Washington state to South Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to travel further.....

Now that you mention it, I have experienced that deep into Pennsylvania on state roads where one can buzz along at a decent clip for a while, then be slowed to an in town speed for several blocks then quickly resume 55-65 mph.. Thanks for the reminder. That is fun riding.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

One other issue about riding out west is the availability of gas especially on the back highways. It is not uncommon to have 90 miles or more between gas stations (Ellicott to the Kit Carson CO line on Hwy 94 is one example). From 2009 to 2012 I lived just 10 miles past this sign and would sometimes find myself in trouble the next morning if I hit reserve before leaving here on the way home.

road sign by Scott Baker, on Flickr
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Actually I have no qualms about interstate freeway riding to get there and back. Not an issue. I’ll look into the GS rally,sounds like a good time.

Comment

Great thread. What amount of time are you planning in which to do this trip?

I ask, because I've been tossing around the idea of riding from Phoenix to Cleveland this summer.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

I didn’t have a time restriction cause I’m a retired guy and just wanted to go looking around wit South Carolina as my destination.

Comment

Anyone traveling through the Youngstown, Ohio aria (northeast Ohio) you are more than welcome to stay at my bachelor pad. No wife, no kids, cold refreshments, hot shower, soft bed, secure motorcycle parking. 👍
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
                I didn’t have a time restriction cause I’m a retired guy and just wanted to go looking around wit South Carolina as my destination.
                That is a pretty awesome situation to be in.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                  Anyone traveling through the Youngstown, Ohio aria (northeast Ohio) you are more than welcome to stay at my bachelor pad. No wife, no kids, cold refreshments, hot shower, soft bed, secure motorcycle parking. 
                  That no wife,no kids remark made me laugh. We had a guy join our chapter of Mopar Muscle in Vancouver Washington years ago that had 2 new Vipers,a new Prowler, a new Dodge 1/2 ton short wide painted blue with white stripes to match the one Viper coupe,and a color matched flatbed trailer to emulate the traveling pickup,trailer ,Viper show that Dodge had back then. He showed up at the club meeting in a Viper and we were talking in the parking lot after and the club president asked “how in the heck can a 25 year old afford all this” and the guy replied no wife no kids.

Comment

So many good routes

E 4th St to Fargher Lake, 5
                    Hwy 503 to Cougar, FS 90 (same rd) (be sure to turn right at the sign 15 miles out), past Northwoods, up Curly Creek, Rt on Wind River Rd to Carson
                    Left on Hwy 14 past Maryhill and Rt on Hwy 97 across the Columbia
                    Left on Hwy 206 thru Wasco and Condon to Heppner
                    As you enter Heppner-rt on Willow Creek Rd to Ukiah, road becomes Hwy 244 to I 84
                    East to La Grande
                    North on Hwy 82 to Enterprise
                    Good motels and campground in Enterprise
                    Then north on Hwy 3 down the famous Rattlesnake Grade To Lewiston, ID
                    East On Hwy 12 past lolo Hot Springs to Missoula, Mt
                    East on I 90 to Hwy 89 at Livingston, Mt
                    South to Yellowstone (get your senior pass)
                    In the North Gate then left to Tower Junction, left on 212 to Cooke City over the Beartooth Pass
                    Rt on Hwy 296 to Hwy 120, Rt to Cody (tour the Buffalo Bill Center)
                    Now, much easier - East on Hwy 14 (again) over the Bighorns to Sheridan -keep following Hwy 14 with a short side trip to Devils Tower
                    On to the Black Hills and tour those roads
                    Take either Hwy 44 or I 90 east from Rapid City
                    Cross MN and end up at la Crosse, WI
                    Follow Hwy 14, or just go east and south on letter roads
                    Stop at Spring Green and tour Frank Lloyd Wrights Taliesen and /or The House on the Rock
                    Head east and north past Fond Du Lac to Manitowac and take the SS Badger across Lake Michigan (thus avoiding Chicago)
                    Go south towards Indy and the rally (Redman and others can get you the good routes thru MI and IN)

Taliesin is the home, studio, school, and 800-acre property of Frank Lloyd Wright in the Driftless Region of southern Wisconsin near Spring Green.

The House on the Rock is a world famous Wisconsin Attraction opened in 1960 by Alex Jordan. It now also features a world class resort, golf course, and spa!

Discover the rich history of the American West at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody, WY. Explore our museum and experience the Wild West.

Last edited by Big T; 01-21-2019, 06:12 PM.
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                    X