Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch safety switch neutral override

Hello all.

I recently learned that my state requires a safety clutch switch in order to pass inspection if the bike had previously had one. So with a copy of the wiring diagram for my bike I successfully installed this clutch safety switch. And it is working properly the issue I'm having is how to install the neutral in this circuit. Was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on this or a sketch on a napkin to help me understand. Thanks.
    1982 Gs750E

Best I remember, The Suzuki clutch safety switch on these old GS's have nor ever had anything to do with neutral, just have got to hold clutch in for starter motor to turn. I've no clue when they did start hooking it to neutral. I think my 2005 Bandit, if you put it in gear with the side stand down, eng. will die.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Hey appreciate the input man that's what was throwing me off there was nothing on the wiring diagram.
      1982 Gs750E

Comment

I assume what you want is so that if is in netural then that bypases the clutch swtich (so can operate the starter without pulling in the clutch).

Well, as you know, your bike does have a netural swittch to light the netural light. If your 82 750 is like the 850G and 1100G, the netural switch is in the circuit to complete the ground, by that I mean : positive power is to the light and then wire from other side of the light goes to the netural swtich and the netural swtich connects the wire to ground to light the light.
        So you need to add a relay with power to the coil and wire from other side of coil to the netural switch circuit, so that when in netural the netural switch operates the relay (and also the light). ANd then wire the contact (n.o. contact) of the relay to bypas the clutch switch.

PS: Is intersting to me that your state would know which model/year bikes had a clutch switch (to interupt the starter).
        I wonder if they also know what model/year had sidestand kill the ignition.
        Last edited by Redman; 06-15-2024, 10:39 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by GsNub View Post
          . . . . . . . . . . . .. . what was throwing me off there was nothing on the wiring diagram.
          If the same as 850G and 1100G : the clutch switch is called "interlock" on the schematic. Look in the starter button - starter solenoid circuit. It interupts the starter only.

THe netural swich only lights a light, is not invlolved in the "interlock" to the starter.
          THe sidestand swtich only lights a light, is not involved in the "interlock" to the starter, and does not effect the ignition.
          Only thing that kills the ignition, other than the ignition swtich and fuse(s) is the kill swtich.

I think the logic/citcuitry thst kills the ignitiopn based on gear and sidestand was not on any bikes untill mid 90s.
          (THe idea of sidestand killing the ignition is a subject that has gotten my attention .... A-Hem)
          Last edited by Redman; 06-15-2024, 10:34 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Redman. Not quite sure how they would know which models have what but it was certainly frustrating to say the least. Especially considering I was calling around two different shops while I was trying to figure out what was needed and each shop seem to have a different answer. Either way there's a fair amount of work to do still.
            1982 Gs750E

Comment

T. . . . . . . . . . . . I was calling around two different shops while I was trying to figure out what was needed and each shop seem to have a different answer. . . . . . . . .
              A large portion of that situation would be if anybody at any shop (i assume dealer) will have any knowlodge/experince/familiarity with your 1970/80s bike. And maybe they just assume the clutch switch is used in a circuit (along with gear and or sidestand) to kill the ignition like bikes since the mid 90s have.

Again: all the clutch swtich does on your 1980s GS is interupt the starter button from operating the starter solenoid. (And all the netural switch does is light a light on the instrument panel. ANd all the sidestand swtich does is light another light on the instrument panel.)
              (assuming your 750E has same as650G, 850G, 1100G.)

T. . . . . . . . . . . . there's a fair amount of work to do still. . . . . . . . .
              What is it you are trying to do? Invent more than what was original??
              Last edited by Redman; 07-17-2024, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I searched Penn DOT's Website, found their Motorcycle Inspection criteria and found noting regarding a clutch. The words CLUTCH and NEUTRAL don't appear at all and the word SAFETY only as it applies to glass/glazing..
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  I searched Penn DOT's Website, found their Motorcycle Inspection criteria and found noting regarding a clutch. The words CLUTCH and NEUTRAL don't appear at all and the word SAFETY only as it applies to glass/glazing..
                  https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/D...ubchapterh.pdf
                  Yup, what the law actually says and what the inspection numpty thinks it says are often miles apart.

And there's absolutely nothing at all in the inspection procedure about the clutch switch, and there's no wiggle room in the language for the inspector to make a judgement call just because he "thinks" a bike is unsafe or he doesn't like something. In other words, there are several "REJECT IF" statements, but if you're not in violation of one of these, then you must pass.

Find a less ignorant inspector.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                  X