding state/ federal highways is not much slower than the interstates.

That said, there are tons of roads between La Center and Illinois that should not be missed on such a trip.
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X