The VB Messenger Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The VB Messenger Poll

Frank has a poll up in the Announcements forum asking whether we should drop VB Messenger, a feature added to this fun VB update we are now so enjoying. It is some sort of a chat thing that is in addition to Private Message which seemed all we needed for the last twenty years or so. In my opinion it is an answer to a question nobody asked and adds a layer of confusion. But whatever your opinion register it at the link below

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...f-vb-messenger
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Voting is now at 12-1 for getting rid of it. Simple PMs, it seems, are fine for almost all.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

12 + 1 = 13 total votes, that may be the total # of members that knew we had a VB Messenger or what it was...
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

VB messenger is an instant chat. It is like the old ICQ where two people can be receiving and sending conversation in real time without any lag. It's actually pretty handy.
        At this time, my mailbox is 100% non funtioning, zip, nada, useless. However VB messenger works fine and is my only way of communication with another member.
        So my vote is keep it for the real time chat function, which is not possible with pm's.
        Last edited by earlfor; 04-26-2022, 11:16 AM.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

without the explanation I am betting that 90% of the members here had no idea what you were talking about.... Me included

Pretty sure I saw a tick box in the settings for turning it off yourself in any case...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            without the explanation I am betting that 90% of the members here had no idea what you were talking about.... Me included

Pretty sure I saw a tick box in the settings for turning it off yourself in any case...
            Yes, there is a settings option for turning VB messenger off, but I see no reason to do so since it is inactive until the user selects it for a chat.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

Yep...no idea here....VB? How about first explaining what "VB" stands for? LOl
              No signature :(

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                VB messenger is an instant chat. It is like the old ICQ where two people can be receiving and sending conversation in real time without any lag. It's actually pretty handy.
                At this time, my mailbox is 100% non funtioning, zip, nada, useless. However VB messenger works fine and is my only way of communication with another member.
                So my vote is keep it for the real time chat function, which is not possible with pm's.
                I remember ICQ...when we had dial-up internet!

Realtime conversations were all about how to navigate through games like "Quake" and "Doom" and even get cheat tricks for "Sonic the Hedgehog".

I didn't realize it was part of this upgrade that has everyone learning new navigation skills. lol

It does benefit from having PMs clog up your space available. It's like Email Management 101...but people still like that style of correspondence.
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post

Yep...no idea here....VB? How about first explaining what "VB" stands for? LOl
                  Voice Blather. Real men don’t chat.
                  1979 GS1000
                  1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Thanks earl, for the description. No doubt the more folks that learn what it is, the more it may get used...Hopefully useful for some folks.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by DaveR View Post

Voice Blather. Real men don’t chat.
                      There is SO much truth to that simple and highly accurate statement.

I suspect those who reject such basic qualifications will soon timorously voice their objections to life and its realities..
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post

There is SO much truth to that simple and highly accurate statement.

I suspect those who reject such basic qualifications will soon timorously voice their objections to life and its realities..
                        Not being a member of the Neanderthal grunt and point club, I prefer conversations. lol

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post

I remember ICQ...when we had dial-up internet!

Realtime conversations were all about how to navigate through games like "Quake" and "Doom" and even get cheat tricks for "Sonic the Hedgehog".

I didn't realize it was part of this upgrade that has everyone learning new navigation skills. lol

It does benefit from having PMs clog up your space available. It's like Email Management 101...but people still like that style of correspondence.
                          For your mailbox, there are three options. You can use VB messenger, pm's, or turn both off (uncheck the box for them)
                          Only one may be enabled at a time

Normal condition is (my guess) pm's enabled, VB messenger off. You will receive email style pm's as always. You can send and receive but not in real time such as with a phone call.

If you select VB messenger, It is like the old ICQ. pm's must be turned off when messenger is to be used. It works like a phone call. You can type and send responses while simultaneously receiving replies. It is a scrolling screen that displays both sides of the conversation in real time, and is instantaneous. Its much more efficient if you wish to have a conversation with a friend talking about setting up next weeks bike ride, or whatever.

If you are set to VB messenger (chat), you can address your post to someone that has pm's enabled. They will receive what you send via your chat function in their pm mail inbox. Or put another way, If you have PM's enabled, you can receive a chat request, but you can't chat without enabling VB messenger.

These are my conclusions from toggling back and forth and getting my mail program to work right.

I hope this helps if anyone is struggling to get a handle on this like I was. heh
                          Last edited by earlfor; 04-28-2022, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            Thanks earl, for the description. No doubt the more folks that learn what it is, the more it may get used...Hopefully useful for some folks.
                            What troubles me is the poll was 13 to 1 for getting rid of messenger, and it appears no one knew what it does, or how it works, or the fact that it is inactive when the mailbox is set to pm's.and hence, uses no bandwidth.
                            Last edited by earlfor; 04-28-2022, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I have PM and Vb Messenger enabled at the same time. Another member just sent me a chat and I responded. Kind of neat that it opens the chat it a new window. OK, can I change my vote?

Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                              X