Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long have you been riding? How many bikes have you had?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
    I'll see if I can get lucky with a photo again. My touring bike I bought new in 87.. IMG_20180629_0006.jpg
    How many miles a day would you put on it while touring? I had one for a couple of years, but sold it because I could barely get from Gilbert to Tucson without gassing up.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

I put a couple of 600 mile days on it no problem (Sheepskin helped). I still remember when I crossed into California I went over to the coast and got on this road that was the most fun ever. Lots of 2 downshifts into a corner and 2 up coming out, then hard on the brakes for the next one. Just a blast. Definetly a heavy pig but predictable. Always had a speed wobble at 120MPH though, I checked the steering head and it was set up perfectly, never found a steering damper for it that would fit with the scoops and look good.
      1986 1150EF
      2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

I rode mine across the state and found the range so limiting that I gave up on touring on it and traded it for a Miata that I autocrossed for a couple of years. The next bike for me was the 1150, which was a huge upgrade in the touring lane. Maxes are fun for sure, but I wished they had double the range.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

40 years. 30 bikes. Only 4 in shop right now.

Comment

Started riding when I was 23, so next year will be 15 years of riding. Oh where does the time go???
            Bikes owned that I put notable miles on from most miles to least
            1. Triumph Bonneville T120 (103K miles)
            2. Suzuki Bandit 1200 (88K miles)
            3. X2 Yamaha FZ1 (77K miles on one and 10K on another)
            4. Suzuki GS750L (60K miles)
            5. Kawasaki Concours 14 (44K miles)
            6. Suzuki B-King 1300 (15K miles)
            7. HD Street-Rod 750 (13K Miles)
            8. Suzuki Tu250X (11K miles)
            9. Yamaha FJ-09 (10K miles)
            10. X2 Yamaha FZ6 (10K miles)
            11. Yamaha VMAx1700 (7K miles)
            12. X2 Yamaha FZ6 (7K miles on one and 3K on another)
            13. Honda Monkey (4K miles)
            14. Honda GL1500 (3K miles)
            So many other bikes, I think I'm somewhere near 60 owned ranging from 500-3K miles ridden. I know I'm pushing half a million miles ridden, the 2020 season was the best on record of 41K miles in 1 Vermont riding season. Last year was 30K miles. With my daughter I have not ridden nearly as much as I wanted to with only 12K miles on for this year... Likely won't get much more than that with winter on it's way.
            Still trying to figure out how to install the car set on the Goldwing.
            Last edited by Jedz123; 10-26-2022, 07:38 AM.
            Jedz Moto
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2002 Honda Reflex 250
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
            2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
            Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Started riding at 17 in 1991. A friend come over on an RD400 and I asked if I could take it for a spin. It had to be bump started, for whatever reason, and he said if I could start it go ahead and ride. I figured, how hard could it be? I've done it with cars plenty of times. We went over a few basics and off I went, running down the street hoping like hell this worked. I threw a leg over, popped the clutch and away I went. Down the road, around the block again and again. I felt like I just learned to fly! Within a week I had a Honda Rebel 250. That was fun, but short lived. I sold it and walked over to the Honda dealer two blocks away where I test rode a Sportster 883, GS1100 GL and a GS 850G. The 850 just fit me so well I put the $700 from the sale of the Rebel as a down payment and agreed to make $75 payments every two weeks till it was paid off.

It's a good thing I had experience bump starting a bike. A week after buying the GS the stator crapped out. The dealer took it back and got it fixed, but didn't torque the bolts down on the cover so a hundred miles later I was in trouble. Again, the dealer took care of it and from then on it was a terriffic bike. I sold it and took a job in Macon, GA. It never occured to me I could ride the darn thing there, sure wish I had...

Ten years went by and I bought an XT225, then a KLR650. Rode those for a few years and had another ten year hiatus until I found a fneglected GS1100GL. Paid $200 for it and quickly got back in the groove. That's when I joined the GSR, looking for advice on wiring the headlight and turn signals after pulling the windjammer. I was blown away by how helpful the folks here are. The GS was caught up on maintenance and roadworthy in short order. Also sold in short order because I really missed the G model. After searching for an 850G, like my first one, we wound up taking a trip acrossed the state line to Colorado. Another neglected GS, but this one was a beauty! Again, the GSResources was an absolute blessing in getting that bike sorted. I've put over 30k miles on it so far and it's still running great!

I guess I've bought and sold five or six other bikes since getting this 850. Currently have just the two, 2003 FJR1300 and the '83 850G. Life keeps getting in the way of riding again and I'm trying not to have another long hiatus from bikes. It seems all I can do lately to get one of the bikes out every other week for a short ride. I'm afraid that season between the kids moving out and parents moving in is coming to an end.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
              X