Clutch Start Switch Piece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Start Switch Piece?

I recently changed the old clutch lever on my 1982 Suzuki GS650g after it broke and now it doesn't act like it wants to start at all. The starter doesn't do anything. I'm assuming there must be a piece that I lost when changing the clutch lever. I see there is a switch, but doesn't appear to be anything to activate it. I don't see a piece of plastic or anything around my bike where I changed the clutch. Am I missing something? It seems a stretch that the starter would go out the same day I change the clutch lever.

Welcome to the forum. New bike for you? First Bike? Go the the GS Owners Forum and give us an intro. Tell us about you and your bike.

In answer to your question, if you are EM on facebook, I believe I answered your question on the Suzuki GS Owners salvage yard # 2 page. But here goes again.

The original clutch safety switch found on the underside of the clutch lever perch was there from factory, requiring that you pull the clutch lever in to allow the start button to operate. If you replaced the perch (the part that attached to the handlebar), you would have had to remove that switch. It is exactly the same as the switch on the underside of the front brake lever switch on the right side of the bar. This clutch safety switch is easily defeated, but you have to follow the wire into the headlamp bucket, remove the headlamp, disconnect the switch that went to the clutch lever from the connectors to the harness in the headlamp bucket, than connect those harness connectors to each other. The male/female connectors should be set up to do that easily without having to do any real electrical work. Then you should be able to start the bike without having to pull the clutch lever.

Be warned, this is a blessing, but more of a curse, In my opinion. Not everyone agrees. Not everyone has to. And that's OK. You'll find out the first time you start the bike in gear and you're not on it and in full control and it takes off and crashes into someone or something else that you love.​
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

You most likely lost #6.

1982 Suzuki GS650G L.eft Handle Switch (Model Z) | Babbitts Suzuki Parts House
      1986 1150EF
      2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Working...
      X