Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Dave, .
    .. That’s the same as before the update.
    Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post

Yes, just like it used to be

Thanks. Rich and ScottCowboy.

(I previously mostly used the "Todays Post".)

Okay.
    I think about only thing I am still ponder is Multiple Quote.
    Have tried Quote, and other Quote....
    Have tried Shift-Quote, have tried Cntrl-Quote, have looked for MultiQuote button.
    So, I resort to the quote, copy, cancel, other quote, paste.
    Last edited by Redman; 03-14-2022, 10:29 PM.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      Maybe, but there is an earlier thread just below that one, "Latest upgrade is semi completed", that has 3 or 4 thank you's in it & there's no place for a reply there either....Dang it, the older I get the less I like change, especially when there was nothing wrong with the way it was....But still do appreciate Frank for being there for us.
      Took the words right out of my mouth. I also don't like the idea of fixing something that wasn't broken. May have to take some time away as well.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post

Took the words right out of my mouth. I also don't like the idea of fixing something that wasn't broken. May have to take some time away as well.
        There's an awful lot going on "behind the scenes" software wise that most people have no idea about, the biggest issue being security. My ORIGINAL old-time computer geek buddies who have been at it since the 1960's will tell you it took over three decades to debug some of the original software systems they started out on, the stuff that runs banking, telephone systems and the like. With the explosion of tech in the last 30 years and the lightening speed at which it evolves even something appearing as simple as a message board has thousands if not millions of lines of code behind it, stuff was broken when it was originally released!

Just like our software we need to evolve as well, nature has a way of dealing with those that won't or can't.

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Did anyone else notice that when you read a post then hit the back button that the thread disappears? most times...not always...weird
          No signature :(

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
            Did anyone else notice that when you read a post then hit the back button that the thread disappears? most times...not always...weird
            Yes, from playing around a little, apparently, if you use the browsers back button right away to go back the NEW POSTS, the thread title you just left is now light blue (marking it as read). If you stay on the thread for a little longer (10 seconds?) before clicking back, then the thread title you just left disappears from the NEW POSTS.
            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 03-15-2022, 11:17 AM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

It's nice have a a "like" button. I think someone brought this up already, but is there a way to see who liked my post, or who liked any post?
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                It's nice have a a "like" button. I think someone brought this up already, but is there a way to see who liked my post, or who liked any post?
                I was wondering that too. Other sites tell you who liked your post.
                No signature :(

Comment

One thing I don't like is the new format for Subscriptions ..... Clicking on it gives me the last six comments on subscribed threads and no way to expand it to include all my subscriptions ..... I'd sooner have a concise list and open the thread if I want to see the content .......
                  Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                  https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                    One thing I don't like is the new format for Subscriptions ..... Clicking on it gives me the last six comments on subscribed threads and no way to expand it to include all my subscriptions ..... I'd sooner have a concise list and open the thread if I want to see the content .......
                    Yeah, struggling with my subscriptions. I liked the subscription list on the old version. That's what I used most. I'm finding it challenging to get a list of my subscribed threads to see which have recent posts.

Comment

In the old version when you clicked on a thread that was in bold indicating there were posts you had not read it would bring you into that thread with a link on top saying "view unread posts". It would take you to the earliest post chronologically since you were last in the thread.

Has anyone come upon a similar function in the new version? The closest I have found is the two dots in the Last Post column of the thread listing which will take one to the last post in the thread from which you can work back up to the first post you don't remember seeing. It's workable but not as convenient as it was.
                      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Don, the downward pointing arrows to the left of the thread title takes you to the first unread post.
                        The yellow highlight on the left, below.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Ah Ha.

Thank you.
                          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Those little arrows are a great help, how do folks figure that stuff out??? Do just push buttons & see what happens, or are those things just common for folks that know the computer stuff
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                              Those little arrows are a great help, how do folks figure that stuff out??? Do just push buttons & see what happens, or are those things just common for folks that know the computer stuff
                              It's a little of both.
                              The arrow thing is common on many forums, INCLUDING THE OLD GSR forum, LOL....
                              And yes, I am not scared of clicking stuff. It is really hard to break software.
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Well, this thread has been very useful as a place to share how to do things in the new forum. But I'm finally ready to drop some gripes. I've watched several forums transition to newer designs over the decades. I don't mind learning new things, in fact I usually thrive on it, but message forums seem to be in a decades-long fad of decreased usability and marginally useful enhancements. I know we need the upgrade for security and compatibility and such. The new style just doesn't seem better to me. If anyone happens to know the SolidWorks user forums, that one has been upgraded to utter opacity.

With subject lines in the topics list every 4th or 5th line instead of every line, it's much more difficult to scan for threads I'm interested in. And with the ability to save an advanced search now apparently gone, I can't easily filter out the Vortex when I want. It's going to take a while to make peace with the new formatting, if I ever will. I'll keep looking for things I like better.

I appreciate that it was probably a monumental task to get the new platform up and running. I'm looking forward to some usability tweaks being found in the future. In the meantime, I hope folks keep posting tips. Thanks especially for the tip on the little icon that takes you to the first unread reply. I wasn't going to guess that little thing had a function.
                                Last edited by Dogma; 03-22-2022, 07:27 PM.
                                Dogma
                                --
                                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                                '80 GS850 GLT
                                '80 GS1000 GT
                                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                                X