another new layout problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another new layout problem

Writing on another thread I pushed post # 2 & it showed up as Forum, written out in blue, I deleted Forum & put in the post # 2 again & the blue Forum came up again. I also had pnched post # 36 & it came out in blue something like From the for sale section, I know it sounds like I'm drunk but it happened, down in the carb section thread about the petcock replacement. I went back & wrote out the numbers & all was good. I tried another post, down there after that & that time it all worked fine. Another strange snafu.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

I’ve had that happen as well, sometimes a Home is substituted with the word Home that becomes a link and Forum substituted with the word Forum that becomes a link. Home & Forum

Edit:
    Case in point. Here’s what I actually wrote above but this time I’ve spelled out the numbers instead of using numerals:

I’ve had that happen as well, sometimes a #one is substituted with the word Home that becomes a link and #two substituted with the word Forum that becomes a link. #one & #two

I’ve also seen the word Blog with a link interjected randomly in other people’s posts.

Blogs & Groups
    actually #three & #four

Uncategorized Groups Special Visitor Messages Private Messages Albums #10. Wow, it gets more interesting:
    #five #six #seven #eight #nine #10. I guess it stops at 9.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-04-2022, 12:03 AM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yes, this happened to me last week when I was posting something about cylinders two and three. when I typed the actual numbers they appeared as blue links with blog and forum in place what I actually typed.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Interesting.

I don't know if this is a feature or a bug (maybe buggy feature?). The # sign followed by directly by a number or by certain text strings seems to serve as a function of some kind that pulls up words and phrases from elsewhere on the forum. Weird but pretty easy to work around--always put a space after #. Much easier to live with than many of the other issues we have had to address.

"#2" without the quotes posts as Forum

"# 2" without the quotes posts as # 2

"#999" without the quotes posts as Pingel Fuel Petcock

"#home" without the quotes posts as Home

"# home" without the quotes posts as # home

"#abcxyz" without the quotes posts as #abcxyz
        Last edited by dpep; 05-07-2022, 02:26 PM.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

How in the heck do ya'll figure this stuff out??? Do you just push buttons & see what comes out???
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Maybe this has already been covered, but, I see nothing in the new software that's better than the old. I hope it's cheaper to run, or maybe more stable on the back end. Because to users like me, it's been a significant downgrade.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Upgrading software isn't a choice. If you get too many versions behind support and security updates go away. I know Frank put this off as long as he possibly could. but he eventually had to bite the bullet. As bothersome as it has been for us it has been many times worse for him.

I don't think anyone had any significant issues with the old version. But fixing something even if it isn't broke is unfortunately the reality in the cyber world we all live in.

Nature bats last.

Comment

With regard to the # issue we have found that it is in fact a feature of the bbcode which is the variant of html code used in this version. But unlike other features we can't seem to find any documentation on it. Frank is now in the process of determining which 'features' can be safely turned off. Unfortunately most of his time right now is being spent fending off hacking intrusions. We evidently attract hacker interest from around the globe--a free website devoted to 40 year old motorcycles. Absolutely nuts.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Annnnd....... another little problem: everyone's signatures seem to have vaporized. This is truly a pity as there was a great bunch of useful info in those signatures.
                  Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                  1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                  1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
                    Annnnd....... another little problem: everyone's signatures seem to have vaporized. This is truly a pity as there was a great bunch of useful info in those signatures.
                    I see yours.....

"Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                    1981 GS1100E"
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Maybe this has already been covered, but, I see nothing in the new software that's better than the old. I hope it's cheaper to run, or maybe more stable on the back end. Because to users like me, it's been a significant downgrade.
                      Seems pretty much the same to me....no worse, no better....(except no 10 photo maximum...)
                      Just like jumping on an unfamiliar motorbike. Everything is there, it is just that the buttons are in new locations...
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
                        you need to go into your profile settings and turn on the ability to see them. I’m on my phone right now and can’t take an image of it but you’ll see it.

I will try to get a screenshot later
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

In order to see signatures:

Go to the top right of the page and pull down at your username. Go to My Profile, then Edit Settings, then the Account tab. Scroll down till you see this and check the box. Make sure to click the Save Changes button. Then you should be able to see members' signatures.

Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thank you Rich, just logged onto the computer to do the same
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Figuring It has got to be a much bigger PITA for Frank, Way more than for us.. Wondering if we had this for 40 yrs. then changed to the old way, we would probably have trouble figuring out the change. Both seem "about" the same only different. Again, THANK YOU FRANK!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X