New layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New layout

I like the new look and layout however, it doesn’t operate very well.
    I have a few other forums that I visit regularly and whatever thread I click on whether I’m subscribed to/following or not, when I return to that thread it always picks up exactly where I left off. I don’t need to feed through a hundred pages to see what’s new, I don’t need to scroll to the bottom of the page so that I can select the last page just to look at it.
    Another thing is that there is usually a setup option of how you want to display the threads as oldest to newest or newest to oldest.

If there is a way to select the settings so that the site will show as I stated then, I can’t find it.
    Could someone please tell me what I’m doing wrong and lead me to where I can set this up? Or, is this the way the new layout was designed?
    http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/imag...TXUTWAWIsm.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

I believe that you need to go to "user settings" and set how the thread display show up for you.
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/core/images/smilies/cool.png
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Ok, I found it at the same time you posted where it asks about posts or latest activity and it set it up to go from newest to oldest.
      Thanks

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3
        Having dome some IT work 20+ years back I can understand that stuff doesn't always work "Right out of the box" and can understand grumblings about how this or that doesn't work. Please don't take this entry as a complaint, I have nothing to complain about.

The only thing I've noticed so far as to a "Glitch" is moving to the last page of a long thread. The arrow button to the far right of the page number generally takes you to the last page. From my end, it operates the same as the "next page" arrow directly to the right of the page number. Not a problem, merely enter the page number of the last page an it takes you there.
        That’s exactly what I was referring to.
        Go into your User Settings, go to Account and towards the bottom, you need to select Posts or Latest Activity. It comes defaulted in the Posts way of operation so select Latest Activity and it will operate pretty much as before with new features now.
        Last edited by wacky941; 03-13-2022, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks Wacky!

I'm glad this thread was started. Navigating new platforms can take a minute...

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

The little down arrow next to the thread title takes you to the latest posts, just like the old familiar forum, (which I already miss).

Although we do have a like button now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
              The little down arrow next to the thread title takes you to the latest posts, just like the old familiar forum, (which I already miss).

Although we do have a like button now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Change...it's bound to happen!

But, you're right about the "like" button. lol

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

One thing that I'm having trouble with is the old layout had a "new posts" button...you would click on it to get the new posts...but after you read the thread it would still be there when you clicked on new posts even if nobody had posted to it...it would just be down further on the page in the "already read titles"...
                the new layout you click on "new topics"...but once you had read the thread it disappears and you have to go to the forum page and try to remember where the topic was listed to see it again.
                Also I too like the latest post to come up first but now you have to click on "latest activity" each time to get the latest post first....the old system you could go into member settings and permanently set it up so you don't have do it every time.
                Last edited by trevor; 03-13-2022, 12:08 PM.
                No signature :(

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post

That’s exactly what I was referring to.
                  Go into your User Settings, go to Account and towards the bottom, you need to select Posts or Latest Activity. It comes defaulted in the Posts way of operation so select Latest Activity and it will operate pretty much as before with new features now.
                  Figured that out after I made the post which is why I deleted that comment

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

I'm still having trouble posting pictures. Says " Image resize failed due to your library not having support for this Image type"... Maybe I have to resize the picture I'm trying to post??
                    I usually don't have problems posting pictures on other forums... I'll keep trying.
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

Yes but once you have viewed the post the topic you won't see it again unless you go into the forum category page to look for it again...the old layout would just move it down on the new posts to already read posts

Comment

I'm still getting used to it .... I like the forums page having new posts on the right side ..... Still haven't figured out how to get to the home page from the forums section yet .....
                        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                        https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post

Yes but once you have viewed the post the topic you won't see it again unless you go into the forum category page to look for it again...the old layout would just move it down on the new posts to already read posts
                          You know what, that's how the old one worked for me. Once I read it, it was no longer part of the "New Posts" unless someone else added something.
                          Maybe it's a setting...

I am still looking for a alternative theme....the grey on grey isn't working for me...
                          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

When you go to latest topics it always shows the very first post...so you don't know if something new has been posted to it unless you click on it....Whew I'm having troubles making this user friendly.

Comment

You think you're having trouble..I'm completely lost !!!
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X